PDA

View Full Version : any news of when registration will take place?

Cthulu
08-26-2006, 1:13 AM
Has anyone heard of when the DOJ is going to allow the window for registering
the AR's?, and wondering if other types can be registered also through this window? And.....I am curious if and when that day may be, will that mean we can use detachable mags since they will be registered as an (AW)?

Cheers......

TheMan
08-26-2006, 1:17 AM
Has anyone heard of when the DOJ is going to allow the window for registering
the AR's?, and wondering if other types can be registered also through this window? And.....I am curious if and when that day may be, will that mean we can use detachable mags since they will be registered as an (AW)?

Cheers......

It ended last week, sorry.

Maddog5150
08-26-2006, 1:20 AM
Yeah, DOJ did it really quickly. Looks like your a felon now.
BLUE TEAM GO! BLUE TEAM GO!

kantstudien
08-26-2006, 1:27 AM
Two weeks...;)

C.G.
08-26-2006, 1:33 AM
Two weeks...;)

Yup, two weeks.:rolleyes:

Mudvayne540ld
08-26-2006, 1:38 AM
the only things you would be able to register would be any receiver on the updated list. the DOJ is proably not going to list, as they have said in memo's, and intended with proposed change in CCR 978.20

chris
08-26-2006, 2:08 AM
anyone have a link to this registration period beginning and ending. checked the DOJ site and nothing of a registration period that i could find.

Mudvayne540ld
08-26-2006, 2:26 AM
there is not any reg. period at this time. If there is, it will be posted here, and on the DOJ site.

anotherted
08-26-2006, 2:49 AM
It ended last week, sorry.

AHH ha ha ha

blkA4alb
08-26-2006, 10:01 AM
as they have said in memo's, and intended with proposed change in CCR 978.20
I agree that they won't "list" but backing that up with saying "thats what they said in their latest memo" doesn't bring up the credibility in my book. They have said a lot of things in their memos, and they don't mean a thing.

Even if they change the CCR 978.20 and make my fixed mag rifle illegal it requires a registration period. They just want to be forced to open a registration by the courts so they don't look bad. This will all take quite awhile.

And there has not been a registration yet, for all the gullible people :rolleyes: .

tenpercentfirearms
08-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Even if they change the CCR 978.20 and make my fixed mag rifle illegal it requires a registration period.That is what you think. The DOJ is arguing that a rifle that doesn't have a "permanently" fixed mag has always been an assault weapon and they are just clarifying the rules for you. There will be no registration period. All your base belong to DOJ.

Now how that is going to fly in court when they allowed SKSs, FALs, Vulcan's, Bushmaster's, FAB-10s and everything else that isn't "permanent" in the last six years is beyond me and that is where your comment about being forced to list and save face is probably going to apply.

blkA4alb
08-26-2006, 10:17 AM
That is what you think. The DOJ is arguing that a rifle that doesn't have a "permanently" fixed mag has always been an assault weapon and they are just clarifying the rules for you. There will be no registration period. All your base belong to DOJ.

Now how that is going to fly in court when they allowed SKSs, FALs, Vulcan's, Bushmaster's, FAB-10s and everything else that isn't "permanent" in the last six years is beyond me and that is where your comment about being forced to list and save face is probably going to apply.
(Note, there is no ill intent toward your comment 10%, friendly debate :) .)

Sorry but my rifle is complying with the current definition of a fixed magazine, and a rifle with a fixed magazine is not banned under SB23. So no, it has not always been an AW. If by clarifying the law they make my rifle illegal, it requires a registration period. They cannot force me to modify my weapon for the new regulation, nor can they force me to sell it. If they do indeed make my rifle illegal and don't open the reg, they can expect a lawsuit.

Not to mention what you mentioned about them approving the Bushmasters and Fab10 for sale as well as the DSA FALs with pinned magazines.

xenophobe
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
The last two reg periods for AWs ended Jan 1 and Jan 24, 2001.

bwiese
08-26-2006, 11:32 AM
The DOJ has a huge 'detrimental reliance' problem for roughly half the OLLs sold - caused by their Deputy AG.

Tens of thousands of folks bought OLLs *after* her various memos were issued, including the Cat 4 memo of Feb 3 - when Deputy AG A.M. said they were indeed going to list. Effectively implicit in that was a "get 'em now" advisory that created a purchasing surge, esp in the Southland.

These folks were not Calgunners and joined the marketplace in very late Jan into March; many had not seen the FAQ, etc. and had just seen these items in gun stores or heard about them via personal word of mouth, with the effective message passed on by the DOJ, "Get 'em now, they're gonna list". The DOJ cannot say they could not expect this, as they had two (well, really three with the 1/23/01 extension) prior registration periods where panic buying occurred before cutoff dates.

fun2none
08-26-2006, 3:02 PM
The DOJ has a huge 'detrimental reliance' problem for roughly half the OLLs sold - caused by their Deputy AG.

Tens of thousands of folks bought OLLs *after* her various memos were issued, including the Cat 4 memo of Feb 3 - when Deputy AG A.M. said they were indeed going to list. Effectively implicit in that was a "get 'em now" advisory that created a purchasing surge, esp in the Southland.

These folks were not Calgunners and joined the marketplace in very late Jan into March; many had not seen the FAQ, etc. and had just seen these items in gun stores or heard about them via personal word of mouth, with the effective message passed on by the DOJ, "Get 'em now, they're gonna list". The DOJ cannot say they could not expect this, as they had two (well, really three with the 1/23/01 extension) prior registration periods where panic buying occurred before cutoff dates.

There is alot of interesting material regarding "Estoppel" at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel). Read the section on Reliance-based estoppels.

ketec_owner
08-27-2006, 10:37 AM
AB 2728 looks like it may allow the DOJ to list. If they do list - it would be some time after the governor signs the bill into law but before 1/1/07.

Seems to me that the DOJ would list after passage of this bill - but the bill does not force them to.

grammaton76
08-27-2006, 3:03 PM

Scenario time: 2728 passes, they don't list, court case starts up immediately using detrimental reliance. Case wins, but in 2007. AG has already lost the power to list.

So, I'm guessing that's "gee, yep, if we still had the power to list, we'd be forced to do that, wouldn't we?" territory.

Side note, this could be why AM was quoted saying something like, "let the NRA sue us"?

They may WANT a drawn out court case that will take until after Jan 1st, 2007 to end.

Also, I'm guessing that when you say "roughly half of" the lowers, you mean the ones she gave explicit letters for? I.e. Stag Arms, etc?