PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Gas to make a single shot?

EBWhite
08-26-2006, 12:09 AM
What is the best way to make a single shot AK or AR type rifle?

I'm thinking just remove the gas piston from an AK? Would that work? Then you can manually cycle the bolt each shot and pick a new cartridge up from the mag.

On an AR, a little trickier, without perm screwing up either weapon, what is the best option?

EB

Pthfndr
08-26-2006, 1:00 AM
On an AR, why would you want to? If you're going to make it a single shot, get a bolt gun.

BTW, it's real easy to do on an AR.

megavolt121
08-26-2006, 1:21 AM
For the AR, take off your front sight/gas block and remove the gas tube.

Let me know when you figure it out for the AK without permanently screwing it up.

TheMan
08-26-2006, 1:25 AM
For the AR, take off your front sight/gas block and remove the gas tube.

Let me know when you figure it out for the AK without permanently screwing it up.

It depends on the model of AK. Yugos have a gas shut off valve for their grenade launching system. Remove the valve, replace it with a shouldered bolt that is the same dimensions as the valve, and the gas system is completely shut off. I got the bolt from a local King Bolt, and tried it out at the range, it definitely shuts the gas system completely off.

EBWhite
08-26-2006, 2:39 AM
I'm thinking on an AK you could just remove the gas piston from the bolt assembly and the bolt should not move back when fired without the tight fitting gas piston is place....does that sound safe to do to anyone? haha

JHC
08-26-2006, 7:04 AM
You still have to block the gasses that are going to be rushing towards your face through the gas tube or your going to get burned

wayoutwest
08-26-2006, 8:08 AM
I turned one of mine into a single shot, but it was a perment fix. I silver soldered the gas block shut and then cut off the plunger end of the piston. It ended up working very well and works nice at the range much easier the using the fixed mag.

Mr. Ed
08-26-2006, 9:31 AM
I think JP Enterprises has an adjustable gas block that allows the shooter to control the amoun to gas going thru the gas tube. I think it also allows the shooter to completely block gas from going into the gas tube, thus making a single shot AR.

EBWhite
08-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I turned one of mine into a single shot, but it was a perment fix. I silver soldered the gas block shut and then cut off the plunger end of the piston. It ended up working very well and works nice at the range much easier the using the fixed mag.

Your talking about an AK, correct?

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if you did not silver solder the gas port if it would still have worked? I'm thinking the gasses would not burn you since anything would go up from the holes in the front... But then again, until I or someone else tests it, who knows?

JP gas block sounds like the best bet for an AR

My idea is making a single shot for CA and during being able to convert it when i travel outside the state of CA.

shinigami
08-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I definitely would like to get some more info about this single shot AR....I'm saving up to purchase an Ameetec side charging upper and it's perfect for "bolt action" type AR

Mr. Ed
08-26-2006, 1:44 PM
I definitely would like to get some more info about this single shot AR....I'm saving up to purchase an Ameetec side charging upper and it's perfect for "bolt action" type AR

White Oak Armament also makes side-charging AR uppers.

C123K_LoadMaster
08-26-2006, 2:25 PM
I installed a regulated gas tube on a SR-25 to fine tune the gas system, but it can be totally turned off to give you a single shot. Brownells sells them here: AR-15/M16 REGULATED GAS TUBE (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9947&title=AR-15%2fM16+REGULATED+GAS+TUBE)

http://www.fototime.com/983B408BC04F218/orig.jpg

What is the best way to make a single shot AK or AR type rifle?

I'm thinking just remove the gas piston from an AK? Would that work? Then you can manually cycle the bolt each shot and pick a new cartridge up from the mag.

On an AR, a little trickier, without perm screwing up either weapon, what is the best option?

EB

shinigami
08-26-2006, 2:31 PM
White Oak Armament also makes side-charging AR uppers.

Good to know, I'll check 'em out :)

EBWhite
08-26-2006, 3:03 PM
is the front sight (where the gas tube goes in) threaded? If so, you could also just put a bolt in also. How does the gas tube install? I've never completely taken an AR apart like that

The gas tube shut off at brownells looks like a good ticket. They sell a carbine and rifle length.

EB

fun2none
08-26-2006, 3:19 PM
is the front sight (where the gas tube goes in) threaded? If so, you could also just put a bolt in also. How does the gas tube install? I've never completely taken an AR apart like that

The gas tube shut off at brownells looks like a good ticket. They sell a carbine and rifle length.

EB

The gas tube is held into the front sight base (gas block) by a roll pin. If you want to block the gas port without permenantly (welding or cutting) modifying the gas block, simply make a plug out of steel rod that has the same diameter as the gas tube. Drill a hole across the plug to accomodate the original gas-tube roll pin. Install the plug & roll pin then enjoy you manually operated rifle.

You should be able to fabricate a plug using a drill press. Any machine shop would probably make this plug for beer money.

grammaton76
08-27-2006, 2:26 PM
For the AK's, the *best* way to do it is to build yourself a Yugo M70 with a factory-new barrel. Don't drill the gas port, just install the barrel as is. You'll have to move the sights and gas block off of the old barrel and onto the new one, but that's it.

There will be NO way that can be considered a semi auto or even readily restorable to semi auto barrel. This is why I have five new barrels sitting ready for installation. :)

Side note, going bolt-action puts you into the 26" OAL category, which means you don't have to have a really unwieldly extended rifle if you're going for an underfolder. Which, of course, I am. :)

Q
08-27-2006, 3:59 PM
It depends on the model of AK. Yugos have a gas shut off valve for their grenade launching system. Remove the valve, replace it with a shouldered bolt that is the same dimensions as the valve, and the gas system is completely shut off. I got the bolt from a local King Bolt, and tried it out at the range, it definitely shuts the gas system completely off.

good to know. those yugos are starting to look pretty good!

EBWhite
08-27-2006, 4:09 PM
Gram- where can we find one of those new barrels at?

TheMan
08-27-2006, 4:30 PM
Gram- where can we find one of those new barrels at?

Centerfire Systems has them $80, or $75/each if you get 5 or more.