PDA

View Full Version : cutting and welding a .22LR rifle barrel to less than 16"

icentropy
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
If i wanted to reduce the speed on my .22LR rifle by shortening the barrel to 6" could I remove the barrel from the rifle, cut and recrown to 6" and weld a 10.5" tube to the end of it? (does that tube count as a suppressor of any kind even if the end is left completely open?

what about if i drill huge (.5") holes all over the tube (turning it into more of a cage) so there's no way anyone could say it's quieting anything down, it'd be more like a flash suppressor.

I can guarentee that a rifle with a 6" barrel and a welded on 10.5" completely open "flash suppressor" would be way louder than a 16" standard barrel.

mdimeo
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Just buy cb caps or those aguila SSS rounds :)

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Just buy cb caps or those aguila SSS rounds :)

The SSS rounds need a fast twist to fly properly. The Aguila Calibres and Super Calibres are a lot of fun though.

icentropy
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
The SSS rounds need a fast twist to fly properly. The Aguila Calibres and Super Calibres are a lot of fun though.

Yeah I use the SSS rounds on my AR .22LR conversion kits and they fly good with the 1/9 twist. Problem with all the other subsonic rounds are they're expensive and they won't cycle a semi auto. I was thinking i'd like to have a rifle setup to shoot Bulk Federal ammo but keep it subsonic and still cycle correctly. Best way i could think of doing that is with a 6" barrel with a huge welded on extension or a regular barrel with a few exhaust ports drilled at around the 8" range. Needless to say my preference would be just to cut down and recrown a barrel and weld an extension as i think it would be a lot more accurate.

As far as i can tell as long as the tube is welded to the barrel it is legal from a 16" standpoint right? I'm just trying to figure out if that would be legal from a suppressor standpoint. can the tube be solid (so it still looks like a regular barrel, basically the equivalent of reaming out the barrel to a thin wall for the last 10") or does the tube need to be turned into a cage like thing?

tgriffin
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
If the barrel extension modifies the sound signature even 1 db it could be considered a suppressor. Considering that seems to be your goal, I'd tread very carefully.

icentropy
01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
If the barrel extension modifies the sound signature even 1 db it could be considered a suppressor. Considering that seems to be your goal, I'd tread very carefully.

No, definetely not my goal. and I'm sure it'd modify the sound signature by making it way louder. My .22 pistols are way way louder than my .22 rifles. If i shortened the barrel to 6" with a 10" "flash suppressor" i'd imagine the sound would be about equivalent to a .22LR pistol.

So is that the case? basically if it's quieter than it was, it's a suppressor? But if it's as loud or louder, then it's fine?

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
I have a Remington factory .22lr barrel that has a .22 cal barrel for about 8" or so and then opens up to approximately a .410 barrel. although it is completely a smoothbore, it should give you a little insight as to what has been marketed before and it's definately legal.

Bhobbs
01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Why not just have a gunsmith bore out the barrel to a larger diameter and cut slots along the length? That way you don't run in to any SBR issues if there would be any.

tonelar
01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
how about reaming out 10" of rifling? or would it be too hard to insure you still have a decent crown in there?

wash
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
To be safe, just drill out the rifling from the muzzle end, that will allow the gasses to get past the bullet, keep the bore concentric to the bullet path and avoid any SBR drama.

Just get a piloted drill made for .22 lr barrel sleeves.

icentropy
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I have a Remington factory .22lr barrel that has a .22 cal barrel for about 8" or so and then opens up to approximately a .410 barrel. although it is completely a smoothbore, it should give you a little insight as to what has been marketed before and it's definately legal.

PERFECT! that's what i needed to know. I can do the work myself i just didn't know if having that "cavity" inside the barrel would pose anytype of problem from a "suppressor" standpoint. It looks like remington already did exactly what i was wanting to do. Insuring a good crown that deep into a bore might be a problem though. I thought it would be easier to cut the barrel to the 6" length put a good crown and thread the end and mill slots into the threads lengthwise, then make the extension out of aluminum (so i don't have that much steel hanging off the end) thread that, then permanently locktite them together AND "weld" (basically just melt it onto) the aluminum down into the slots in the threads in the steel so it's truly permanent and can't be removed. then just paint the aluminum black so you can't tell it's an extension. I'd end up with a 6" rifled barrel with a permenent lightweight aluminum extension out to 16.5".

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
PERFECT! that's what i needed to know. I can do the work myself i just didn't know if having that "cavity" inside the barrel would pose anytype of problem from a "suppressor" standpoint. It looks like remington already did exactly what i was wanting to do. Insuring a good crown that deep into a bore might be a problem though. I thought it would be easier to cut the barrel to the 6" length put a good crown and thread the end and mill slots into the threads lengthwise, then make the extension out of aluminum (so i don't have that much steel hanging off the end) thread that, then permanently locktite them together AND "weld" (basically just melt it onto) the aluminum down into the slots in the threads in the steel so it's truly permanent and can't be removed.

Yea, I think the crown would be an issue. Again, my example is a smoothbore .22lr so, the crown wasn't a big deal. Just an open tube at the end of the muzzle should not change the overall sound signature. It will just dirrect it forward. At least, I think that's the case.

If you are interested in seeing the gun/barrel that I'm talking about, you're close enough that we can work something out.

icentropy
01-26-2011, 1:28 PM
...Just an open tube at the end of the muzzle should not change the overall sound signature. It will just dirrect it forward. At least, I think that's the case...

That's basically what i was thinking. I just wanted to run it by you guys first to get a warm comfy feeling about it. Once i cut the barrel up, there's no going back and i don't want to end up with anything that could get me in trouble. Especially since this is on a M&P 15-22 and they still don't make aftermarket barrels for them. I know that AR guys have been welding flash suppressors on short barrels for years with no problems (legally). My only concern is, when going from a 2.5" flash hider to a 11" flash hider, does the flash hider become more than just that (legally)?

xenophobe
01-26-2011, 2:56 PM
Legal.

Actually a number of older match grade 22 rifles had a significant portion of their barrel back bored so that the effective barrel length were much shorter than the actual barrel. Mostly for weight and to maintain visual appeal.

But as suggested, CB/BB/Super Calibri.

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2011, 4:14 PM
Legal.

Actually a number of older match grade 22 rifles had a significant portion of their barrel back bored so that the effective barrel length were much shorter than the actual barrel. Mostly for weight and to maintain visual appeal.

But as suggested, CB/BB/Super Calibri.

I believe you but, I've never seen a .22lr (except for Routledges) which were backbored. Can you point to a factory example? I want to learn.

xenophobe
01-26-2011, 5:44 PM
I believe you but, I've never seen a .22lr (except for Routledges) which were backbored. Can you point to a factory example? I want to learn.

No I can't really provide any examples, they were mostly custom single shot Olympic or fancy grade target guns made around the turn of the Century up until the 20's or 30's I believe. I've seen more recent models where they were backbored or counterbored.... whatever you want to call it, but I don't recollect any specific manufacturer producing them in quantity. I know I've seen at least a couple dozen of them over the years though. Sorry I can't be more specific. They never piqued my curiosity so I never really bothered to learn more about them.

I guess do a search on Schuetzen rifles... that's about as close as I can find to anything that looked similar. They were usually single shot rolling blocks with very ornate stocks, grips and sights, often with octagonal barrels.... and they weren't always backbored, but there were a number that I've seen backbored from a few inches to more than half the barrel length.

If you know anyone that's really into antique firearms... or if you know Phil Filardo, he usually had a few at any given time and if he still does gun shows, you can ask him next time you see him. I learned most of what I know about antique firearms from him.

slappomatt
01-26-2011, 9:55 PM
I still don't understand why you want to. You want it to be subsonic but not for noise? why then? :confused: