PDA

View Full Version : Newb... Safety Course Sunday... next step?

ziege
08-25-2006, 5:13 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for any and all tips and pointers. My story: I grew up in OC and didn't (and still don't) know anyone who hunts in California. Now I'm in the High Desert and I want to go hunting for the first time... but this is all very new to me.

I don't really have modern "hunter" gear... I have a 6.5x55 mauser I'm not bad with, and a T/C Omega .50 Muzzle Loader I've been sighting in... either would be suitable for a range of game...and I have some other odds and ends (binoculars, boots, and so on) but it isn't the gear that has me scratching my head. It's the whole "where, when, and how" of California hunting... especially within a reasonable ( 5 hour? I don't even know how big a circle to draw on the map) drive of Barstow. The real-world stuff I guess you'd say.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes... or what did you do when you were in my shoes? Or what shouldn't I do even?

Thanks,

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 5:26 PM
Here are some basics that can get you started.

1. Define what you want to hunt.
2. Define the area in which you want to hunt.
3. Find out the season for said hunt.
4. It does help to pick up the DFG reg books in stores or on line. It defines the season and the "take rates" for the year prior.

If one area has a 25% take rate and another has a 5% take rate, go to the area with the better take rate.

jmlivingston
08-25-2006, 5:32 PM
Check out www.jesseshunting.com, some of the other forums around have a good hunting section as well. I just started watching www.savageshooters.net thanks to one of the other members here, they have a couple of forums specific to hunting that might be worth reading.

I'll agree with Ragweed though, you need to decide what you want to hunt: deer, bear, boar, coyote, rabbit, etc. To get a hunting license you will need to take a Hunters Safety course, the instructor and possibly other attendees may be able to help you out as well.

John

ziege
08-25-2006, 6:03 PM
I'll be at the hunter safety course Sunday morning (at 6:30AM....)...

I have a personal rule that I won't kill anything that isn't either a) actively attacking me or b) good to eat.

So I guess the answers are:
1) Pigs, Deer, edible small game; No coyote, bear, rat, or other animals unless they are comin right for us!
2) As close to Barstow as is reasonable (within about 5 hours drive)
3) Pigs are always in season, other game varies...
4) I thought I grabbed one of those booklets from the ammo counter at wal-mart earlier today, but I must've left it there. I guess the problem with pigs is that almost all the take is on private land which means $$$.

I'll look at jesseshunting and savageshooters... thanks!

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 6:21 PM
Good luck and have fun with that 6.5. I have three myself and think it is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot.

jmlivingston
08-25-2006, 6:36 PM
I have a personal rule that I won't kill anything that isn't either a) actively attacking me or b) good to eat.

So I guess the answers are:
1) Pigs, Deer, edible small game; No coyote, bear, rat, or other animals unless they are comin right for us!
2) As close to Barstow as is reasonable (within about 5 hours drive)
3) Pigs are always in season, other game varies...

I run by a similiar rule as you do, just can't justify hunting coyotes to myself though it sounds like fun. "Just take what you need."

I'm curious, why no bear? Supposedly good eating, it's closely related to pig and provides roasts, bacon, and sausage. The hide can be made into a nice rug/blanket as well. Tags are easy to get, probably the only big-game tag you can still get for this year except for pig. You can head up to the Eastern Sierras, black bear are known to run from Kennedy Meadows on north. I'm hoping to get one while I'm deer hunting in the Owens Valley area.

John

ziege
08-25-2006, 9:07 PM
No bear because... well, probably ignorance on my part really. I thought they were only good to eat when they were stuffing themselves with blueberries or something like that.

As I said, I'm a newb. :)

jmlivingston
08-25-2006, 9:24 PM
You should look into a bear tag then. Basically they issue tags out to anyone, the season ends at either the end of the year or when a certain number of bears are harvested. Last year the season ran it's full length, and as I recall they were one or two hundred below their harvest limit of 1700 bears or so. Jesses Hunting has a specific forum for each type of game, including bear.

John

ziege
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm researching it now actually.. thanks! As you say, Jesses Hunting has a wealth of information... this'll keep me busy for a while. :D

BTW: Ragweed... I really like my 6.5... flat, accurate, and downright fun... and it looks great in "original configuration..." Pretty amazing to think it was made in 1912! I've been toying with getting a more modern rifle (maybe a Rem. 700 in 7mm Mag.) but so far I've been very pleased with what I've got.

chris
08-26-2006, 6:01 AM
I'm researching it now actually.. thanks! As you say, Jesses Hunting has a wealth of information... this'll keep me busy for a while. :D

BTW: Ragweed... I really like my 6.5... flat, accurate, and downright fun... and it looks great in "original configuration..." Pretty amazing to think it was made in 1912! I've been toying with getting a more modern rifle (maybe a Rem. 700 in 7mm Mag.) but so far I've been very pleased with what I've got.

ziege you have a great rifle there. i have one and my friend does also. it's a great rifle for deer in california. it will drop most deer in one shot. if you are into reloading? i suggest reloading this round because it is hard to find comercially. also great round to reload. a 7mm would be a great addition. but i have to say the 6.5 is the best rifle i bought on a whim when i saw it. not disapointed in anyway.

it's a great round for whackin coyotes too. so enjoy this rifle. i sure have.

ziege
08-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Yep, I'm happy with this rifle... happy with both my rifles actually once I put a peep sight on the Omega (the stock T/C light pipe sights are... incompatible with my training I guess you'd say) but the mauser is special. I saw one, was really impressed with the fit and finish and overall design, did some research and said "yeah"... then went to a now-closed gun store in Orange County that had a wooden rack full of rifles including a bunch of $59 SKSes ("they're cheap buy two") and about 20 M96es next to the reloading supplies. I think the employees were rolling their eyes a bit as I went though everything I could but I wound up with what I thought was the best of 20.

I do handload a bit... but if you think factory loads are scarce now... in the mid-90s I could find 139gr soft nose or spitzer and that's about it for factory ammo or components. Maybe it was just where I was shopping. Now I can find 85, 100, 120, 125, 130, 140, 160, and other weight bullets of various designs... and a pretty wide range of factory loads too. I just haven't had time to try loading all of them yet.

I finished the hunter safety class yesterday... all pretty interesting though I suspect I could've passed the test before I got there. I did fine. The person I brought with me also did fine. I now have a card that'll probably get a stamp later today...

At times I did feel like a bit of an alien in the class. At one point they asked how many people were there for the (dove?) season opener and just about every hand went up... big game got only a few hands.... a few months ago it might've been the other way around I guess. I started a few conversations but most people were more into the bird side of things. I have two problems with birds... first, I don't own a shotgun, second... I've watched skeet and trap shooters and the ones that can actually hit those clay targets again and again have some serious skills -- I'm not dumb enough to think I could even approach those skills without a bunch of practice, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable bird hunting without a lot more skill than I'll have this year.

So... more research to do... but at least one hurdle has been crossed. :D

Wyseguy
01-19-2007, 9:44 AM
Could anyone give me the location of a Hunter's Safety course in the Ventura/L.A. Co. area.
Thanks

rkt88edmo
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Could anyone give me the location of a Hunter's Safety course in the Ventura/L.A. Co. area.
Thanks

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/

Click on "Class Schedule"

rod
01-19-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.raahauges.com/huntersafety.htm