PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Safe!

EasyE
01-26-2011, 7:50 AM
I have a tight budget ($0-$400), but need to purchase a safe. Can anybody recommend a quality brand, and store or website to purchase a safe. I would also prefer a combination lock as opposed to the electronic key pad.

I have been perusing the internet but there is a lot to pick from. I contemplated a gun cabinet, but the decreased security for cost saving purposes is not very reassuring.

Any help would be appreciated! TIA.

00BuckShot
01-26-2011, 8:08 AM
How big of a safe are you looking for? Long gun? Hand gun? Ammo?

foxtrotuniformlima
01-26-2011, 8:24 AM
Home Depot ha a Sentry Brand 14 gun for $ 349.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100196980/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

EasyE
01-26-2011, 8:26 AM
One that can hold an AR, a pistol and ammo....for now ;)

I'd like to have a little extra room for future purchases and personal items though. (files,valuables, and such)

sniper4usmc
01-26-2011, 8:29 AM
sentry or stackon

EasyE
01-26-2011, 8:32 AM
Home Depot ha a Sentry Brand 14 gun for $ 349.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100196980/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Right on! Thanks, I checked lowes but forgot to check Home depot. That's pretty much what I am looking for. More secure than a cabinet but cost savings because its not fire proof and all that.

kablooie
01-26-2011, 8:49 AM
Right on! Thanks, I checked lowes but forgot to check Home depot. That's pretty much what I am looking for. More secure than a cabinet but cost savings because its not fire proof and all that.

dont forget to get a Lowe's 10% off coupon in the USPS movers packet at the post office. Home depot accepts these coupons... they came in nice during my bathroom remodel. ;)

EasyE
01-26-2011, 9:16 AM
dont forget to get a Lowe's 10% off coupon in the USPS movers packet at the post office. Home depot accepts these coupons... they came in nice during my bathroom remodel. ;)

Do they really?? Thanks! I think I even have one sitting in my desk at home, since I recently moved.

AEW
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Don't overlook the local Craigslist ads. Many people are getting rid of safes due to downsizing, or need money. You can find some pretty good deals there if you know what you're looking at. However, I've also seen people advertise safes at a higher cost than buying new at the store. Just remember to do your research, look the item over carefully, and do a cash transaction so that the seller won't know where you live!

BayAreaShooter
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Here is another option for you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-10-Gun-Safe-With-Combination-Lock/11071327

Zachs300zx
01-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Costco usually has one on sale for just a little more than that. These are more secure and even have 30-60 minutes of fire protection.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11542470&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&Mo=30&pos=1&No=14&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC35780-Cat88187&topnav=national

Free delivery too. Not bad for a 407 lbs.

srt4geezer
01-26-2011, 1:16 PM
Tractor supply sells the Sentry that Home Depo sells, but it's fire rated & has the keypad instead of the combo. $399 No way I can do a combo at night.
I like mine.

EasyE
01-26-2011, 1:25 PM
Don't overlook the local Craigslist ads. Many people are getting rid of safes due to downsizing, or need money. You can find some pretty good deals there if you know what you're looking at. However, I've also seen people advertise safes at a higher cost than buying new at the store. Just remember to do your research, look the item over carefully, and do a cash transaction so that the seller won't know where you live!

Right. I was checking craigslist, both in san diego and up in LA. I didn't see any that fit was i was looking for, either they were too big, too small, too beat up... Until I buy one though i will continue to check there.

Here is another option for you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-10-Gun-Safe-With-Combination-Lock/11071327

Yeah, I was looking at that one. It fits my needs pretty well, and I like the shelf on the door. I think if I were to purchase one tomorrow (hypothetically) I would be choosing between that one or the one from home depot, mentioned a few posts back.

I actually went to home depot, on my lunch, to check it out. It seems fine for what I need. I wasn't blown away or anything, but it did have some nice features about it that I liked, such as, there was another lockable container within the safe, I thought that might be handy.

Costco usually has one on sale for just a little more than that. These are more secure and even have 30-60 minutes of fire protection.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11542470&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&Mo=30&pos=1&No=14&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC35780-Cat88187&topnav=national

Free delivery too. Not bad for a 407 lbs.

I have contemplated those costco safes before but they are a bit out of my budget at the moment. That's a lot of safe too, for my set up it wouldn't be very practical. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EasyE
01-26-2011, 1:44 PM
Tractor supply sells the Sentry that Home Depo sells, but it's fire rated & has the keypad instead of the combo. $399 No way I can do a combo at night.
I like mine.

I checked their website and the one I saw seemed almost exactly like the one at home depot except it was $300, about 30lbs lighter, came in either a combo or electronic keypad. Not a bad deal at all, but the problem is that it's an in-store item only and there are no tractor supply stores very near by.

In regards to doing a combo at night; There is no way I could do a combo at night either, especially in the dark, just waking up (or being woken up) and trying to be quick and silent about it....its not happening haha. That is the reason why I am going to keep a pistol in my night stand, at night, and lock it up when I leave.

To be entirely honest though...and say what you will...the real reason I don't want an electronic safe is because I fear of an EMP attack. Now I don't loose sleep over it, but I do NOT like the thought of not being able to have access to my guns when I need them most. If in fact that is the chosen method of attack. (by whomever)

Helpful_Cub
01-26-2011, 2:33 PM
Walmart, they even deliever.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-26-2011, 3:04 PM
...the real reason I don't want an electronic safe is because I fear of an EMP attack.

:TFH:

llamatrnr
01-26-2011, 3:42 PM
pm sent

bsg
01-26-2011, 5:19 PM
if $400.00 is your ceiling price and you have cash... i'd suggest you save some more and buy a used safe on the secondary market. CL was mentioned and that's a good site to search on imo.

get a safe you will grow into, not one you will quickly grow out of. the "safe world" is akin to the computer world; 8 months later and it can be an entirely different world, and your spacial and storage needs can quickly escalate and expand.

EasyE
01-26-2011, 7:22 PM
:TFH:

I'm not sure what that smiley means...

EasyE
01-26-2011, 7:29 PM
if $400.00 is your ceiling price and you have cash... i'd suggest you save some more and buy a used safe on the secondary market. CL was mentioned and that's a good site to search on imo.

get a safe you will grow into, not one you will quickly grow out of. the "safe world" is akin to the computer world; 8 months later and it can be an entirely different world, and your spacial and storage needs can quickly escalate and expand.

Yeah, you're right. I have considered this. The thing is 1) I don't have a lot of guns (1 AR and 1 hand gun to be exact) and 2) I'm not settled down yet. As in, I don't own a home, have a wife, kids etc. So I predict that I will be moving a few more times, so I don't want to have a safe where it is a colossal pain in the butt to move.

I feel the 10 gun safes I have been looking at are reasonable for my needs. I feel like I could grow into them a bit, as well as have them not be too heavy. I also live in a second floor apt.

gravedigger
01-26-2011, 7:44 PM
Be careful with Craig's List. There are a lot of thieves working that site. You have to be extra careful to protect yourself.

Example 1.

Craig's list ad for a shiny gun safe, sold at a ridiculously low price. The seller is such a swell guy, he'll even deliver it to your home for free and he and two of his buddies will carry it inside for you! What a SWELL GUY!

Of course, he now knows the safe's location, the safe's combination (or he has a copy of the keys), your phone number, where you work and your shift (you shared it with him while you were sharing small talk), the layout of your home, what locks you have on the front door, whether you have a dog, or kids, or an alarm ...

Example #2.

You are called to a vacant home to pick up the safe. The seller has already moved out, and the safe is the last thing to remove. So you show up with cash.

Now you're lying dead in the garage of a vacant home which the seller used to lure you into a trap. Your money is gone, the safe (if it even existed) left with him/them, and your body isn't discovered for six weeks.

Example #3.

You purchased it from a "business."

The ad says, "Corporate Safe Depot." You call the seller who answers the phone, "Corporate Safe Depot. How may I help you?" You inquire about the safe in the ad. He tells you there is only one left, and that another person is coming over to buy it, but the seller isn't sure he will actually follow through. So, "I really shouldn't do this but ..." if you give him your name, credit card number, SIC code, and billing zip code for the card NOW to finalize the purchase, he'll tell the other guy it is sold, and you can pick it up later in the afternoon or get free delivery to your door.

The seller used a Trackfone he just bought at 7-11. He paid cash. It is not traceable to him. AFTER you have made your 'purchase', you Google "CORPORATE SAFE DEPOT" to discover that it doesn't exist. Before you can dial 9-1-1, your phone rings. Your credit card company wants to know about the $38,000.00 boat you just bought in Madagascar with your credit card!

BEWARE of Craig's List!

tube snake boogie
01-26-2011, 8:01 PM
Be careful with Craig's List. There are a lot of thieves working that site. You have to be extra careful to protect yourself.

Example 1.

Craig's list ad for a shiny gun safe, sold at a ridiculously low price. The seller is such a swell guy, he'll even deliver it to your home for free and he and two of his buddies will carry it inside for you! What a SWELL GUY!

Of course, he now knows the safe's location, the safe's combination (or he has a copy of the keys), your phone number, where you work and your shift (you shared it with him while you were sharing small talk), the layout of your home, what locks you have on the front door, whether you have a dog, or kids, or an alarm ...

Example #2.

You are called to a vacant home to pick up the safe. The seller has already moved out, and the safe is the last thing to remove. So you show up with cash.

Now you're lying dead in the garage of a vacant home which the seller used to lure you into a trap. Your money is gone, the safe (if it even existed) left with him/them, and your body isn't discovered for six weeks.

Example #3.

The ad says, "Corporate Safe Depot." You call the seller who answers the phone, "Corporate Safe Depot. How may I help you?" You inquire about the safe in the ad. He tells you there is only one left, and that another person is coming over to buy it, but the seller isn't sure he will actually follow through. So, "I really shouldn't do this but ..." if you give him your name, credit card number, SIC code, and billing zip code for the card NOW to finalize the purchase, he'll tell the other guy it is sold, and you can pick it up later in the afternoon or get free delivery to your door.

The seller used a Trackfone he just bought at 7-11. He paid cash. It is not traceable to him. AFTER you have made your 'purchase', you Google "CORPORATE SAFE DEPOT" to discover that it doesn't exist. Before you can dial 9-1-1, your phone rings. Your credit card company wants to know about the $38,000.00 boat you just bought in Madagascar with your credit card!

BEWARE of Craig's List!

LMFAO, I agree that common sense is in order, but, OMG, this is tooo much...:chris:
Feel free to verify your paranoia with real world experiences, otherwise the aliens will pick you up in Roswell for more experiments and to evaluate your withering brain stem..:cool:

EasyE
01-26-2011, 9:29 PM

Example 1.

Example #2.

Example #3.

BEWARE of Craig's List!

LOL Classic...OORR, you're the thief and you go over and hold him at gun point...you already know he has a safe so he's bound to have some guns, and probably some cash....;)

But in all seriousness, you are not TOO far off, you do have to be cautious when dealing, even with what seems to be SWELL people. ;)

n6vmo
01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
$499 at Costco....

http://www.n6vmo.com/Links/DSC_0075.jpg