View Full Version : transport a handgun on foot to range

08-25-2006, 4:41 PM
So if transport in the trunk of ones car is acceptable for going to the range or something, is it legal to walk to the range (if its close by) with a hand gun in a locked box and unloaded?

08-25-2006, 4:53 PM
Yes, it would even be legal to walk with it open and not concealed. Though you couldn't carry ammunition that way as well. If you do this in a public/city setting however you could get booked for disturbing the peace if people start freaking out.

08-25-2006, 6:44 PM
I've gone by bicycle before :)

08-25-2006, 8:22 PM
I am also not sure I understand the requirements for locked box. Does the pistol case that they come in with a padlock suffice? how about a small pelican case with padlock?

08-25-2006, 8:24 PM
If you cannot access the handgun without using a key to open the case than it is locked. A pelican case would be great. If you can pry the case open however thats a wobbler.

08-25-2006, 8:36 PM
now no taking my head off for asking a similar question and sounding like i am dense or something, but I seem to remember some 'california approved box' or something. Is there like a checklist of properties a california approved box must have in order hold that name?

08-25-2006, 8:39 PM
A locked container is a locked container. You are probably thinking of the california approved safes.

08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I've considered biking up to Chabot many times. This was always a sticking point...and the need to eat every snickers bar in the snack machine once I got there.

08-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Any locking container (combination, key, etc. lock) is acceptable. I believe even locakble soft-cases are fine.

Unloaded (ammunition not in a position ready for firing) of course.

That's it. I have a few nice small non-descript hard-shell combo lock cases.