PDA

View Full Version : ADI Australia?

kurac
08-25-2006, 4:53 PM
I was cleaning the M1 Garand I just bought and stamped under the receiver is ADI Australia. The reciever is a Springfield in the 7million range.

Can anyone provide any information

thanks in advance.

Fjold
08-25-2006, 5:57 PM
ADI is a private company that works with the Australian military. Maybe it was tested there for Australian Defence Force use?

Ask them : http://www.adi-limited.com/

Mssr. Eleganté
08-25-2006, 9:57 PM
The receivers were made in Australia for Springfield Armory Inc. of Geneseo, IL. Springfield used them to build commercial copies of the M1 rifle. I believe this started in the 1980's.

Real M1 rifles made by the government run Springfield Armory in Massachusetts had serial numbers that ranged up to 6 million something. So SA Inc. started numbering theirs in the 7 million range.

6172crew
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.adi-limited.com/2-01-010-010-026.html

Sorry, me like this one. Sarco has a receiver in stock only $1000:eek:

kurac
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Ahh, I got taken, is it a forged or cast receiver? It looks like a military reciever but of course there are no stamps other than the usual:

US Rifle
CAL 30 M1
Springfield Armory
700XXX

xenophobe
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Ah yes, the Lithgow Garand receivers. From what I understand those are really nice. Their Enfields are better than the Brits, and as you can see by the link, they're also official for Styer.

rollyourown
08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Your Ausi Garand receiver will work for many years for you. They may be new production from the 80's, but they are quality reproductions. If it had not been for the cheap garands and m-1s that came into the states in the early 1990's Springfield would still be making these receivers.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Ahh, I got taken, is it a forged or cast receiver? It looks like a military reciever but of course there are no stamps other than the usual:

US Rifle
CAL 30 M1
Springfield Armory
700XXX

If the seller sold it to you as a USGI rifle then yes, you got taken. But like everybody else has said, it is a good rifle otherwise. They assembled them with USGI and Italian parts.

On its own the rifle isn't really considered "collectible", but if you eventually end up with a collection of 5 or 6 Garands, the commercial Springfield/Lithgow rifle can fit in nicely as an important example in the history of the M1 Rifle.

kurac
08-26-2006, 12:45 AM
It was sold as a shooter and is in like new condition. I guess it does not qualify as a C&R since the receiver is newer. The bolt and trigger group are SA marked while the barrel and other parts have no marks. The stock is new and also has no marks. If it shoots good I guess it can be a keeper, I was just dissappointed to see the the ADI Australia under the receiver.