PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Area Fishing

gdr_11
01-25-2011, 8:44 PM
Since times are tough financially, I am taking up fishing again and stopping my expensive shooting habits. Tomorrow I am going to Rancho Seco for some trout fishing, then will do a day at the Port fishing minnows for stripers. In the next month I plan to go to Collins, Amador, and Pardee for trout, plus the Feather River for February stripers and hopefully get some catfishing in too.

How about sharing some of your fishing plans and posting results here? Also, I no longer have a boat, but know excellent spots on many local waters, and would be glad to share them since my future action will be limited to bank fishing unless I bum a ride from someone.

707ace
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Trade hunting for shooting. Shoot less rnds hunt more. If you have the time get a good pair of binoculars and look for some thing to kill.

gdr_11
01-26-2011, 4:43 PM
Today was too foggy for the drive to Rancho Seco. I went to the Deep Water Channel instead and drifted minnows for a couple of hours at high tide. Landed one 18" striper as shown in the photo. I know, it looks like 6" in the photo, but that is what a cell camera does to perspective.

Bottom line is no one else I talked to caught anything. It was nice to be out even if cold and damp.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/gdr_11/CIMG0088.jpg

tony270
01-26-2011, 6:24 PM
Keep at it, the next one cound be that 50 pounder in the delta.

chickenfried
01-27-2011, 2:04 PM
I don't know about saving money fishing :p. Fishing license, bait, tackle, etc. Broke my spare freshwater pole crabbing with a snare. But enjoyed crabbing now I need a salwater rig and to replace the broken freshwater pole.

T.K.
01-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Nice striper. I've been saying it's time to go fishing for months.

With this new 6 day a week job, though...looks like I'll be waiting longer.

bbguns44
01-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Do you know where to go for shad fishing on American river ? I've always wanted
to try that. Seems like a lot of action when they hit.

586L-Frame
01-28-2011, 1:14 AM
Do you know where to go for shad fishing on American river ? I've always wanted
to try that. Seems like a lot of action when they hit.

In the old days, we use to put on waders and fished for shads below Nimbus Dam, before the area became a Aquatic Center. Don't know it fishing is still allowed there now though.

Others use to fish for shad at the minnow hole on the sacramento river off of Riverside near the pocket area, using shad darts.
586L-Frame

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Good luck saving money fishing.

Good Shad fishing 500 yards down from Free Port bridge on Yolo side.

Steyrlp10
01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I've fished Pardee, but in the summer to escape the water lice :)

As for fishing being less expensive than shooting, my Better Half has gotten me beat by a long shot. I can buy 10,000 rounds of ammo and still not come close to what I paid for his Ranger (but of course, he's worth it!)

He's at Bass Pro right now. I told him to take a minute away from the bass tackle and look at whatever guns they have there and report back to me - lol

Plinkin
01-28-2011, 6:26 PM
This is a good way to save some money fishing. Even if you already have YOUR license its a great way to get the family and friends out and hooked on fishing. Just go to any public pier and catch perch, leopard shark, manta rays ect. Hope this helps.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfaqs.html
Q: Is a fishing license required while fishing from a public fishing pier in ocean waters?

A: No, but it must be a public fishing pier. A Sturgeon Fishing Report Card is required to take sturgeon from a public pier in ocean waters. A Spiny Lobster Report Card is required to take spiny lobster from a public pier in ocean waters.

(a) A sport fishing license is not required to take fish for any purpose other than profit by means of angling from a public pier in the ocean waters of the state. (b) For purposes of this section, ocean waters include, but are not limited to, the open waters adjacent to the ocean and any island; the waters of any open or enclosed bay contiguous to the ocean; the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays, with any tidal bay belonging thereto; and any slough or estuary, if found between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Benicia-Martinez Bridge (Fish and Game Code Section 7153).

A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Even though licenses and stamps are not required while fishing from a public pier, all other regulations apply (including minimum size, bag limits, seasons and report card requirements).

Drivedabizness
01-28-2011, 6:34 PM
In the old days, we use to put on waders and fished for shads below Nimbus Dam, before the area became a Aquatic Center. Don't know it fishing is still allowed there now though.

Others use to fish for shad at the minnow hole on the sacramento river off of Riverside near the pocket area, using shad darts.
586L-Frame

People shad fish and salmon fish (back when there was a season) right below the AC all the time

Sky_DiveR
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
...Others use to fish for shad at the minnow hole on the sacramento river off of Riverside near the pocket area, using shad darts.

Not anymore. Not since they rebuilt the water treatment plant.

jaime7818
01-29-2011, 8:38 AM
I spend 3x the $ money fishing than hunting/shooting! What am i doing wrong?

Steyrlp10
01-29-2011, 10:07 AM
I spend 3x the $ money fishing than hunting/shooting! What am i doing wrong?

Nothing... and now I don't feel so alone when towing the boat and getting hit by the toll machines for multiple axles!!

jeffrice6
02-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Since times are tough financially, I am going to Rancho Seco for some trout fishing

Dear god man not to eat....... It Is a nuclear reactor pod!!!! & besides that I tried it once in my youth..... Not worth the outcome

Sky_DiveR
02-05-2011, 3:37 PM
...Not worth the outcome

Why not? DFG plants trout there every year. They used to plant weekly but I don't know the schedule now. I know they plant just before the trout derby and the free fishing day (usually the same day). They also plant at Elk Grove, Arden, and William Land parks (among others).

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-05-2011, 7:08 PM
They also plant at Elk Grove, Arden, and William Land parks.

I don't think they do anymore sense money is tight.

srmc
02-05-2011, 7:32 PM
They also plant at Elk Grove, Arden, and William Land parks.

I don't think they do anymore sense money is tight.

They planted Land Park a few weeks ago. It drives me nuts that adults fish it out immediately. The fishing in the city program is for the kids who never otherwise have the opportunity to go fishing to get introduced to the sport. It shouldn't be about adults filling their 5 gallon buckets with fish and leaving nothing for the kids.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-06-2011, 7:27 PM
You are right about this.

It shouldn't be about adults filling their 5 gallon buckets with fish and leaving nothing for the kids.

I use to take my nephews and nieces to South side park 10 years ago.

Sky_DiveR
02-06-2011, 9:40 PM
Nope, it isn't. It's about people that take advantage of anything that is free and drain it til there's nothing left. That's why there is so few ducks and fish at those parks. Even the geese leave before it gets dark so they don't wake up in somebody's fridge. There used to be so much ducks and fish in and around those ponds.

bokguay
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I've been dying to get out. Last year from June through the first part of Sept i got allot of good stripers at Freeport. It's easy to get to, bait shops close and usually a nice spot to sit on the bank. 4 Saturday nights in a row caught my limit.

I too can't figure out how fishing costs me so much everytime I go. Must be the beer :)

I hope this isn't too far off topic, new to the site. Awaiting CCW appt ths summer. I keep getting mixed and confusing messages about carrying while fishing. I like to stay out very late at night. Anyone reading this know off hand if it's legal to carry there while fishing without a CCW?

chickenfried
03-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Poachers suck. But adults with fishing licenses have as much right to a legal limit of the planters as the kids, maybe more :p.They planted Land Park a few weeks ago. It drives me nuts that adults fish it out immediately. The fishing in the city program is for the kids who never otherwise have the opportunity to go fishing to get introduced to the sport. It shouldn't be about adults filling their 5 gallon buckets with fish and leaving nothing for the kids.

winxp_man
03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Anyone that thinks it will be easy to fish the American will not have much success unless the water flow slows down. All this water kinda ruined the steelhead run. The rivers a dirty to. Years ago it was fun fishing for shad on the American River. I used to fish from Howe bridge up to the Hazel bridge. This year with the increase of water I didn't even bother. I went shooting more. Especially since I reload for all my guns I'm good to go :D