PDA

View Full Version : Jared Loughner, Mexican cartels exploit US gun laws (NBC spin piece)

BoxesOfLiberty
01-25-2011, 6:56 PM
Michael Isikoff spinning for NBC:

...Jared Loughner is accused of taking advantage of those laws to acquire a Glock 19 semi-automatic pistol and at least two high-capacity magazines at an Arizona gun store despite a history of mental troubles and drug use. U.S. agents say Mexico's drug cartels have similarly exploited the laws...

You can read the steaming pile in its entirety here: U.S.: Gun raids show cartels at work in Arizona (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41257218/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts)

MadMax
01-25-2011, 6:57 PM
I read that it is complete and utter BS and some of the comments made me either laugh out loud or want to vomit.:mad:

yellowfin
01-26-2011, 4:12 AM
NBC's going to really have some adjusting to do in a couple of years when we undermine the anti gun culture in Manhattan.

RRangel
01-26-2011, 5:27 AM
I view this more as a hit piece. Written by those that believe that our terrible freedoms are the problem because they can be exploited. When bad guys are caught, as they should, it's only a sign that we need less freedoms.

vantec08
01-26-2011, 6:09 AM
I heard some BATF agent say 96% of cartel guns seized in mexico are directly traceable to the USA. Not ONE "journalist" challenged that select/auto fire weapons cannot be purcharsed OTC in the USA.

Stonewalker
01-26-2011, 8:16 AM
Well the best thing we can do is when newspapers and friends quote that 80-90% figure leave comments and point out how that information came from 1 joint report from the ATF and Mexican authorities and here is what that report said:
"90% of firearms seized in Mexico that were submitted to the ATF for tracing AND could be traced came from the US"

Here are the problems with that report:
-The Mexican military use mostly American-made guns - so when soldiers lose a battle guess where that gun goes
-The only gun store in Mexico sells mostly American-made guns. It's a police/military gun store.
-What does "came from the US" mean? Our government provides Mexico with a lot of their small arms, so all those stolen military guns *technically* came from the US.
-Over 150,000 soldiers have deserted in the past 6 years. That's a lot of select-fire guns gone missing...
-The ATF could only trace guns that Mexico submitted for tracing, which means Mexico could skew the results if they had some agenda or something.

Oh yea, the US is one of the few countries that make their guns traceable!

Anyways, it's easy to debunk that 80-90% figure. If only media outlets would stop spouting it.

richzmn
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, the full auto ak's came from Oliver North, mexican army and mexican police. They rest they probably get from south of their border?

I heard some BATF agent say 96% of cartel guns seized in mexico are directly traceable to the USA. Not ONE "journalist" challenged that select/auto fire weapons cannot be purcharsed OTC in the USA.