PDA

View Full Version : [B]Hunting with lead[/B]

Bigyates
01-25-2011, 6:52 PM
Are there any good pig hunting ranches or areas not in the lead free "vulture" zones?

Howie44
01-25-2011, 7:24 PM
Are there any good pig hunting ranches or areas not in the lead free "vulture" zones?

Sure, in SoCal, if you like shooting "farm" animals or a "canned" hunt. BHCR

http://www.bighorncanyonranch.com/index.html

Or try Nor cal. Here is the map of the lead free zone

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/Ridley-TreeCondorPreservationAct.pdf

Here's a list of pig guides in the state. Look for the ones not in the zone. (or just buy the lead free ammo, and hunt in the good areas) Those of you that hunt outside of montery and SLO counties, forgive me , I am biased

http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/calhog.html#guides

Bigyates
01-25-2011, 8:08 PM
(or just buy the lead free ammo, and hunt in the good areas)

I want to hunt using an antique weapon which is not capable of shooting anything except lead. Thanks for the information.

ScottB
01-25-2011, 8:33 PM
Hunt out of state and use whatever you want. I hear Texas has some smokin' deals on pig hunts.

707ace
01-25-2011, 9:09 PM
plane ticket cost more than hunt

mif_slim
01-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Depending. I spend more in CA then going to WI hunts and get less meat.

Ca I can spend a few thousand and get 1, 2 max deer and a bear. In WI, the same amount I can get a ticket, tags and stay and get 6+ deer, if I hunt zone specific I can get 12+ deer.
Thats well worth it to me.

Flux Capacitor
01-26-2011, 6:28 AM

Ca I can spend a few thousand and get 1, 2 max deer and a bear. In WI, the same amount I can get a ticket, tags and stay and get 6+ deer, if I hunt zone specific I can get 12+ deer.

+1. Go out of State. Mi and TX are also excellent. I spend about the same amount out of state than in CA; especially if you have relatives to stay at !

para38super
01-26-2011, 7:02 AM

Why do you spend so much to hunt in CA?

lewdogg21
01-26-2011, 9:35 AM
Check out the Dye Creek Preserve, It's run by MUMS (Multiple use managers). You can google it to find the website.

Dye Creek is near Red Bluff, CA

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2011, 9:54 AM
I want to hunt using an antique weapon which is not capable of shooting anything except lead. Thanks for the information.

What kind of gun? I am unaware of any firearm that is not capable of shooting some sort of lead free bullet. There are probably a few lead free options that you just don't know about. Last week at SHOT, I even found lead free roundballs in just about every caliber imaginable.

mif_slim
01-26-2011, 9:57 AM
Why do you spend so much to hunt in CA?

Because just one trip to our spot, is already 200 for gas. We may go once...twice... Ten times before we even fill our tag... 10x200= 2000. that's more then a plane ticket(500~), tags(200), stay(280) in WI.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2011, 9:57 AM
Anyone who wants to hunt MO this year hit me up. I will be heading there and the out of state licenses are cheap and you get 6 deer tags and 2 turkey tags included.

mif_slim
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Anyone who wants to hunt MO this year hit me up. I will be heading there and the out of state licenses are cheap and you get 6 deer tags and 2 turkey tags included.

Im going to NC and Imma need your hunting area. LOL.

Bigyates
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
What kind of gun? I am unaware of any firearm that is not capable of shooting some sort of lead free bullet. There are probably a few lead free options that you just don't know about. Last week at SHOT, I even found lead free roundballs in just about every caliber imaginable.

Its a rifled choke gun or paradox. Projectiles are to be no harder than 15-1 or pressures rise and bulging of the barrels just behind the chokes is possible. What material or alloy were the "lead free" balls cast from?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Im going to NC and Imma need your hunting area. LOL.

Fort Bragg was where I hunted in NC.

mif_slim
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Fort Bragg was where I hunted in NC.

Thanks, I just checked.. thats across the state from where I'll be.. grr! :D