PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 Mausers. I think?

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone into the old M98's?

I have 4 total. 1911, 1915 and a 1921( I can't see the date on the other action because of the scope mount). All of them are Carl Gustafs and have matching numbers. One was turned into a Varmit gun about 10 years or so ago and is still my favorite long range shooter.

My dad bought these 15-20 years ago and we even used to reload the berdan primed ammo that we used to buy from Traders( man that was fun). We could not afford to buy the Norma ammo at the time.

Can anyone help decipher the brass disk on the stock that speaks to the condition of the barrel? Also one of the barrels is threaded and the other two are not. Is this for a bayonet?

Thanks for the help!

gose
08-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Im pretty sure I can help you if the text is in Swedish ;)

stevie
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
answered on the other board

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Here are some pics that might help.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296/rbshadow/DSC01173.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296/rbshadow/DSC01167.jpg

On this particular gun it has been tapped for what appears to be a scope mount( on the rear of the reciever closest to the bolt handle ). Is there a way to tell if this was used as a sniper rifle?

stevie
08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Looks like there is some "over stamping" on the disk. currently looks to be 6.52 and a 3.

There is a sniper version called a 41B, but most likely someone drilled out yours for a scope. The sniper version should also have a bent bolt handle instead of a straight bolt.

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Preciate the info.

Man those guns where fun to shoot! Reminds me of the days at the Livermore range when my Dad and I used to weld up the metal "gongs" at 220yards. Those 6.5's would tap that 6 inch (3 in. wide) plate all day long with iron sights.

ocabj
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm using 37.5gr of Varget behind a 142gr Sierra MatckKing with Winchester LR primers and Lapua brass. Gets me just under 2600 fps out of an M96

Silverback
08-25-2006, 1:08 PM
Got a couple of theses myself. Take a look at the web page below and you'll find a little info.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedish/index.asp :D :D

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 1:32 PM
I am pretty sure that we used IMR 4350 and some Winchester 748( some duplex loads as well) but most of the reloading data is in storage. We primarily shot Sierra HPBT in 120 and 140. We did quite a bit of experimentation which resulted in bullets exploding at 25 yards and bullets hitting the target sideways at 100. We finally re barreld two of the rifles for further experiments. One in 6.5x284 and one in .243 (Douglas barrels).

We took both of those guns on a parie dog hunt in OK and had hits out to 400 yards.

Veritas_223
08-25-2006, 2:57 PM
Try the Gunboard forums for Swede rifles, lots of great data and some guys are experts on Swede mausers.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=40

Be warned, they don't like guys that Bubba their Swede rifles!

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 3:05 PM
Thanks Veritas 223. "Bubba" must mean hacked into a sporter version. I will leave that part out.

Pthfndr
08-25-2006, 5:56 PM
Yes, they are Swede Mausers.

Yes, they are chambered for the 6.5x55 Mauser round.

NO, they are NOT 98s. they are model 96. (just so someone on the Swede board doesn't jump on you about it)

Great rifles, Great cartridge. I have a few, including 2 M41b sniper rifles. One of those I regularly shoot in a Tactical Long range match out to 1000 yards. Do pretty good with it too :D

Gringo Bandito
08-25-2006, 6:23 PM
Yes, they are Swede Mausers.

Yes, they are chambered for the 6.5x55 Mauser round.

NO, they are NOT 98s. they are model 96. (just so someone on the Swede board doesn't jump on you about it)

Great rifles, Great cartridge. I have a few, including 2 M41b sniper rifles. One of those I regularly shoot in a Tactical Long range match out to 1000 yards. Do pretty good with it too :D

I appreciate the info Pthfndr.

DutchXpatriot
08-26-2006, 1:41 AM
For tidbits of Swedish Mauser knowledge you may peruse this website:
www.rebooty.com/~dutchman
House of Karlina - 1896 Swedish Mausers (also 1894 carbines).

The two diagonal drilled/tapped holes on the rear bridge were for diopter target sights. There's several/many different types, Pramm, Elit, Soderin, GF and many more. They're hard to find and can run $150-200 for used equiptment... but they are nice, very nice. They show up on ebay from sellers in Sweden, who are generally very friendly and reliable.

Dutchman -- soon to be back in the PRK
also moderator at gunboards.com Swedish military firearms forum

Gringo Bandito
08-26-2006, 11:24 AM
For tidbits of Swedish Mauser knowledge you may peruse this website:
www.rebooty.com/~dutchman
House of Karlina - 1896 Swedish Mausers (also 1894 carbines).

The two diagonal drilled/tapped holes on the rear bridge were for diopter target sights. There's several/many different types, Pramm, Elit, Soderin, GF and many more. They're hard to find and can run $150-200 for used equiptment... but they are nice, very nice. They show up on ebay from sellers in Sweden, who are generally very friendly and reliable.

Dutchman -- soon to be back in the PRK
also moderator at gunboards.com Swedish military firearms forum

Thanks Dutchman. Nice site!

I appreciate you solving the mystery of the two holes in the reciever. Was this a fairly common item to have for military use or was this commonly added by people that got ahold of these rifles after they had been retired?

Do you know why some of these were made with the threaded barrels and some not?

DutchXpatriot
08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
In Sweden there was/is a civilian shooting organization, FSR. The gov't loaned rifles to these shooting clubs just like our old DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship). The drilling & tapping of the rear bridge for target sights had to be approved by the gov't since the rifles were gov't property so there's a "techincal order" approving and with dimensioned drawing as to how the and where the holes were to be drilled and tapped. I'm not completely sure but I think the gov't did the drilling & tapping prior to giving the rifles over. Lots of the m/96 were drilled/tapped yet never had target sights installed.

The muzzle threading began in 1955 for the wood blank shredder attachment. Naturally, the many thousands of rifles in the shooting clubs never got this treatment.

Not all the Swedish Mausers came from gov't stores. Many thousands came from FSR organizations around Sweden. In the last 5-6 years there have been small groups of rifles coming out of Sweden imported by small importers. Due to legal changes in Sweden, sadly, civilian ownership of firearms has declined so many privately owned firearms have made their way to the U.S. via these small importers. Such rifles can often deviate from what we might expect "military issue" to be as many have been privately owned for many decades.

The Swedish law change has to do with ~storage~. You cannot openly display a firearm on the wall of your own home UNLESS that firearm has been _deactivated_. And lots have been deactivated. Many gun owners simply turned in to the police their guns and, at least, they end up bid upon by private gun dealers and sold off, many to these U.S. importers who travel over to Sweden.

In addition, in Sweden any firearm capable of accepting a cartridge, even a 12,7mm rimfire for a rolling block, is defined as modern. Antiques are only those percussion and flint locks. But Sweden also has pretty easy full auto ownership and firing for civilians.

Dutchman

chris
08-26-2006, 12:00 PM
i have a sweedish mauser that kimber did about 10 years ago. i love this round and the rifle. great for hunting deer in california.

gose
08-26-2006, 6:35 PM
But Sweden also has pretty easy full auto ownership and firing for civilians.

Not when I moved out of Sweden 8 months ago and I'm pretty sure the laws haven't changed :P

However, it's very easy to get a G3, since the 'Home defense' will issue you one if you want.

Sydwaiz
09-07-2006, 6:22 AM
No one has mentioned one of these yet? CG63. :D

http://www.rsktool.com/Markspics/CG63.jpg

phish
09-07-2006, 7:50 AM
^ nice! :cool:

here's mine...