PDA

View Full Version : History of FTF sales/gifts in CA?

ArmedBear
08-25-2006, 8:53 AM
Anyone know when FTF sales/gifts in CA started to require FFL transfers?

Father-Son?

Handgun registration?

Thanks.

chiefcrash
08-25-2006, 9:07 AM
i do know that you do not need to go to a FFL to give guns between father/son, grandfather/grandson, husband/wife. if the firearm is a handgun, the recipient needs to have a Handgun Safety Certificate

Handguns do need to be registered. There's a form on the DOJ website ("operation of law interfamiliar transfer" or something like that). Send that + $19 bucks, and you're good.

long guns do not require any forms, fees, certificates, or anything. you're just not supposed to give a gun to someone legally prohibited from owning one

ArmedBear
08-25-2006, 9:14 AM
i do know that you do not need to go to a FFL to give guns between father/son, grandfather/grandson, husband/wife. if the firearm is a handgun, the recipient needs to have a Handgun Safety Certificate

Handguns do need to be registered. There's a form on the DOJ website ("operation of law interfamiliar transfer" or something like that). Send that + $19 bucks, and you're good.

long guns do not require any forms, fees, certificates, or anything. you're just not supposed to give a gun to someone legally prohibited from owning one

Yeah, but HSC's are relatively new. What about registration? When did that law go into effect?

bwiese
08-25-2006, 9:21 AM
I believe paperless PPTs were legal until Jan 1 1991 (btwn state residents, as long as parties not ineligible, etc.). Minor exceptions after that for intrafamiliar situations etc., don't recall all those details.

If you had a gun whose mfgr date was on/after that (or even reasonably near it) and it was not papered, that'd likely flag an illegal transfer.

(IIRC, wasn't Jan 1 1991 also when the 15 day wait went down to 10 days, and rifles had a waiting period added?? And it was the end of the original Roberti-Roos AW registration period?)

Fond remembrance of the good ol' days of cash & carry rifles...