PDA

View Full Version : How to send ONE-CLICKs from web-based email

mikehaas
08-25-2006, 9:36 AM
Unfortunately, web-based email clients (like hotmail and yahoo mail) can't use "mailto:" links directly (that's what the ONE-CLICK links are in websspeak.) One has to manually copy & paste the email address of the link into your web-based email program...

1. Go to http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo

2. Locate the ONE-CLICK email link you want to send to. When you pass your mouse over it, you should see "mailto:(something)@muzzleenergy.com" appear in your browser's status line at the bottom of the window.

3. Right-click on the link.

4. In the popup that appears, select "Copy Shortcut"

5. Now go to your web-based email client. In the place where you would normally type in the email address, right-click.

6. In the popup menu that appeears, select "Paste". The email address should appear there as if you typed it. (NOTE: If is still starts with "mailto:", remove that part.)

ONE CAUTION: Do NOT save or distribute those email addresses - always go back to the ONE-CLICK page to get them. We change them often, without notice or warning, because spammers will soon get them.

Mike

50 Shooter
08-25-2006, 9:43 AM
I will say this, please don't just email them. Send a letter and make a call also, it's far to easy for some intern to hit delete on your email.

A letter or a phone call carries much more weight then an email.

mikehaas
08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I will say this, please don't just email them. Send a letter and make a call also, it's far to easy for some intern to hit delete on your email.

A letter or a phone call carries much more weight then an email.
Not necessarily - this is a common misconception. All forms of constituent input has advantages and disadvantages and email definitely gets a bad rap - it is MUCH more valuable than such simplistic comments would infer.

First, understand, Sacramento staffers are not permitted to simply delete constituent input, email or otherwise. They may do it, but they are not supposed to.

All forms of contact has ups & downs. And remember, we need MANY gun owners to contact Sacramento, regardless of the form of contact. Volume is the key, not whether you use email or fax or telegraph.

Email is free and easy to generate in volume. But thousands of emails can be automated (like spammers do) so leg. staffers can be wary. It can be filtered without effort and deleted in a click. This is why we don't create "auto-filled" ONE-CLICK messages for you to send - we want your personal thoughts, not pre-fab text, to go to Sacramento. Because of the inherent variability of your Subject lines and content, they know it's from real constituents - not a form letter. No, Sacramento does not ignore emails because they are emails. They should carry as much weight as any other form of constituent input.

Letters show that someone took the time to write it, put it in an envelope and send it. But it is expensive and takes time. Often, things happen so fast that letters don't have time to get there. Postcards are sometimes utilized by NRA, sent to you so you can foward on to lawmakers.

FAXES are faster and easier than letters, but also incur expense. Easiest to ignore, just don't check the FAX machine or turn it off.

Phone calls are good in that they are the most immediate and personal form of contact (other than sitting in a reps office!). Downside is the expense and intimidation factor - many citizens are not confident enough to speak one-on-one. A big advantage is that phone calls are the most demanding in terms of leg. staffers time - the longer you involve a leg. staffer on the phone, the less time he/she has to work anti-gun issues behind the scenes.

Use EVERY form of input you can, and never discourage a gun-owner from using any of them. Encourage others to use what they are comfortable with, not what YOU think is best. (You may be wrong.)

What's most important is that we DO IT (not how we do it).

Mike

mikehaas
08-25-2006, 10:27 AM
BTW, Our own H. Paul Payne addressed these issues years ago. I wish I had remembered this sooner - would have saved some typing!

Mike
-------------------
From http://calnra.com/tip-email.shtml

IS ELECTRONIC MAIL A USEFUL LOBBYING TOOL, OR JUST A WASTE OF TIME?
Examining the myth about using email to an effective grassroots lobbying tool

By H. Paul Payne,

While traveling from meeting to meeting, spreading the NRA message that we all must join together in support of our Second Amendment freedoms, I have been frequently asked which medium has the best effect on persuading legislators to vote in support of the Second Amendment. My answer has been simple and consistent: “Whichever one that you will use!”

Experience has shown me that all methods (phone calls, faxes, email, personal visits, hand-written letters, etc.) are effective as long as we take the time to make contact. If we fail to let our representatives know our views, then we are doomed to failure. So, when prompted by an NRA alert, use whatever method you have available so that your voice will be heard in our fight for freedom.

But for years I have heard that sending email to legislators is a complete waste of time. I could not disagree more! This myth has been spread by many sources and has seemed to achieve varying degrees of believability among our members. I hope to dispel this myth right now.

As you can probably tell, I strongly support the use of email as a lobbying tool. That is because it works! It doesn’t make sense to waste time and effort on something that doesn’t work! But ask yourself, “Why would someone tell you that using email doesn’t work?” Maybe they have a reason.

Some of the advantages of electronic mail are that it is:
- Free, easy, and fast
- Leaves a record that is verifiable
- Allows almost anyone at any distance to contact their legislators
- It is a commonly acceptable form of communication in today’s modern world

Some of the dis-advantages (as viewed by others) of electronic mail are that:
- Legislative staff must deal with people that would not otherwise be able to contact them
- Political consultants and mail houses do not make money in the same way that they would if “direct mail” campaigns and lobbying were done
- Groups with email systems and technology inferior to that of the NRA might feel that NRA has an advantage in the defense of our freedoms

While it is true the NRA in California has developed some of the most effective email technologies, we are continuing to benefit from new and more effective strategic uses of this technology. Our “focused effort method” has proven to be an extremely effective tactic when used by our dedicated membership.

Some tips to make your email efforts more effective by multiplying your efforts:

- Send your email to all legislators that are suggested in the NRA alert

- If they complain that they are not your legislator, inform them that you will continue to contact them as long as they continue to vote on Second Amendment issues that affect you

- When prompted by an NRA alert, use the NRA Members’ Council “One Click” email system

- After writing your email (but before sending it), print it out and sign it, then send your email.

- If you have a fax machine, fax a signed copy

- In either case, mail the printed and signed copies to the targeted legislators

In conclusion, don’t hesitate to make phone calls, send faxes, write letters, and visit your representatives about pending Second Amendment legislation. But if you subscribe to the NRA’s alerts and contact the legislators when prompted, your emails will continue to have a tremendous affect in the legislature and the NRA will be successful in the defense of our Second Amendment freedoms. The most current NRA legislative efforts in California can be found at: http://calnra.com/legs.shtml .

© 1999/2006 H. Paul Payne, All Rights Reserved.

Skawrpion
08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
I would like to become more active in sending comments and correspondence to Assemblies and the senate. My problem is I do not know what to say, is there a template somewhere that could be used for different topics?

Is it just as simple as sending an Email that states:

My name is so and so and I oppose issue XX XXX.

Or do they expect a more formal type of correspondence explaining why i opposed and for what reasons?

Also where can I get schooled on how to read the Calnra.com legislative information page? When I see position (support, oppose) is this NRA and calnra's position?

Please help out a noob and forgive for being dumb :) , I will accept PMs if that is a better place to discuss this.

Thank you.

chris
08-25-2006, 12:27 PM
thanks mike i was wondering about the use of web based e-mail. now i know. but i will be home and i would like to send a letter and of course tie up their phones lines opposing silly bills that we are seeing now.

mikehaas
08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I would like to become more active in sending comments and correspondence to Assemblies and the senate. My problem is I do not know what to say... Is it just as simple as sending an Email that states:

GOOD QUESTION! Yes, that's really all you need to do. Don't waste time or energy on superfulous stuff - rather use it to send another email/letter/fax/call with your opposition or support clearly stated.

Remember, they are not looking for a dissertation on legal issues. You aren't going to teach them anything. (Most don't actually have that much respect for us, IMO) They simply want to guage the support/opposition in their district. (And for most, it's probably only to insure re-election.) But whatever the reasons, we need to let them know.

Also where can I get schooled on how to read the Calnra.com legislative information page? When I see position (support, oppose) is this NRA and calnra's position?
Yes, but there is only NRA's position. "CalNRA" is part of NRA so there is only one position. The one displayed is the official NRA position as directed by ILA, most notably our state lobbyist Ed Worley.

Understanding it? Don't worry too much if some seems like a foreign language. The important points:

- Adopt NRA's position as your own.
- If there are "Action Needed" items, do them.
- Tell others.

...these are the core "things" that need done and ON A CONSTANT BASIS. Not just for OLLs but for AMMO MAIL-ORDER BANS and MICROSTAMPING and all the other issues NRA raises. Even if you think a certain bill doesn't make sense, PLEASE DON'T SECOND GUESS NRA - trust them to do what we pay them for. They are on the inside and know much more than we do and our BIG GORILLA. We need that big, hairy animal to growl loudly when necessary. (No, Ed isn't big and hairy. :-)

By all means, if you have more questions, post them here or ask at:
http://calnra.com/msg/

I'll personally attest that every effort is made to produce understandable talking points and analysis; I try to add web tools to help sort it out and assist you in supporting NRA (but I don't set policy, just give my opinion when asked).

Please help out a noob and forgive for being dumb :) , I will accept PMs if that is a better place to discuss this. Thank you.
Don't see much "dumb" on calguns - I see frustrated gun-owners looking for leadership and help in protecting our rights. i hope you believe you're getting it.

BTW, there are local "training" resources you can use to learn a LOT more about this stuff. They're called the "NRA Members' Councils" and you can identify your local "MC" as well as their monthly meeting time and place here:
http://calnra.com/volunteer/

PLEASE JOIN AND ATTEND THOSE MEETINGS! It's the Members' Councils that really complete the circle of:

NRA Members (via MCs) --> NRA Staff ---> government
NRA Members (via MCs) <-- NRA Staff <--- government

Yes, it's vitally important EVERYONE join NRA, but this is a way to do more. And we NRA memebrs all need to do a little more. (me too)

Mike
Benefactor Member of NRA

Skawrpion
08-25-2006, 1:39 PM
WOW! thanks for the really big reply :D I have just joinned the NRA at the start of this week for a 3 year membership (all I could affort for now) and want to be more active in the legal battles, I will check up on my local MC in Orange County and will now start to use the 1 click feature.

Thank You Mike.

Pthfndr
08-25-2006, 7:09 PM
Great information Mike.

Ramon / Mods, this info should be in a sticky for this forum, for reference.

chris
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
can somone make this a sticky thread?

chickenfried
08-30-2006, 9:58 AM
I may be mistaken. But the point doesn't seem to be that email is as effective as snail mailed letters or phone calls. Rather that sending an email is a butt load more effective than doing nothing at all. Which reminds me of something.

A while back I was doing a web search for some racing results after the .50 ban. I found a copy of my buddies snail mailed letter to the public safety committee on the the fifity caliber institute's(might've been some other .50 cal advocacy) web site, in a file containg the letters written to the safety committee. But my emails weren't a part of this file.

Why are the snail mail letters part of the public record but not emails? Wouldn't being able to find a record of the snail mailed letter but not the email indicate one carried greater weight? Shouldn't emails be easeier to keep a record of than written letters?

Just trying to learn.

Creeping Incrementalism
08-30-2006, 6:08 PM
Is it just as simple as sending an Email that states:

Or do they expect a more formal type of correspondence explaining why i opposed and for what reasons?

The format I use is:

---------------------------------
[Assemblyman/woman/member, or Senator] [Last Name]:

Please [support/oppose] [bill number].

[1-3 sentances explaining why, I generally try to keep this short].

Sincerely,
[First Name] [Last Name]

Anyway, that's what I do.

chickenfried
08-30-2006, 6:15 PM
I think you're supposed to put your address in the letter. I usually put it after my name.

The format I use is:

[Assemblyman/woman/member, or Senator] [Last Name]:

Please [support/oppose] [bill number].

[1-3 sentances explaining why, I generally try to keep this short].

Sincerely,
[First Name] [Last Name]

Anyway, that's what I do.

Creeping Incrementalism
08-30-2006, 9:18 PM
I don't use 1-click, I use the legislature's contact your assemblyperson/senator email form, so I fill the address in there.

But in another thread, Mike said they are too busy to check email, and instead to call.