PDA

View Full Version : Is this A2 sight legal ?

Oguzkaya
08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Hello Everyone,
After long discussions I decided go with stag-15 A1 with 10 round fixed magazines since they are still legal in CA. Only one thing that I want to make sure that the A2 front sight ( not sure it is a flash hider/suppressor ) is okay on the picture that I am showing. This rifle is from coldwarshooter.net and their standard rifle.

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=10

Thanks in advance

bu-bye
08-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Well all sights are legal (as hard as that is to believe here is Cali). Flash hiders are also ok as long as the mag is pinned.

Oguzkaya
08-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the clarification. What do you think about the Stags? Do you have a suggestions ?

Thanks

anotherone
08-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification. What do you think about the Stags? Do you have a suggestions ?

Thanks

Probably about 60% - 85% of all AR-15s that came into California after 2000 are all rifles built on Stag Arms lower recievers. Various folks on this board have said that in under 1 month back in 2005 California exhausted Stag Arms's entire inventory :eek:! Almost all of my off-list recievers are Stag Arms lowers. To my knowledge the Stag Arms lowers are manufactured by CMT (which has military contracts) and Stag Arms is CMT's house brand.

California sales put Stag Arms on the map... notice their huge two page ad in this month's issue of Guns & Ammo. Stag builds excellent lower recievers and I've heard really good things about their uppers as well. Their uppers with the ARMS#40 are a fantastic value... the ARMS#40 is nearly $100 by itself so considering you're getting the ARMS and the upper for under $500 that's an incredible deal and I have heard great things about their reliability and accuracy.

Personally I like Armalite, Colt, and Bushmaster uppers (fine call me an upper snob), but it's all a matter of personal prefference. As long as you stay clear of Vulcan Armaments you'll get a nice, accurate milspec rifle. Enjoy :)!

wuhungsix
08-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Wouldn't that be something. Evil A2 sight that allows to to aquire your innocent targets faster. JK.

I bought that same exact rifle from Coldwarshooters. Go for it.

Oguzkaya
08-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Hello All
Thanks you very much for the detailed and educational information. I am kind of new with AR-15 rifles and I want to make sure that I am making the right decesion while staying legal

Thanks again.

Kaya

Nefarious
08-25-2006, 4:43 AM
Hello All
Thanks you very much for the detailed and educational information. I am kind of new with AR-15 rifles and I want to make sure that I am making the right decesion while staying legal

Thanks again.

Kaya

I have that exact AR from Coldwarshooters - for lack of a better word, its great. I would strongly suggest throwing in a 2 stage trigger in there. I did and never looked back

MilSpec.45
08-25-2006, 9:27 AM
I just bought a stag lower and I plan on using the stag 2h upper. This will be my first OLL build. What are the advantages of a two stage trigger?

speshu_ed
08-25-2006, 9:53 AM
*Erroneous Info - Disregard*

FWIW, the only *possible* way the pictured front sight would be illegal is if the lower was configured with a removable magazine. the front sight will have to have the bayonet lug milled off.

In your case, since the lower will have a pinned mag, you'll be alright.

Edited to add: Checked out SB23, and sure enough, no mention of bayonet lug - thanks rorschach

rorschach
08-25-2006, 9:57 AM
That looks like a 2H, I just picked one up this past weekend from CWS at the Costa Mesa show. I havent fired it yet, but it looks exactly like the pic, save for the 10 round shorty mag. I used a Stag lower, and it is VERY tight. I need a punch and mallet to knock the takedown pin out, but I'm sure it will be ok once it breaks in. All the other parts are Stag, except for the Prince50 lock and Bushie clinton mag.

rorschach
08-25-2006, 9:59 AM
FWIW, the only *possible* way the pictured front sight would be illegal is if the lower was configured with a removable magazine. the front sight will have to have the bayonet lug milled off.

In your case, since the lower will have a pinned mag, you'll be alright.

WRONG!! Bayonet lugs are not addressed by Kalifornia law. Bayonet lugs were banned by the 94 fed law, which has now sunseted.

Kalifornia doesnt care if you have a bayo lug with detachable mag.

MilSpec.45
08-25-2006, 1:10 PM
That looks like a 2H, I just picked one up this past weekend from CWS at the Costa Mesa show. I havent fired it yet, but it looks exactly like the pic, save for the 10 round shorty mag. I used a Stag lower, and it is VERY tight. I need a punch and mallet to knock the takedown pin out, but I'm sure it will be ok once it breaks in. All the other parts are Stag, except for the Prince50 lock and Bushie clinton mag.

Is this typical for a stag lower and upper? What can be done if it is too tight? Do most people here have to use tools to take the take down pin out or not?

C.G.
08-25-2006, 1:52 PM
Is this typical for a stag lower and upper? What can be done if it is too tight? Do most people here have to use tools to take the take down pin out or not?

Some lowers or uppers are slightly out of spec, in extreme cases one has to do a little filing, but usually it just breaks in after a while.

Noonanda
08-25-2006, 6:45 PM
The stag lower I just got is the same way, it is tight but I am sure it will loosen up after use. Question for you all, Im in oklahoma now but what is required to pin the mag on the rifle, so if I dont want to pay the 75 dolars to register it as an AW (military excemption baby:D ) I could just have it pinned till I leave again. And can you do the same for an AK and if so has anyone done it?? Ive got my AK, Cetme and AR that ar all coming with me to cali, Want to save money for ammo

C.G.
08-25-2006, 7:11 PM
The stag lower I just got is the same way, it is tight but I am sure it will loosen up after use. Question for you all, Im in oklahoma now but what is required to pin the mag on the rifle, so if I dont want to pay the 75 dolars to register it as an AW (military excemption baby:D ) I could just have it pinned till I leave again. And can you do the same for an AK and if so has anyone done it?? Ive got my AK, Cetme and AR that ar all coming with me to cali, Want to save money for ammo

If I were you I would register it as an AW, since you can. At this point there is nothing definite with CA DOJ regarding pinning the mag.

|-007-|
08-27-2006, 3:25 PM
Hello Everyone,
After long discussions I decided go with stag-15 A1 with 10 round fixed magazines since they are still legal in CA. Only one thing that I want to make sure that the A2 front sight ( not sure it is a flash hider/suppressor ) is okay on the picture that I am showing. This rifle is from coldwarshooter.net and their standard rifle.

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=10

Thanks in advance

I've been lurking calguns.net for awhile now, trying to sort out this complicated issue.

I've always hoped to own and shoot an AR-15, and now is an excellent time for me; I have the money and the time (I attend CalPoly, and the shooting range is a mere 7 miles from where I live during the school year). However, I don't intend to purchase an illegal firearm, nor do I want to purchase one of those weaksauce scissor-type AR-15's.

After researching, I decided to look at Stag products. My plan was to buy the Stag Model 1 and install the sportingconversions mag lock kit using a Bushmaster 10-round magazine. Today, I was researching on AR15.com when I ran into one of Bill Wiese's posts:

"Bill..

Welcome.

I don't keep track of which dealer where sells what. However check http://www.coldwarshooters.com and he will know of an FFL near you that can do a transfer of an appropriate, legal, off-list receiver.

Before you get started, please read the FAQ and the AR/AK memo on Calguns.net under the 'Resources' menu tab. Understand all the details.

You can buy any brand of lower that is not markec Colt AR-15 (exactly) nor that is listed in Calif Code of Regulations CCR 979.11 (the 'Kasler' list). [This section has been renumbered.] To be banned, a lower must be specified by exact make AND model.

Your dealer will be able to point you to one of many different brands that are not listed by make and model. Stag, Rock River, Lauer, Fulton, DSA, and many others are available. All forged milspec lowers will produce an accurate, reliable rifle - it's the upper that does the real work. Even Colt has an unbanned lower if you can find it: the "HBar Elite" or "Match Elite" (can't remember which).

You can run your rifle in one of two legal configurations:
- a fixed 10rd magazine, and pistol grip and other 'evil features'. The weapon is reloaded by scissoring it open.
- a legal gripless configuration with no pistol grip, flash hider or telestock etc. allows a detachable mag to be used. A MonsterMan grip can be used since it is not described in CA regulatory law as a pistol grip.

Calguns.Net is the best discussion forum for California gun laws and gun configurations and special parts needed to make them legal.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA"

I read the FAQ a few times, but according to this response, Bill seems to indicate that if I intend to have the pistol grip and evil features, then I have to have a fixed 10rd magazine and the rifle must scissor open to reload.

So, here's my issues:

1. I thought I could just lock the 10rd magazine on using the sportingconversions kit and reload through the ejection port (according to an AR-15 owner I know personally). Is this feasible and legal? Or is the scissor-type now required?

2. I can't build an AR-15. I'd rather buy the Stag Model 1 completely assembled and apply the mag lock kit using a 10rd magazine. Can I do that legally? If so, how? Internet or maybe private party transfer if I know someone out of state?

I appreciate any help you can offer,
Brendan

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 3:31 PM
I've been lurking calguns.net for awhile now, trying to sort out this complicated issue.

I've always hoped to own and shoot an AR-15, and now is an excellent time for me; I have the money and the time (I attend CalPoly, and the shooting range is a mere 7 miles from where I live during the school year). However, I don't intend to purchase an illegal firearm, nor do I want to purchase one of those weaksauce scissor-type AR-15's.

After researching, I decided to look at Stag products. My plan was to buy the Stag Model 1 and install the sportingconversions mag lock kit using a Bushmaster 10-round magazine. Today, I was researching on AR15.com when I ran into one of Bill Wiese's posts:

"Bill..

Welcome.

I don't keep track of which dealer where sells what. However check http://www.coldwarshooters.com and he will know of an FFL near you that can do a transfer of an appropriate, legal, off-list receiver.

Before you get started, please read the FAQ and the AR/AK memo on Calguns.net under the 'Resources' menu tab. Understand all the details.

You can buy any brand of lower that is not markec Colt AR-15 (exactly) nor that is listed in Calif Code of Regulations CCR 979.11 (the 'Kasler' list). [This section has been renumbered.] To be banned, a lower must be specified by exact make AND model.

Your dealer will be able to point you to one of many different brands that are not listed by make and model. Stag, Rock River, Lauer, Fulton, DSA, and many others are available. All forged milspec lowers will produce an accurate, reliable rifle - it's the upper that does the real work. Even Colt has an unbanned lower if you can find it: the "HBar Elite" or "Match Elite" (can't remember which).

You can run your rifle in one of two legal configurations:
- a fixed 10rd magazine, and pistol grip and other 'evil features'. The weapon is reloaded by scissoring it open.
- a legal gripless configuration with no pistol grip, flash hider or telestock etc. allows a detachable mag to be used. A MonsterMan grip can be used since it is not described in CA regulatory law as a pistol grip.

Calguns.Net is the best discussion forum for California gun laws and gun configurations and special parts needed to make them legal.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA"

I read the FAQ a few times, but according to this response, Bill seems to indicate that if I intend to have the pistol grip and evil features, then I have to have a fixed 10rd magazine and the rifle must scissor open to reload.

So, here's my issues:

1. I thought I could just lock the 10rd magazine on using the sportingconversions kit and reload through the ejection port (according to an AR-15 owner I know personally). Is this feasible and legal? Or is the scissor-type now required?

2. I can't build an AR-15. I'd rather buy the Stag Model 1 completely assembled and apply the mag lock kit using a 10rd magazine. Can I do that legally? If so, how? Internet or maybe private party transfer if I know someone out of state?

I appreciate any help you can offer,
Brendan
There is nothing wrong with loading through the ejection port, it is just more difficult, time consuming, and you can get your fingers burned or pinched by accidently releasing the bolt (I have :rolleyes: .) Those are too many negative things for me, brekaing it open to load really isn't that bad.

You also didn't mention it in your post but there is another option where you can use detachable magazines. If you run no evil features (no pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock, etc.) you can use detachable magazines. A lot of the folks here are using a product called the Monsterman grip or the SRB. Do some searching and reading and you will find more info.

Coldwarshooters will sell you a complete rifle with a fixed magazine already installed, talk to them.

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 3:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with loading through the ejection port, it is just more difficult, time consuming, and you can get your fingers burned or pinched by accidently releasing the bolt (I have :rolleyes: .) Those are too many negative things for me, brekaing it open to load really isn't that bad.

Lol, I hadn't thought of that... all it takes is for you to pull back on the bolt just enough to pull it off the hold-open and it's going to slam shut.

I haven't built an AR (not enough money), but I can imagine myself doing it. IMO, a detachable mag is worth more than the evil features.

|-007-|
08-27-2006, 4:03 PM

You also didn't mention it in your post but there is another option where you can use detachable magazines. If you run no evil features (no pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock, etc.) you can use detachable magazines. A lot of the folks here are using a product called the Monsterman grip or the SRB. Do some searching and reading and you will find more info.

Coldwarshooters will sell you a complete rifle with a fixed magazine already installed, talk to them.

Hmm, good points. The Monsterman grip is pretty nice, and it's only $50 with the 10 round clip at tenpercent. I'll probably purchase an entire rifle, experience the loading process myself, and then get the monsterman grip later (I presume I can add it on fairly easily) if I decide to. I'll just make sure I don't permanently modify the magazine release.

Thanks for your advice!
Brendan