PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a handgun to CA

Guidera
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Can an individual ship a handgun to CA or must it ship from a FFL? For example: say a CA resident buys a handgun that is on the CA list from an out of state resident on GB, does the seller have to get a FFL to send it out?

Lone_Gunman
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
The wiki holds the answers to your questions.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ

Decoligny
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Depends if the receiving FFL in CA will accept a handgun shipped from an individual. If the receiving FFL is OK with it, and the senders state does not have a law against an individual sending it, then there should be no problems.

bwiese
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Can an individual ship a handgun to CA or must it ship from a FFL? For example: say a CA resident buys a handgun that is on the CA list from an out of state resident on GB, does the seller have to get a FFL to send it out?

An individual in another state can send a firearm to a CA FFL, if his state does not prohibit it. Furthermore,

some CA FFLs may make a business choice to receive only from FFLs;
some CA FFLs may want photocopy of seller/shipper ID/DL;
the individual DOESN'T need to do CFLC stuff (unlike FFL shippers)
the gun can't be illegal (AW, SBR, SBS, etc.);
non-Rostered handguns can't be delivered to regular folks except via intrafamily or inheritance/bequest exemption;

Flintlock Tom
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I recently sold a handgun on GunBroker and stated that shipping would be $25. After it sold I found out that the best price for overnight shipping through a common carrier was about $75. I took it to my local, favorite FFL (Hi, Don) and he shipped it for me: $50 shipping and $15 handling fee.
I ate the difference.
So, maybe the easiest and cheapest way is to just go through your local FFL.

Guidera
01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
So the law regarding this issue is the same for rifles as for handguns?

Librarian
01-25-2011, 1:10 PM
So the law regarding this issue is the same for rifles as for handguns?

Rifles have 'assault weapon' issues while handguns have Roster AND 'assault weapon' issues, but yes, shipping is the same.