PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Senate Proposes 10 Round Mag Transfer Restriction

Patrick-2
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
The bill (http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/bills/sb/sb0162f.pdf) just dropped today, but we were expecting it.

Maryland currently has this law in 20-round form.

BUT...

It only affects manufacture, transfer, receipt, etc. Not possession. So what that means is that we can have all the 30, 50 and 100 round mags we want but we need to get them ourselves out of state. They cannot be mailed in; we need to pick them up and drive them over the border ourselves. Your friend cannot do it for you.

Given the fact nobody in MD is more than an hour from "somewhere else" with nicer gun laws, this generally means we drive to PA, VA or WV to get our mags at out of state gun shows or shops. I have a pile of 30-rounders still in plastic.

But our real concern is the amendments that might get tacked onto this bill in the process of going from concept to reality (it could pass this year). Those could be nasty.

No doubt this bill will be copied in the few states left with anti-gun legislators.

bwiese
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I believe some of the efforts we are doing to legally reintroduce new hicaps into CA via a special flow will be applicable to other states as well.

pointedstick
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I believe some of the efforts we are doing to legally reintroduce new hicaps into CA via a special flow will be applicable to other states as well.

:eek: :eek:

Do tell, if you can!

bwiese
01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
:eek: :eek:

Do tell, if you can!

For obvious reasons, we can't. Pathfinder work (legally, etc.) is being done now.

You'll know when you know.

putput
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg)

SwissFluCase
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
For obvious reasons, we can't. Pathfinder work (legally, etc.) is being done now.

Is it going to look like an ice cream truck? :D

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Patrick-2
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I hope it ain't through Maryland...

rromeo
01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Please contact your Rep and have him/her support HB9, so I can carry in Maryland.

PsychGuy274
01-25-2011, 12:28 PM

I love it when you talk dirty like that :43:

crackerman
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Ahem

TWO WEEKS!!!;)

ddestruel
01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
It will be interesting when these bans are finally challenged in court. what is to stop states from over time continuing to lower the acceptible capacity of firearms. today in some states they claim its the 30 round clip that is too much, in MD its the 20 round is too much now they want to limit a gun to 10 rounds what is to stop them from arbitrarily lowering the mark to 4, 5 or 6 rounds? Rendering a semi automatic pistol equal to a revolver and in their eyes that may not even be reasonable but arguably putting all citizen owned arms on a level paying field.

I am interested to see how the legal battles, the barriers will evolve or be drawn up to prevent the continued assault and erosion of the original design and intent of a firearm. if it ever degraded down to the point of limiting a 1911 or ar15 to single shot service, they can claim that as a "common sense" restriction it leaves a firearm functional but well below what it's designed intent was.

Defining and protecting capacity is nearly as important as getting ammunition brought under the esential to a functional firearm protection umbrella. the sooner the better, but understanding that it all takes time to un-ravel 80+ years of evolution (if you can call it that)

DarthSean
01-25-2011, 3:41 PM
WTF is an "assult pistol"?:confused:

timdps
01-25-2011, 4:00 PM
In CA, a pistol with assault weapon characteristics. I would assume similar in MD.

...or perhaps a Draco AK pistol with a 75 round drum. :D

Tim

chris
01-25-2011, 5:00 PM

looking forward to the day it happens.:D

ddestruel
01-26-2011, 6:46 AM

is it anything like an assualt car???? (maybe its an SUV with a mind of its own)

Kharn
01-26-2011, 8:06 AM

MD has its own list of "assault pistols", things like the Skorpion, SP89, Mac semiautos, Uzi semiauto pistols (but rifles, SBRs and MGs are ok ;) ), etc cannot be posessed within the state unless you registered it before 1996.

Gunsmithing
01-26-2011, 8:43 AM
At this rate in 20 or 30 years we will be talking about on this site on make powder and copper bullets for owner flintlock's. Because of one or two nuts and hand full of criminals. Twenty years ago no one would put up with pat down at the airport now we are thinking will they do fulln body cavity searches. Now is any willing to put our rights on the ballet or just let the politicians take ever one’s rights away one piece at time.

This is a sad day that politicians in all states are willing to take our rights away over one nut. I do not hear of any politicians talking about restriction on car or trucks that mit kill.

QQQ
01-26-2011, 8:53 AM
MD has its own list of "assault pistols", things like the Skorpion, SP89, Mac semiautos, Uzi semiauto pistols (but rifles, SBRs and MGs are ok ;) ), etc cannot be posessed within the state unless you registered it before 1996.

Is there no single-shot exemption?

Patrick-2
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
In CA, a pistol with assault weapon characteristics. I would assume similar in MD.

...or perhaps a Draco AK pistol with a 75 round drum. :D

Tim

The list originally came from CA. It has not been updated much. Mostly relics today., I think.

I picked up a Draco last night. Had it converted to an SBR with folding tube stock. Right now it has a spot-welded extension to make it a non-SBR. Just waiting for the ATF to finish their part before taking it off.

But it came with a 20 round magazine. If I want more, I will need to drive out of state and schlep them back myself. I work in VA about three times a week. But still; it is annoying.

It will be interesting when these bans are finally challenged in court. what is to stop states from over time continuing to lower the acceptible capacity of firearms.

Now is not the time. There are a few prerequisite questions we need answered, first.

It's not only the question that counts. It is also when, where and how we ask it.

Kharn
01-26-2011, 3:02 PM
Is there no single-shot exemption?It could go either way given the MSP's wide interpretation of 'copies' on 'regulated weapons' (aka black rifles), here's a summary:
It is unlawful to possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, or receive a so-called "assault pistol." Current owners may possess such a pistol if it was registered with the state police before August 1, 1994. A registered pistol may be inherited. The following semiautomatic pistols or their copies are "assault pistols":

AA Arms AP-9; Bushmaster; Claridge HI-Tec; D-Max Industries; Encom Mk-IV, MP-9, and MP-45; H & K SP-89 Holmes MP83; Ingram MAC 10/11 and any variations, including Partisan Avenger and SWD Cobray; Intratec TEC-9 and DC-9 (centerfire only); P.A.W.S.; Skorpion; Spectre; Uzi; Weaver Arms "Nighthawk"; Wilkinson Arms "Linda".

hoffmang
01-27-2011, 8:29 PM
Just to echo Bill, we have something that can inoculate from this style of restriction and it's not 2A based...

:twoweeks:

-Gene