PDA

View Full Version : Installing my safe...

n6vmo
01-25-2011, 10:24 AM
In an effort to make it more difficult for a person(s) to gain entry to my safe, I incorporated it into a storage system.

It is anchored to the floor...
http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Safe/DSC_0098.jpg

...and boxed in by shelving. The shelves are anchored to the walls and will be full by this weekend.
http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Safe/DSC_0102.jpg

Zorrm
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Looks to be pretty solid placement that you have going on... I really don't see it going anywhere :cool2:

GP3
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Someone could get leverage on the hinge side of the door, but those are likely deadbolts and I'm being picky/critical. You have the active bolts covered by the CMU wall.

Looks great!

Saym14
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
now hang a false door over it and no one will know its there....at first glance.

Kodemonkey
01-25-2011, 1:16 PM
now hang a false door over it and no one will know its there....at first glance.

I was thinking how cool it would be to put a safe inside an old fridge in the garage.

Saym14
01-26-2011, 7:41 AM
I was thinking how cool it would be to put a safe inside an old fridge in the garage.

unless the robber went for a beer !!!

IEShooter
01-26-2011, 8:54 AM
Very well done. Anchoring it down is the key, which you've taken care of nicely.

Many years ago I read an article by a guy whose home had been robbed multiple times. Each time, they stole his guns, and even ripped up his safe which was bolted down.

One day his water heater crapped out, and as he was replacing it, he got a clever idea. He cut in a "door" through the shell and foam and into the tank, then installed a hinge and catch to hold the "door" closed. Long guns and pistols could easily be placed inside.

Then, he spun it around so the door couldn't be seen and propped it at an odd angle against his basement wall. For all the world it looked like a crappy old water heater that the home owner was too lazy to drag up the basement steps.

Despite being robbed again after that, he never lost another gun. ;)