PDA

View Full Version : AK/AR hybrid 7.62x39 AR47 rifle in action!

SFV_Dealer
08-24-2006, 7:25 PM
It's finally here ! The video that everyone had doubts about - the AR47 rifle that shoots 7.62x39mm short AK rounds from an AR!

This is the hybrid AR lower that is similar to the MGI like mag well for AK mags. This rifle has a Vulcan V62 hybrid lower plus A2 stock, parts kit and a DPMS upper in 7.62x39.

For those other 7.62x39mm AR rifles such as the Olympic and DPMS which uses proprietary magazines, and prone to jamming, this lower uses the standard AK mags and does not jam! Take a look at the video and see for yourself.

The rifle can be configured as a gripless neutered detachable magazine rifle as you see in this video. Or the fixed magazine 10rd w/ pistol grip and the SB23 features can be made. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZLA0BtK-Jo
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZLA0BtK-Jo">AR47 rifle in 7.62x39 - CA compliant</a>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZLA0BtK-Jo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZLA0BtK-Jo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

EBWhite
08-24-2006, 7:38 PM
Very cool looking gun....I just hate Vulcan!
What does the upper run in price and what kind of lower parts kit do you use?

How about just building a real AK? :-)

Jon
08-24-2006, 7:49 PM
Here's DPMS' website info:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp?catID=1354

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I've never seen an AR kick someone around that much, but then again that's not exactly 5.56mm. :) Probably a light rifle.

I'd be curious to see what happens if you add a buttstock weight to the equation - theoretically, it should become a little more manageable.

anotherone
08-24-2006, 10:38 PM
What kinda accuracy are we talking about though... are we talking AK-47 accuracy or AR-15 accuracy? I would welcome an accurate 7.62 x 39mm rifle.

EBWhite
08-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes, the advantage to this weapon might be the better accuracy than a standard AK. However, we all know that an AK was only designed for battle within 200m or so.

The only part i don't like about the setup is possible non standard hard to find replacement parts in the future. Using AK mags is a HUGE HUGE plus though.

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Other than the receiver, what non standard parts are used? I'd imagine that a standard AK mag latch, pin, and spring, which you can buy from Numrich (ask me how I know... some kits are demilled by trained monkeys) would probably be used... other than that it should be a standard AR LPK.

SFV_Dealer
08-25-2006, 5:09 AM
Yes the rifle kicks more than the 223 AR because of the 7.62 round that packs more energy.

Yes the rifle uses standard AR parts - not all - most of the kit is used. The video is a V62 lower without a pistol grip, flash hider, A2 stocked to allow use of detachable 30rd mags!

Accuracy is on par with the AR rifle - the barrel is DPMS, the upper is Vulcan wide body. The 7.62x39 bolt & carrier are headspaced just like an AR so accuracy is much better than an AK. The complete uppers are $450.

The only work required is to fit the upper and lower so a machinist, gunsmith or good home hobbyist with tools can make this rifle. The AK magazine feed lips that are so thick need to ground down slightly on the top and underside surface to allow the bolt to catch the round and cycle.

This is why this set up using AK mags is more reliable than the Olympic or DPMS custom magazined 7.62 rifles that jammed so much... The video is an actual home hobbyist who had a Dremel tool to make the fit perfect!

See you at the Ventura Gun Show this weekend!

mailman
08-25-2006, 3:04 PM
that kid should put on some eye protection :D

richardsmelitia
08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey, I'm the guy in the video and this is one hell of a gun to have at the range. With a few slight modifications your ready to rock and roll all day long. It is a fun and inexpensive gun to shoot so you get more bang for your buck. It's very reasonably priced also so go get one. As far as recoil goes I weigh about 130lbs so the video is a little decieving, the recoil isn't bad. Dont follow my bad habits you should always spell and aberviate as well as wear your ear and eye protection when using firearms. Slap a standard A2 fixed stock and a thread protector on this thing instead of a flash hider, cut the pistol grip down and your good to go (CAL LEGAL) with your old removable AK mags. This model comes with a sling swivel instead of a bayonet lug so theres no worries there.

Army GI
04-25-2007, 8:32 AM
hey sorry for posting in an old thread, im currently working with pat on an AR/AK lower hybrid. he's very friendly and helpful with questions.

ive been looking for 7.62 soviet AR all around and im glad i found someone that can help me find what i was looking for

yes a 7.62 AR is VERY hard to find.

savageevo
04-26-2007, 7:48 AM
anyway of a group buy on this. would you set up with the vendors with all the parts needed and possibly the work done on the Oll already. I would be interested. a much affordable approuch than the MGI option.

Army GI
04-26-2007, 8:29 AM
I'm definately interested. The problem is actually finding someone to do build that darn upper. I still haven't found anybody yet.

xenophobe
04-26-2007, 8:31 AM
I've never seen an AR kick someone around that much, but then again that's not exactly 5.56mm. :)

It's not the gun that is kicking someone around... its funny... at 27 seconds you see the guy flinching in anticipation of recoil and it doesn't fire. lol...

twl
04-26-2007, 9:42 AM
For those interested in obtaining an upper that is already internally modified to take the AK mags, to work with this lower, the MGI QCB upper comes standard with the necessary internal relief cuts in the upper.

While I don't necessarily agree that this AR47 lower is a replacement for the MGI Modular lower, I do understand the sentiment about price sensitivity.

Anyway, for you guys who are looking for the upper that you don't have to modify, the MGI QCB will go right on this AR47 lower and work with AK mags.
Maybe later on, you might want to switch over to our lower, and get the extra benefits as you go along. That's one of the nice things about our system being compatible with the AR15 platform, and it even is compatible with this AR47 lower too.

We have the QCB uppers in stock, and you can call me or email me with questions or orders.
It's an expensive upper, but perhaps some might feel that not having to modify it, as well has getting quick-change-barrels, billet railed handguard, etc, might be worth paying more than getting a standard upper and doing machine work. For some, the extra money is worth eliminating the hassle, plus getting more features too.

We also carry the modified bolt carriers needed to work with the AK mags. We're out of stock right now, but we should have them back in sometime next week.

Not trying to horn-in on the original poster's topic, but trying to provide info about the upper that can work without having to modify.

Japedo
04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
The thing is Vulcan does'nt make the complete upper anymore. I have seen that DD's ranch sells the stripped upper, but then you have to put it together. I contacted Vulcan about the upper a month ago, as I have been looking for one for over 4 months and they said they sold out over a year ago and didint plan to manufacture more. Well I for one will probably go with one of those uppers, and there is a bonus, it's not Vulcan.

nic
04-26-2007, 7:33 PM
Hmmm.... would a MonsterMan Grip work on this thing?

Japedo
04-26-2007, 7:55 PM
I have my lower built with one, and is ready with some preban mags, I just need the upper.

Hmmm.... would a MonsterMan Grip work on this thing?

nic
04-26-2007, 8:19 PM
I have my lower built with one, and is ready with some preban mags, I just need the upper.

Sweet. Do you have pics?
It's probably a good thing that I spent all my gun money at Pat's last week... otherwise I'd be on this thing like a bum on a ham sandwich.

RAMCHARGER
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
What is the price if the stripped AR47 lower?