PDA

View Full Version : ATF on .22 rimfire

vantec08
01-25-2011, 3:44 AM
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/atf-technical-classifications-create-back-door-gun-control

jaymz
01-25-2011, 5:13 AM
Not sure about the multiple long gun registration, but I'm calling FUD on the ATF classifying the bullet button equipped rifle as having a detachable magazine. AFAIK, CA is the only state that needs bullet buttons to have a legal rifle. ATF doesn't give a damn about detachable mags like CA does.

SanPedroShooter
01-25-2011, 5:25 AM
It would seem like ATF is trying to work the system so they get accurate reports
If the article is true, its sounds like they are trying to plug up loopholes by not recognizing "bullet buttons" and the like as creating "fixed mags" for reporting purposes

Does the BATFE automaticaly have to be anti gun? Why should they play such an antagonistic role? I can only speculate its easier to **** with the millions of legal gun owners than try and do something about the statistically small number of people that misuse firearms...
All though i see their point, those guys have guns!!!
How can the BATFE be reigned in?

goodlookin1
01-25-2011, 5:50 AM
This is FUD. The ATF doesnt give a hoot about bullet buttons....that's all state regulation and nothing to do with federal laws. The ATF also cannot change, delete or add to California law, so if for some random reason the ATF DID look at the bullet button, they couldnt change the CA laws to say that it is only a fixed mag if it takes longer than x minutes to remove a magazine via a tool.

The reason this is such critical issue is because the ATF experts were watching U Tube and found a young kid rapidly detaching the magazine.

LOL.....again, the ATF does not care about how fast some kid can detach a magazine. The Assault Weapons Ban flunked out of congress back in 2004....they dont care anymore.

Furthermore, the multiple long gun sales reporting was stopped, so this article is outdated.

Now maybe if this was back in the AWB days...

vantec08
01-25-2011, 6:49 AM
It would seem like ATF is trying to work the system so they get accurate reports
If the article is true, its sounds like they are trying to plug up loopholes by not recognizing "bullet buttons" and the like as creating "fixed mags" for reporting purposes

Does the BATFE automaticaly have to be anti gun? Why should they play such an antagonistic role? I can only speculate its easier to **** with the millions of legal gun owners than try and do something about the statistically small number of people that misuse firearms...
All though i see their point, those guys have guns!!!
How can the BATFE be reigned in?

The BATF is a rogue, anti-constitutional agency that needs to be striken from the books. Tonight at midnite. Now.

SanPedroShooter
01-25-2011, 6:51 AM
You just made the list pal...;)

ElvenSoul
01-25-2011, 7:08 AM
Just FYI CA aren't the only ones using the BB anymore. Our little invention is upseting Gun Banners in other countires as well. I know for a fact Gun Owners in New Zealand are using it to get around their laws. Have heard rumors of it in Australia and Canada. I'm sure the ATF is just squaking to apease Obama.

oldyeller
01-25-2011, 7:15 AM
Ant word on the Chicago appointee for the head of ATF? That would probably make things much worse too.

dantodd
01-25-2011, 7:51 AM
He's acting head and has been for some time. I don't know about any confirmation plans or planned recess appt

bussda
01-25-2011, 7:57 AM
And this issue is discussed here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5685562#post5685562 .

Wherryj
01-25-2011, 7:57 AM
This is FUD. The ATF doesnt give a hoot about bullet buttons....that's all state regulation and nothing to do with federal laws. The ATF also cannot change, delete or add to California law, so if for some random reason the ATF DID look at the bullet button, they couldnt change the CA laws to say that it is only a fixed mag if it takes longer than x minutes to remove a magazine via a tool.

LOL.....again, the ATF does not care about how fast some kid can detach a magazine. The Assault Weapons Ban flunked out of congress back in 2004....they dont care anymore.

Furthermore, the multiple long gun sales reporting was stopped, so this article is outdated.

Now maybe if this was back in the AWB days...

I suspect that even if they were to try, an arbitrary time frame for "removal" could be easily challenged. I've seen pit crews "remove" "fixed" tires from vehicles as fast as I can remove my "fixed" magazine from my CA-compliant ugly black rifle.

dfletcher
01-25-2011, 8:02 AM
IIRC ATF defined the FN49 as having a detachable magazine even though a tool is required and once removed it's not much of a magazine. In fact it "disassembles itself as soon as it's removed from the gun. I don't bother to ever remove mine, it's a bit of a PITA and much more difficult than any CA BB.

B Strong
01-25-2011, 8:28 AM
My .02 -

This email that Cordera received is in part agitprop wrt BB issues.

ATF doesn't have any dog in the California gun law sweepstakles, and California isn't crying uncle to uncle Sam here.

There is no conceivable reason for ATF to be involved in this issue, and an ATF determination wouldn't have any effect on our situation in any case - the California statute does not turn on any aspect of federal law.

I'm willing to bet that some strangely influenced individual cobbled up this email, and forwarded to Cordera to satisfy some odd urge to seem important and informed.