PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County Shooting Areas Map

Ed8756
01-25-2011, 2:26 AM
I have created an overlay file for google earth that shows all of the legal and prohibited shooting areas for Riverside County. All of this information is derived from County Ordinance # 514.(complete pita). Please let me know if you find any issues.

Red areas are closed zones - no hunting, no shooting

Yellow is hunting with valid permit only (most areas are shotgun only, some areas, a rifle can be used for deer. I might update the map later on with more detail on this.)

No color - means that the area is considered to be east of the county divide and is therefore legal to both hunt and target shoot.

Please keep in mind that the current version of this map does not highlight cities. Cities and one mile adjacent in all directions are a no go for shooting. This map does not take into account national and state parks and their individual restrictions. This map also does not take into account other aspects of the ordinance such as shooting from roads, at buildings, from buildings, at livestock, vehicles, or people. Dont be stupid.

I created this map because of recent press articles in which the Sheriff's Department stated it was illegal to shoot anywhere in Riverside County unless it was at a range. County Supervisor John Benoit was very helpful in requesting clarification from the Sheriff's Department on their position. The Department believes that they were misquoted in the press and assured me that County Ordinance 514 is alive and well. Since most of my friends in the Sheriff's Department had no idea of if and where it was legal to shoot, I decided to make this map.

Thanks to Supervisor Benoit and his staff. Thank you to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department for their genuine and courteous responses.

HERE IS THE LINK (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9tcqkV1nPtHMzk3NGI3YTMtNjYzMy00MWIyLTlkM 2ItNjdlOTljYmIzMDdi&sort=name&layout=list&num=50) - you need google earth in order to open this file.

Update - due to problems with link I have attached the file in a .zip

Ed8756
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_n5wW2tdf6NE/TT8gvbAhQsI/AAAAAAAACdA/MCHWA56TpiY/s144/RIVCO%20514%20Screenshot.jpg

link to pic (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FYX4dz8AVsqFx3GFoKxaqA?feat=directlink)

Flintlock Tom
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
This is great!
Thank you for the effort.

tallic68
01-25-2011, 7:49 PM
Thank you very helpfull.
Question about BLM land.
Will you be putting that areas on there?
Just asking.

SDI
01-25-2011, 8:42 PM
Thanks for the map, I have been looking for one like this.
I also wonder about the BLM areas. There are definately some between Lake Elsinore and Perris.

Letitrip
01-25-2011, 9:12 PM
I had been looking for this too. I was looking at the area near palm springs and of course at least two miles off any road or houses. And according to this, it is open.

Got Stuff?
01-25-2011, 9:18 PM
Awesome!
Thank you for your hard work!

Cokebottle
01-25-2011, 9:20 PM
I also wonder about the BLM areas. There are definately some between Lake Elsinore and Perris.
County regulations apply within BLM land.
If County says hunting deer with shotgun and no other shooting, it applies within BLM land.

dc211
01-25-2011, 9:33 PM

I kept hearing about these secret shooting spots around. I was finally able to track them down using this website. It's real easy to remove all the shading and check for BLM land. Thought it might help you too.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

SDI
01-25-2011, 9:40 PM
I kept hearing about these secret shooting spots around. I was finally able to track them down using this website. It's real easy to remove all the shading and check for BLM land. Thought it might help you too.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

I do have that one thank you.
I am just wondering about a couple of places that I go to. They are in the yellow area, but people have been shooting there for 20 years. Not posted, LE never comes by there, although I am sure they are aware of the area.
I also think what Cokebottle said is correct.

erik_26
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
That is great. Too bad I don't live there.

I wish there was something like this for Merced County. It would be great if it was more city specific and showed school zones and other prohibited areas.

Keep up the good work.

guntrust
01-26-2011, 7:40 AM
Wow--thanks!

john15882
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Btt... Just wanted to keep this page as a reference. Very good stuff!!

bollero
03-31-2011, 3:30 PM
u guys can aways shoot at my winchester property. as long as u leave the cases.. so i can reload them..LOL

SDI
03-31-2011, 3:45 PM
That sounds like a good deal. I am too busy to reload anymore. If you are serious, shoot me a PM.

hawkeye45
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
u guys can aways shoot at my winchester property. as long as u leave the cases.. so i can reload them..LOL

were you serious about shooting on your property?? I'm interested. PM me please

hawkeye45
06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a question?

It shows in your map that east of Gilman Spring is considered legal to target shoot. But when I called BLM they say that the legal area for Riverside County is not until east of 29 Palms. So my question is, which is correct? Sorry if its a noob question, just trying to not break the law.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-29-2011, 4:10 PM
I can understand the big square area by Banning as it appears to be the Morongo tribe land, but the whole stretch across Idyllwild through to the 74?

click_bang
11-08-2012, 3:10 PM
Hi all,
I know this is an old post. An oldie but a goodie. I just moved into the area. Desert Hot Springs, Ca. 92240. I was looking for a place to shoot. I found a rod and gun club but they don't answer their phone or return emails. I wanted to know if that area map to shoot is still valid? If anyone knows? Hate to get a Misty and a 100. slap for shooting safe but not on the right side of the line? Anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help on this,
Click_Bang

P.S That KMZ file does not open anyone have a file that can be opened. Like a jpg,png,tif,bmap, etc??

The Cable Guy
11-13-2012, 4:22 PM
In for this as well. Any area within Lake Elsinore and Perris sounds very appealing.

DonFerrando
11-13-2012, 5:33 PM

Haha, not sure if serious but would love to know more...

capoward
01-27-2014, 5:14 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just moved to the Menifee/Sun City area and am looking for public land shooting area to take my son and grandkids to.

Any recommendations?

Vulgarian
02-08-2014, 6:41 AM
I'm looking for a place to take my son too. Reading this thread is depressing as the places my father and I used to shoot at are all either golf courses or closed for one reason or another. I suppose this is the reason gun clubs have such long waiting lists.

fundprogress
05-27-2014, 4:57 PM
Those are landlocked and lease federal lands, in other words yes they were BLM at one time but private owners bought all around them and blocked them off, legally and physically. You cannot access them without permission but even still because they are lease by surrounding ranchers, they're legally forbidden access.

jakep
05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Christmas tree lane in Perris.

edwardfa
05-28-2014, 3:03 PM
Is the map/pic updated? As noted above, I don't see Xmas Tree Lane in Perris area?

jakep
05-28-2014, 4:49 PM
That map isn't updated. It's from 2011.

"There is a shooting location near the Steele Peak area of Meadowbrook/Perris north of Highway 74.* Access to the area of Steele Peak is off the Santa Rosa Mine Road, off Christmas Tree Lane."
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings/Target_Shooting_and_Hunting_Information.html

NulodPBall
05-29-2014, 3:16 AM
Christmas tree lane in Perris.

I believe that may now be closed due to fire restrictions.

ryno066
05-29-2014, 9:07 AM
Christmas tree lane in Perris. I was there on the 18th and it was open.

NulodPBall
05-31-2014, 4:55 PM
Christmas tree lane in Perris. I was there on the 18th and it was open.

The notice was sent on the 22nd.

Please see my post in the below thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=14185543#post14185543

PoorRichRichard
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Tag