PDA

View Full Version : AR lower ?'s

geo5120
08-24-2006, 5:17 PM
As fas as the pistol grip "conspicuiosly below the action" rule, what is the bottom edge of the action of the rifle?

bu-bye
08-24-2006, 5:20 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/pistolgrip.htm

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 5:22 PM
As fas as the pistol grip "conspicuiosly below the action" rule, what is the bottom edge of the action of the rifle?

I think the bottom edge of the action, is the bottom edge of the receiver. Anything below that line would be below the bottom edge of the action.

Side note, the Browning 1919 guys use grips that stick out BEHIND the action.

I also just had an amusing thought: ACE skeleton stock, a pistol grip sticking down from the ACE stock, and a trigger on a lock bar moving forward to the trigger on the AR. Trigger pull would suck, but it WOULD be a legal, pistol gripped drop-mag rifle. I think.

blkA4alb
08-24-2006, 6:06 PM
I think the bottom edge of the action, is the bottom edge of the receiver. Anything below that line would be below the bottom edge of the action.

Side note, the Browning 1919 guys use grips that stick out BEHIND the action.

I also just had an amusing thought: ACE skeleton stock, a pistol grip sticking down from the ACE stock, and a trigger on a lock bar moving forward to the trigger on the AR. Trigger pull would suck, but it WOULD be a legal, pistol gripped drop-mag rifle. I think.
I don't believe that would fly, even though not attached to the receiver it would still be below the line of the recevier. Think of a line similar to the one used for the action and thumb for stocks.

They do actually make a kit to put 1919 style pistol grips on the AR with a trigger linkage.

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 6:13 PM
I don't believe that would fly, even though not attached to the receiver it would still be below the line of the recevier. Think of a line similar to the one used for the action and thumb for stocks.

They do actually make a kit to put 1919 style pistol grips on the AR with a trigger linkage.

Well, the Browning pistol grip is ruled acceptable on 1919's because, although it is below the action of the rifle, it's BEHIND the rifle. I figure following the same protocol could easily result in a similar device for an AR.

And I think you're talking about the spade grips for the AR, which are kinda cool in their own right... kinda different from what I'm talking about.

blkA4alb
08-24-2006, 6:17 PM
Maybe I'm not picturing what your talking about correctly then :o .

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 6:21 PM
From another guy's post:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/Blue84s10/karlwork335.jpg

Take a full length ACE stock, fit a pistol grip to that, and use some complicated linkage to connect the trigger next to that pistol grip, to the other end.

blkA4alb
08-24-2006, 6:24 PM
From another guy's post:

Take a full length ACE stock, fit a pistol grip to that, and use some complicated linkage to connect the trigger next to that pistol grip, to the other end.
Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me :p . I'm sure JPglee could rig up some sort of system though :D .