PDA

View Full Version : 9mm AR question.

Mr. Ed
08-24-2006, 3:26 PM
I am planning on buying a 9mm upper from Oly Arms, and it comes with a 10-round Sten mag witha magblock welded onto it. Is it possible for me to use their 9mm upper, but with a Uzi mag setup or are the uppers also mag specific? I guess what I'm asking is...as long as I have a 9mm bolt and carrier, can I use either sten or uzi mags?

EBWhite
08-24-2006, 3:37 PM
No, it only takes sten mags. You can used regular unmodified sten mags with a special mag block from kurtskustomfirearms.com

6172crew
08-24-2006, 3:43 PM
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/386988.htm

Like EB white said you hav eto use the Sten type mags and of course you can use the magblock.

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/386988.htm

EBWhite
08-24-2006, 3:47 PM
I did test fire an oly arms 9mm upper with the kurt mag block and sten mag and the gun worked great... Looked good too :-)

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 4:13 PM
Finally! I was waiting up for a no-modification-required magblock, looks like this one's it.

GTKrockeTT
08-24-2006, 4:44 PM
so, for the fixed mag guys...how does one modify the KKF paddle release so that the mag can't be released without the use of a tool?

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 4:59 PM
so, for the fixed mag guys...how does one modify the KKF paddle release so that the mag can't be released without the use of a tool?

I personally wouldn't - I'd just use a gripless config. :) Edit: won't. I have full cap mags that I'm pretty sure are Sten. And if they turn out not to fit, I'll just get 10rd Sten mags. Either way, I'll be going gripless.

But bear in mind that here, you probably have TWO magwells to pin. For one thing, you should pin the magblock into place with a Sporting Conversion, Prince50, etc kit so that you can't just eject it. All the magblocks I've heard of actually drop into the top of the receiver and thus couldn't be ejected out the bottom. However, the pics make this magblock look really small, so it's a concern for me.

Next up, you need to figure out how to pin the paddle. The paddle is similar to an AK paddle, so if you're willing to drill a hole through the latch, you could just use a set screw to pin it in place.

Alternatively, you could always use JB Weld or something to secure the magazine permanently into the magblock...

Riptide
08-24-2006, 8:20 PM
I ended up ordering two of the Oly K9 9mm uppers for a friend and I in April. The uppers finally arrived in late July, so expect some wait if you order them.

The uppers work great and I am very happy with the accuracy and no function problems. Its amazing how easy it is to hit the 10 ring at 20 yards. It's a hoot.

I ended up putting the upper on a registered lower and used the 10rd mags that came with it. My friend put his on a fixed mag lower and fed the rounds one at a time. Well he ended up having a little kaboom with his upper and broke off a little shelf on the bolt. We concluded that he was doing something bad. He was gingerly riding the bolt as it closed instead of letting it slam forward. We suspect that because of that, it fired out of battery. Now we are waiting on a replacement bolt from Oly. I hope it doesn't take 3-4 months!