View Full Version : I need to improve my 10/22 triggers, advice requested

08-24-2006, 2:51 PM
Went to the range the other day toting along 2 10/22s (one stock and one which I put a heavy barrel on). First time shooting the one with the heavy barrel since I made the switch and first time shooting the stock one (bought used recently). Anyway.

It's been a while since I'd shot a 10/22 and I was struck by how heavy the trigger is (it's noticeable trying to shoot the heavy barrel with a scope).

So I want to fix matters. I know you can buy complete replacement trigger groups from Volquartsen...but they're pricey and it seems like an excessive fix.

What sort of inexpensive mods have you used? I don't have any specialized tools or a dremel. Just basic stuff.

Thanks for any help.

08-24-2006, 2:59 PM
Randy @ CPC http://www.ct-precision.com/

And while you're at it get rid of those pesky 'fliers', send in your bolt to have the face trued, the firing pin pinned, and the side jeweled.

08-24-2006, 3:41 PM
The Volquartsen hammer. That's pretty much the most common trigger mod for 10/22s. Cheap and effective.

If you want a complete trigger assembly replacement, you need the Kidd trigger.

HUTCH 7.62
08-24-2006, 4:18 PM
I have the same problem but I have trouble dishing out 180 bucks for a Volquartsen Trigger Assembly. The one thing I did do was put a thin layer of moly lube on all the sliding surfaces in the trigger it helped a little.

08-24-2006, 4:25 PM
Have you checked out rimfirecentral.com?

They're actually 10/22 centric, even though %99 of the makers of rimfires are covered too.

08-24-2006, 4:41 PM
start with the VQ hammer on the cheap. if you're still not satisfied, then time to shell out the $$. 10/22's are a money pit once you get the mod bug.

50 Freak
08-24-2006, 6:03 PM
Check eBay, there is a company there that takes your standard 10/22 trigger pack and lightens it up to your specs.

I had mine lightened to 2 pounds. All for $30ish bucks.

08-24-2006, 7:29 PM
Get a stoning jig and stones. If you have two guns to do it will pay for itself. The jig and adapter are @$130 from midway add a couple of stones and you are set.

Check out the book "The ultimate Ruger 10/22 manual" it is the best book on 10/22 that I've found and describes stoning of the trigger as well as complete disassembly and reassembly. Good pics as well.

08-24-2006, 8:35 PM
Go with the VQ hammer. It is a great upgrade that will really improve the trigger pull. Mark

08-24-2006, 9:03 PM
As Phish said, rimfirecentral is great for 10/22 info.

I put in the Skeeter's trigger kit. Consits of a new hammer, adjustable sear, larger pins and the correct drill bits to install. About $60. You can get the same results with a VQ hammer and the "JB Weld trick" (takes up the pre-travel)

I also free floated the barrel, put in a pilar and bedded the action. Miles Gilbert bedding kit was about $20 but you can do it with JB Weld if you like.