PDA

View Full Version : Selling/shipping gun out of state

ArmedBear
08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it through search.

I'm looking to sell a gun of low value, that is of real interest only to certain collectors (an old Mossberg .22 rifle). I am concerned that transfer fees would be a significant part of the transaction.

If I sell it to someone out-of-state, can I just send it to their FFL, or do I need to do an FFL-FFL transfer?

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks mucho.
Barry

TonyNorCal
08-24-2006, 12:44 PM
You can send a long gun yourself. Double check with your buyer and make sure his FFL doesn't have an issue receiving from a private party. It's legal, but some FFLs prefer not to. You can use UPS, Fed-Ex, or USPS. However, you can't ship from a Fed-Ex/Kinkos center (they won't accept it)...you need to go to a depot. And USPS clerks may not know their own regs. A long gun is NOT required to be sent overnight, so don't let someone talk you into paying higher fees.

Handguns must be sent by an FFL unless they are going to the manufacturer for repairs.

icormba
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
How about the UPS stores?

TonyNorCal
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
How about the UPS stores?

Not sure on the UPS stores. Never tried. The Fed-Ex/Kinkos places have a prohibition though.

Also, handguns are required to be sent overnight. Long guns are not. But it's possible a clerk could get confused and just assume 'gun, needs to go overnight'. So don't pay more than you need to:) .

I found a good place, my local Fed-Ex Depot. The ladies at the counter didn't bat an eye the first time I arrived to send a rifle and that's a good thing.

ArmedBear
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Did they pack it, or did you bring it already packed?

(Where did you get the box? I threw away all the old boxes I had around, before I thought about it.)

Hey, thanks guys! I appreciate the good info.

TonyNorCal
08-24-2006, 1:01 PM
You pack it. I guess you could go somewhere and have it packed.

Why not call a local gun store and ask if they have any boxes you can have? Before they get tossed into the recycling dumpster.

ArmedBear
08-24-2006, 1:11 PM
Do you bubble-wrap a rifle? Other thoughts?

I've only gotten milsurps and brand-new guns in boxes, and the milsurps are just tossed in while the new guns have custom foam inserts in their boxes.

TonyNorCal
08-24-2006, 1:36 PM
I use at least some bubble wrap. For example....tape some around the muzzle and buttstock and maybe the action and fill in newspaper for the rest. That way the parts that come in contact with the box are reinforced and the rest is padded. You don't want to rifle banging around inside the box. Or at least surrounded with lots of newspaper or something. I think when you're on the receiving end it's nice to get a rifle that was securely packed. When i get a milsurp someone just threw in a box I sorta feel like 'eh, they didn't really care'.

On the other hand, I can see not wanting to spend time and money tracking down boxes and buying all sorts of materials. I typically save the bubble wrap and flatten some of the boxes I get. I store them away and if I need to send a rifle then I have my little supply already. But of course space and be an issue. Mine are up on top of a closet. CMP boxes are also great.

Another thing some people do is buy a cheap rifle case (like from WalMart) and put that in a box. I've never done that though.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-24-2006, 7:30 PM
Funny!

I just dealt with this exact same issue this morning....I purchased a longun from a prvate party and in the process of having it shipped to my FFL the receiving dealer stated that it had to be shiped FROM an FFL :confused:

I told him that I didn't think that was correct. So he advised me to call the store manager in the am. Well, I called the store manager and she stated that "it is state law that a gun be shipped FROM a FFL" I said hmmmm?

She said she would call the DOJ and call me back. When she returned my call she confirmed that the man she spoke with said indeed, that it would have to be shipped FROM a FFL. I was kinda suprised, so she said I could call them if I'd like, so I did :D .

Well, true to DOJ form, I spoke with one of the more known female DOJ staff and she advised me that "no, a long gun doesn't need to come from a dealer and that the private party could ship it no problem". She agreed to call my FFL and explain, which I thought was nice.

All in all it worked out ok....so far....but I thought I'd share since it happed just this morning.

Good luck.

CTT2
08-25-2006, 2:24 AM
Your tax dollars at work. Wait or are they creating more work?