PDA

View Full Version : Carrizo Plain

Fragenstein
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Just was wondering if anyone had done any sort of hunting at the carrizo plain/caliente hills? Its right next to San Luis Obispo and on BLM land. Planning on taking a Hunting trip up there soon and was wondering if there was any guidance I could get. Thanks in advance.

C.G.
08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey Just was wondering if anyone had done any sort of hunting at the carrizo plain/caliente hills? Its right next to San Luis Obispo and on BLM land. Planning on taking a Hunting trip up there soon and was wondering if there was any guidance I could get. Thanks in advance.

Supposed to be great for rabbits, you might want to do some search here:
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=153

Fjold
08-24-2006, 6:57 AM
There is some water up there in a couple of places, get a map from the BLM and do a little research. There were a lot of coyotes out that way, along with all the rabbits, etc. Some people have taken pigs on the Kern County side.

Fragenstein
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
There is some water up there in a couple of places, get a map from the BLM and do a little research. There were a lot of coyotes out that way, along with all the rabbits, etc. Some people have taken pigs on the Kern County side.

How bout squirrels? Im mostly interested in hunting those.

Fjold
08-24-2006, 1:20 PM
There are some california ground squirrels in the low lying portions of the Carrizo Plains but there are also the Mohave ground squirrel and the San Joaquin antelope squirrel living there. Both of these are classified as threatened by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and are protected, so don't shoot them. They're a lot smaller than the California ground squirrel but they could easily be mistaken for young squirrels. If all you see are little 6-8 inch squirrels, I'd be very careful as their ranges could overlap in some areas.

All the dog like animals running around are not coyotes either, the San Joaquin kit fox also live out there and they're listed as "endangered". They are pretty easily identified as they're not much more than 16" tall at the shoulder and have big bat-like ears.

Rob454
08-25-2006, 3:28 PM
I go hunting there quite a bit. usually rabbit or quail. I saw some antelope and deer but overall big game is almost non existant. I did see one wild boar but it was already dead. Otherwise the wild boar there were so overhunted that theire almost non existant in the area. its great if you like rabbit or to go shoot some jacks or a coyote. and go camping. otherwise its not good for anythign else
Rob

Nefarious
08-25-2006, 3:53 PM
Be vewy vewy quiet... im huntin wabbit.
Id love to take the woman hunting - and carrizo plain is not an unreasonable distance. Ill have to look into this also :D

chris
08-26-2006, 5:56 AM
been there many times. friend and i took a 300lb hog on opener of A zone deer. he also took a nice deer there the year before. nice area not a lot of people there. shot some coyotes there too. but the pigs are overhunted there. also get up in the hills there and get away from the crowd if there is any. lots of ground squirrels too.