PDA

View Full Version : Residency requirement for DROS of a rifle/shotgun?

AbinSur
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this question, but here goes: I ordered a shotgun from my favorite local gunshop about 3 weeks ago. At the time, I was told that the DROS could not be started before they received the shotgun (had to order it). Which didn't bother me too much, though in the past I seem to recall the 10-day wait starting when the DROS was filled out, even w/o the ordered long-gun in the dealers hands. So when the gun arrived, I went down to start the DROS and 10-day wait. I don't recall ever needing to provide proof of residency other than my CDL in the past, but this time the counter person said it was required for ALL firearms (utility bill, etc...). It's no big deal to provide, but I can't find on DOJ's website where anything other than my valid CA driver license (with correct address) is required. I was driving the wife's car at the time and it wasn't registered in my name. So I was told to come back today. When I did, I brought the fella a copy of PC 12071 from DOJs website. He said it didn't matter what the website says, he personally spoke to a DOJ rep who said, "...all firearms, handgun or long-gun, now require proof of residency". Is this right? I've NEVER given more than my CDL as proof of 'age and identity' per 12071...for a long gun (but I have for handguns). Now they've added 'residency' documentation for long guns, too? Appreciate your input. Q

halifax
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
FUD

Current valid CA DL with the correct address is all that is required for long guns.

paul0660
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Let me be the first to ask which uninformed gunshop this was.

ke6guj
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
there is no CA requirement that you provide POR for a long gun purchase. since your DL has your current address on it, there is no addtional federal POR requirments iether.

sounds like that dealer is mistaken. If they won't believe the PC from the website, call CADOJ yourself and confirm that you are correct and then have them tell the dealer that.

paul0660
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
call CADOJ yourself and confirm that you are correct and then have them tell the dealer that.

This, unfortunately, is not a perfect solution, as many DOJ employees are not well informed either. Especially when the problem is the absence of a requirement, the conversation can be long and unsatisfying.

stix213
01-24-2011, 1:17 PM
There's like a new gun shop lie posted here every day lately :(

When you pick up your shotgun I would mention that you don't appreciate being lied to, that you checked on the laws and verified that in fact you were the one correct the entire time, and that this is your last purchase. I don't really understand how gun shops can be in the business of selling guns but so many don't even bother to learn the laws. Its very disturbing. A gun shop owner should be the most informed individual in California on the laws that regulate their own freaking business.

AbinSur
01-24-2011, 1:55 PM
Well, I just got back from finishing the DROS paperwork. He is a nice guy. But new. Evidently they just finished a huge audit by both DOJ and ATF (over nearly 10 days...) and he said they're walking on eggshells. He essentially has the DOJ auditor on speed dial. I told him that as I read the law, and as is implemented by other more phobic corporate gun stores (Big 5 and Sports Authority), POR is not required. He finally said, "...I just want to be absolutely certain we (dealer) are covered. And after talking to the gal from DOJ, when she says 'all firearms', I'm not going to question it". It's a shame as I love giving a small, family owned store my local business, and over the years I've paid dearly to $ay that. I'm not mad at the store or the guy, but I'm saddened that they've allowed themselves to be beaten in to submitting to the whim of a DOJ phone call answer rather than the letter of the law...

fairfaxjim
01-24-2011, 2:59 PM
Unfortunately, I've had different DROS requirements from purchase to purchase, even at the same store w/different salesmen.

As for being beatten down and submitting to the whims of DOJ, ATF, local LE, local legislators, whoever, it seems all of the FFL's are in that boat to one extent or another. I recall the absolute "mound" of forms and check lists that the old Trader's Sports in San Leandro had everyone go through, fill out, initial, sign, whatever, in an effort to appease the endless line of "enforcers" the various government agencies plagued them with. Moral of the story is - doesn't matter how many BS and made up rules you comply with - if they want you gone, you're GONE!

AbinSur
01-24-2011, 3:07 PM
I talked to a buddy of mine who has worked with DOJ and ATF through audits and he both slammed the guy in my case, and supported him at the same time. He said essentially that ignorance of the law is no excuse for his (the dealers') behavior but at the same time, he has received many conflicting answers to questions he's called DOJ with in the past. I guess one day, one guy will tell you 'yes' and another day another guy will tell you 'no' to the same question. He also said they'll sometimes point you to the PC and not offer clarification if you run into a situation where the answer isn't cut and dry. So little by little, 'they' have successfully intimidated this dealer into 'stricter gun control'...even without the law to support it.

AbinSur
01-24-2011, 3:14 PM
To the extent that I can, I'm going to pass along Stix sentiment to the owner of the store.