PDA

View Full Version : Format of Chabot Tactical Rifle Match (OLL)

yf19ex
08-23-2006, 8:56 PM
I was currious what the shooting format for the tactical rifle match at Chabot is like. I have shot IPSC and IDPA before but not for some time. I would like to try my hand with a rifle.

How are the matches handled with the fix mags? Do people use stripper clips? Is the course formated for 10 round fire?

Thanks

M. Sage
08-24-2006, 4:35 PM
I don't know how well a fixed-mag AR would do, but you can use 10-round or even 5-round mags if you want. Hell, I use a Mosin-Nagant (with stripper clips, of course). It's all for fun. :D

Your best bet would be go gripless, fixed stock and no flash-hider. It'd probably be a bit more fun that way.

One shooting position I remember from the last match, you were laying LOW on the ground, and had enough targets from there to need 13 rounds... wouldn't be a great place to break open an AR.

Dont Tread on Me
08-24-2006, 4:44 PM
The Chabot tactical rifle matches are the ideal place to try out equipment and generally get into tactical rifle matches.

People certainly do compete with stripper clips, lever actions, etc. but M.Sage is right about the grip-less/detachable mag configuration being the best OLL AR option. Mudd won the last 3 gun match with his CA project.

I compete with a simple SU16 and have a blast. My advice is not to invest too much before you start competing as you will quickly learn what works and does not work for you. I have a small pile of stuff that just does not work when you have to run around, change positions etc.

yf19ex
08-24-2006, 9:17 PM
Thanks for the response. I actually have access to a registered Colt Sporter HBAR. It is my dads gun. Over 10 years old but hardly any ammo has gone through it over the years. I could probably say I don't even have over 5000 rounds through the gun in its life time. I also have also quite a few preban high cap mags too.

The only thing is, I prefer to keep it in its original configuration as a full size rifle as the value lies in not modifying it much. Although I could stick the short M4 upper on the top so it could be more CQB oriented. But would keep the standard A2 stock. I guess I could try with the full size. Still would be fun especialy with detach mags.

I saw on the site you can use Nagants. I had just recently purchased a virtualy brand new M44. Lucky pick. Blue was perfect and the bore, crown and rifleing looked like not one round had gone through her. Although using the Cezch ammo is causing the "sticky bolt" problem after 5 rounds or so.

ja391
08-24-2006, 9:27 PM
Anyone know of any rifle matches like this in Southern California? All I'm aware of is 3-gun matches.

Dont Tread on Me
08-25-2006, 5:33 AM
yf19ex - I think you have to be on the gun's registration or you wil have to bring one of the registered folks to the match.

ryang
08-25-2006, 8:11 AM
yf19ex - I think you have to be on the gun's registration or you wil have to bring one of the registered folks to the match.
Isn't it more than that? Don't have have to be over 18 or 21 even to use an assault weapon?

yf19ex
08-25-2006, 8:35 AM
Isn't it more than that? Don't have have to be over 18 or 21 even to use an assault weapon?

I could see were you may think I am a kid. I am not. Lets just say my current job with the Federal Government requires me to carry a gun if you know what I mean.

In fact my dads regret was that I did not have the weapon reg under my name should anything happen to him.

oaklander
08-25-2006, 4:10 PM
MSage - do you know if we are allowed to use different rifles for different courses during the same match?

M. Sage
08-25-2006, 5:19 PM
MSage - do you know if we are allowed to use different rifles for different courses during the same match?

No idea. You'd have to ask Scott. If anybody wants his email, it's on the Chabot site http://chabotgunclub.com on the Tactical Rifle page.

Just so nobody gets confused, I have nothing to do with the organization of these, I'm just there for fun, and have only shot them twice so far.

The M44 would be fun (but slow, not that it matters in the long run for fun). I can give you a direction for a decent setup since I use a 91/30.

yf19ex
08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will most definelty show up to the next meet.

For my M44 The only thing i need to solve is my sticky bolt problem. But its not the chamber, its the firing pin. The firing pin gets stuck when trying to get the bolt back. Infact pulling the bolt and resetting the firing pin makes it easier to get the case out.