PDA

View Full Version : Which .22 upper should I get?

gose
08-23-2006, 7:53 PM
I want to build up one of my OLLs to a dedicated .22, but have no idea which upper to get. I dont want a conversion kit, since I have enough lowers to build a dedicated .22 ;)

blkA4alb
08-23-2006, 9:23 PM
I've good things about the V22 upper. It also is not just a conversion kit and can't fire .223.

Here it is http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=UCZ22&storeid=1&image=ucz22.gif&CFID=8292070&CFTOKEN=14236986 .

gose
08-23-2006, 9:32 PM
Looks pretty good. Do you know if it accepts a standard handguard, since I was thinking of pimping it and need something with more rails :D

blkA4alb
08-23-2006, 9:36 PM
I don't know for sure but would be surprised if it didn't. I think Grammaton76 owns one though. When funds permit I hope to get one myself.

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
I own one, but I honestly don't have any idea if it accepts a standard handguard.

I've got an article on cleaning the thing below. The handguard screws on; it's threaded onto the upper receiver. I have a hunch that's not a normal handguard thing. However, you could perhaps rig up your own handguard, by threading a pipe of the correct diameter, and attaching whatever you wanted to it.

http://www.thegunwiki.com/view/Gunwiki/CleanARV22Upper

I will say that my upper started jamming a while back, following the pattern other people have posted about with their V-22's. However, the detailed cleaning procedure above should clean it out pretty thoroughly and restore it to full function.

gose
08-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I own one, but I honestly don't have any idea if it accepts a standard handguard.

I've got an article on cleaning the thing below. The handguard screws on; it's threaded onto the upper receiver. I have a hunch that's not a normal handguard thing. However, you could perhaps rig up your own handguard, by threading a pipe of the correct diameter, and attaching whatever you wanted to it.

http://www.thegunwiki.com/view/Gunwiki/CleanARV22Upper

I will say that my upper started jamming a while back, following the pattern other people have posted about with their V-22's. However, the detailed cleaning procedure above should clean it out pretty thoroughly and restore it to full function.

Thanks, maybe I should go with a bushie instead then. Not sure how good the carbon upper will look on a standard lower but I also get a good excuse to get a carbon lower as well :)

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks, maybe I should go with a bushie instead then. Not sure how good the carbon upper will look on a standard lower but I also get a good excuse to get a carbon lower as well :)

If you do that, then make sure you pin your mag or run gripless. The main reason I recommend the V-22 is because you can't remove it from your lower without the use of tools. With other uppers that fit better, you're only finger pressure away from swapping a centerfire upper onto a drop-mag rifle. :/

gose
08-23-2006, 10:45 PM
If you do that, then make sure you pin your mag or run gripless. The main reason I recommend the V-22 is because you can't remove it from your lower without the use of tools. With other uppers that fit better, you're only finger pressure away from swapping a centerfire upper onto a drop-mag rifle. :/

How can that be worse than than turning a screw (with a tool) and getting a drop-mag center-fire rifle? ;)

NorCal MedTac
08-24-2006, 8:45 AM
I bought a dedicated .22 upper from bushmaster and am very happy with it. I made it evil with rails and foregrip and stock. works great and is a lot of fun.

gose
08-24-2006, 8:51 AM
I bought a dedicated .22 upper from bushmaster and am very happy with it. I made it evil with rails and foregrip and stock. works great and is a lot of fun.

Did you get the carbon 16" or the 20"?

edit: apparently you can get the 16" barrel with an aluminum flat top upper.

edit2: a 16" flat top upper should be heading my way shortly :D

onley11
08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
I'll be recieving my v22 tommorrow and I'll do a full detail strip using the above link as a guide... I think there are a few inconsistencies in the report, but I'll get it hammered out and report back...

PIRATE14
08-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Got a few bushie 22lr kits in and it looks okay on a regualr lower but much better on the carbon bushie lower.......

I haven't dragged one out to the range yet....so many rifles so little time:D

But it's a Bushmaster....what could go wrong....:cool:

grammaton76
08-24-2006, 2:01 PM
How can that be worse than than turning a screw (with a tool) and getting a drop-mag center-fire rifle? ;)

Because with that, you actually require a tool.

If the upper can be seperated from the lower with finger pressure alone, then you DON'T need a tool to swap over to a centerfire upper. There have been allegations that, during the AWB, the BATF would take loose AR parts and put them into illegal configurations. I wouldn't put it past the DOJ to swap uppers on you, or say you were going to, if it doesn't require a tool to remove.

Just another layer of safety that I personally don't feel comfortable without.

Now, if you were to use the JP Precision takedown pins that you tighten up with a tool (and can't be removed without one!) to put the upper and lower together, that's another story. No issues there in my book.