PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg Is At It Again

Archie B.
01-24-2011, 9:45 AM
http://www.rr.com/video/1764572667

BigFatGuy
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I made it about 30 seconds in... glad I don't live in nyc anymore...

Veggie
01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
So in what state do you not have to do a background check at a gun show?

maddoggie13
01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I made it about 30 seconds in... glad I don't live in nyc anymore...

+1...moved out of NYC 20 years ago.

Patrick-2
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
So in what state do you not have to do a background check at a gun show?

Several. In Virginia you can have people carry out private transactions at the show or in the lot. When I go the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly it is common to see some guy walking the show with a rifle slung over his shoulder, with an attached note saying "For Sale". No FFL required.

Guys like this are why they call it a "Gun Show Loophole", but in reality Hizzoner is looking to ban all private transfers, everywhere. Not just gun shows.

Some gun shows are starting to prevent private sales on the property on their own. They don't need the drama and the firms renting tables don't always appreciate the competition.

nick
01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Several. In Virginia you can have people carry out private transactions at the show or in the lot. When I go the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly it is common to see some guy walking the show with a rifle slung over his shoulder, with an attached note saying "For Sale". No FFL required.

Guys like this are why they call it a "Gun Show Loophole", but in reality Hizzoner is looking to ban all private transfers, everywhere. Not just gun shows.

Note that all handgun transfers already require an FFL per Federal Law. And gun shows are starting to prevent private sales on the property on their own. They don't need the drama and the firms renting tables don't always appreciate the competition.

Private handgun transfers within the same state are required to go through an FFL per Federal law? I think, quite a few states might be surprised at that.

pTa
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
what a douche

RRangel
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Several. In Virginia you can have people carry out private transactions at the show or in the lot.

In free America you can sell your private property anywhere. This is the state of normalcy in this nation. Which goes to show that the "gunshow loophole" is the gun control straw man argument for the purpose of advocating more restriction.

After this one its proponents will be working on closing the next "loophole." Probably the "anonymous gun buying loophole," where they will decry that "in some states," firearms are allowed to be sold without registration. Think of the children.

Patrick-2
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
In free America you can sell your private property anywhere. This is the state of normalcy in this nation. Which goes to show that the "gunshow loophole" is the gun control straw man argument for the purpose of advocating more restriction.

After this one its proponents will be working on closing the next "loophole." Probably the "anonymous gun buying loophole," where they will decry that "in some states," firearms are allowed to be sold without registration. Think of the children.

Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner!

dfletcher
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Note that all handgun transfers already require an FFL per Federal Law. And gun shows are starting to prevent private sales on the property on their own. They don't need the drama and the firms renting tables don't always appreciate the competition.

That's definitely not true - you may be suffering from "Maryland-itis" on gun sales like we suffer from "California-itis" in thinking all states are like ours. :( In most states two adults can sell handguns to one another directly, no problem.

I haven't noted "no private sales" discouragement at the gun shows other than as noted that some don't want private sellers walking about with "for sale" signs on their guns because it takes away business from folks who pay for tables.

You are right on 100% regarding the Mayor's intent of banning all private sales - there's no logical way to agree to banning gun show private sales but allowing all other private sales to continue. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Patrick-2
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
That's the second time in a year I was corrected on that. I keep confusing inter-state and in-state. Thanks for the correction.

As much as I'd like to blame it on CA or MD, the simple fact is I was wrong when I should have known better. Thanks again.

Aleksei Vasiliev
01-24-2011, 3:15 PM
He was on CBS and actually said reasonable things. Seriously.

Obviously not all of them were reasonable, but see this article, and the end of this video.
Video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7279063n
Article: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/24/eveningnews/main7279150.shtml?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel
Bloomberg Urges Enforcement of Federal Gun Laws

[...]

"There are federal gun laws that say you can't sell guns to minors. You can't sell guns to deranged people. You can't sell guns other drug dealers. You can't sell guns to criminals," Bloomberg said. "There is also a requirement that a background check is done before you sell a gun. The trouble is there's no money to enforce it and there are loopholes."

"So, you think the laws that currently exist are enough," Couric asked. "Or do new laws need to be passed?"

"You can always have more laws, but if you don't enforce the ones on the books, there's no reason to go and have additional laws that everybody feels good, everybody beats their chest and says, "See, I did something,'" Bloomberg replied.
[more in article]

But man the video on RR is bad. I love the last line, though: "That will protect lawr-abiding gun owners, and protect us all from those who violently... lawless, mentally unstable... actions lead to death."

Pred@tor
01-24-2011, 3:29 PM

Not true at all I can buy and sell handguns to anyone that isn't prohibited person but lawfully I can do that without having a bill of sale either. Many states are like this and a 3rd of this forum wants private sales to go away because freedom is scary.

gunsmith
01-24-2011, 8:36 PM
I cant wait for the new version of the Thune amendment so I can go visit my home town NYC, and carry.

Patrick-2
01-25-2011, 5:07 AM
Not true at all I can buy and sell handguns to anyone that isn't prohibited person but lawfully I can do that without having a bill of sale either. Many states are like this and a 3rd of this forum wants private sales to go away because freedom is scary.

Yes. I was corrected earlier. Thanks.

I should go back and edit my post.

Patrick-2
01-25-2011, 5:07 AM
I cant wait for the new version of the Thune amendment so I can go visit my home town NYC, and carry.

Bring bail money and a lawyer or two.

Dr.Lou
01-25-2011, 6:07 AM
Bloomberg's hypocrisy never fails to piss me off! He likes to step all over the second amendment, but when it comes to supporting the mosque near ground zero and the first amendment of Freedom of Religion, he's beating his drum loud.

Wherryj
01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Bring bail money and a lawyer or two.

His family will feel much better after they receive the payment for his wrongful death, however.

That is for those four bullets out of 135 fired-because the NYC police were panicked about seeing a gun-that actually hit him.

JimSar
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Here's the blurb from MoveOn.org. Care to sign the petition? NOT!

A bipartisan group of more than 550 mayors from across the country, led by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, are calling for commonsense reforms that would stop individuals like the shooter in Tucson from getting a gun and hopefully prevent more mass shootings like the one in Arizona.

These reforms have huge public support (over 90%!)---however, the gun lobby and the NRA *will* fight this tooth and nail. But if we can show overwhelming public demand for the mayors' efforts right now, we can win.

Can you sign this petition to Congress supporting the bipartisan proposal from Mayors Against Illegal Guns?

<name withheld>, a compiled petition with your individual comment will be presented to your Senators and Representative.

Link to petition website deleted.