PDA

View Full Version : Chambering?....

Leadthrower
08-23-2006, 7:31 PM
What the heck does it mean to chamber a barrel? I was looking on a barrel manufacturer's website and saw that they had this service for their barrels for an added fee. Can someone tell me what it means to do this process to a barrel/rifle?:confused:

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 7:34 PM
I believe this is for when you're dealing with barrel blanks. To chamber it, they'd cut the outline of the bullet into it so that it'll actually accept a bullet of the caliber you're specifying.

-hanko
08-23-2006, 7:50 PM
What the heck does it mean to chamber a barrel? I was looking on a barrel manufacturer's website and saw that they had this service for their barrels for an added fee. Can someone tell me what it means to do this process to a barrel/rifle?:confused:
The barrel blank is drilled and rifled for a specific caliber. Before you install the barrel to the receiver, the receiver end is cut with a chamber reamer to fit the cartridge you're using...that's called chambering. The barrel is also threaded to fit the receiver. Get a gunsmith to do it, he'll check for proper cartridge headspace (google it:D ) while he's chambering.

Get a book on basic gunsmithing, it'll help.

-hanko

Leadthrower
08-23-2006, 8:33 PM
Thanks for defining that term for me guys, I think I will get a basic gunsmithing book/manual...:) By the way thanks for the help again gents.