PDA

View Full Version : Have to re-DROS a replaced lower from manufacturer?

chuckr
01-24-2011, 9:32 AM
I bought a stripped lower directly from an out of state lower manufacturer a while back.

There was a problem with the pin holes, so I sent it back for them to take a look. They did find a problem and said they'll have to send me a new lower, but they'll have to send it to my FFL and I'll have to go through the DROS again (which they said they'd pay for).

Is this right? There's no way to do this without an FFL and fresh DROS?

What happens to the DROS from the original lower? I no longer have that lower with that serial number but I'll be on the books as having it.

Untamed1972
01-24-2011, 9:46 AM
Serial numbers, make, model etc are not used in a long gun DROS. That's only for handguns. Although I beleive the serial number is used on the 4473. They prolly hafta do it that way for their records too, because once they make it and serialize it, they hafta to account for where it went if they're inspected by ATF. So if they just send you one it could like they're selling out the back door. You should ask them is they can just machine you a new one with the same serial number.

DROS info for longguns is not retained by DOJ after like 14-30days....I forget the exact time frame. Longguns are not registered so it's not really an issue I dont think. The dealer still has record of the sale, but other then that no one is any the wiser.

But if they're payin for the DROS, then all you're out is just a little time for the 10-day wait.

IEShooter
01-24-2011, 9:59 AM
That sounds weird. I wonder if they are truly a manufacturer or a re-seller just like most are.

I have a Springfield M1A that was having some problems with the bolt sticking back. I called Springfield, they e-mailed me a Fedex label and I shipped the complete rifle directly to them in Illinois. They said the receiver was out of spec, so they installed a new one, with new serial number (similiar situation to your lower) and Fedex'd it directly back to me at my home.

I was surprised and asked them how they were able to do that and he explained that as a manufacturer they are allowed to ship rifles for repair back and forth directly to customers. I'm sure there's some paperwork on their end of some sort, but all I did was sign for my package when it arrived.

No middleman, no DROS (other than original purchase of course).

jtmkinsd
01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
That sounds weird. I wonder if they are truly a manufacturer or a re-seller just like most are.

I have a Springfield M1A that was having some problems with the bolt sticking back. I called Springfield, they e-mailed me a Fedex label and I shipped the complete rifle directly to them in Illinois. They said the receiver was out of spec, so they installed a new one, with new serial number (similiar situation to your lower) and Fedex'd it directly back to me at my home.

I was surprised and asked them how they were able to do that and he explained that as a manufacturer they are allowed to ship rifles for repair back and forth directly to customers. I'm sure there's some paperwork on their end of some sort, but all I did was sign for my package when it arrived.

No middleman, no DROS (other than original purchase of course).

This is illegal, unless they engraved the serial number from your old receiver on the one they replaced it with.

If a manufacturer replaces the receiver, the firearm must be shipped to an FFL to transfer to you as a new firearm. Unless of course, as I said, they engrave the replacement receiver with the same serial number. Generally the manufacturer will reimburse you for the cost of the transfer and DROS.

As for the old firearm, you should have a copy of the work order or invoice from the manufacturer stating you shipped them the old receiver, and they will have a record of destruction of the old receiver.

ke6guj
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
federal law allows for them to send back the original firearm, or a similiar (replacement) firearm direct to the owner, with no FFL needed on the owner's side. however, CA law appears to only allow for the original firearm to be returned directly to the owner.

chuckr
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
OK - sounds like I'll just have to suck it up and go through the FFL hassle once more. I can try to hit them up and see if they'll just re-use the serial number, but I'm guessing there are federal bookkeeping issues on their side to deal with.

Thanks for the info.

Holocanthus
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Not sure if it only applies to handguns, but I found a bunch of scratches on my Sig after I DROS'd and had already waited 10 days. Called Sig, they replaced it and I got an exemption to the 10 day wait as it was for the same gun, just with a new serial.