PDA

View Full Version : Cali-Fal Permanent?

insin
08-23-2006, 5:45 PM
I just got the chance to handle a DSA Cali-Fal durring my lunch break at my local gun shop. It seemed pretty decent, given the fact that it is loaded by strippers to the fixed mag. I was wondering how permanent the conversion was? The sellsman said that it could be sent back if I was to move out of california to be converted to normal. He also said that it wasnt welded or epoxied. If it wasnt, I wonder how hard it would be to convert back to normal...
(Of course only if I were to move. I am just scared to ship a rifle via mail. :rolleyes: )
Any ideas?

thekwyjibo
08-23-2006, 5:50 PM
They weld a piece of metal in the magazine release well to make the release unable to push in. It probably can be reversed with a dremel tool and some time. As another option, someone could go out and buy another lower receiver (the upper is what is registered) and replace it, although that would inbolve a couple of pressed pins so it is also a bit involved.

insin
08-23-2006, 5:52 PM
I never thought about that option.

-hanko
08-23-2006, 6:54 PM
As another option, someone could go out and buy another lower receiver (the upper is what is registered) and replace it, although that would inbolve a couple of pressed pins so it is also a bit involved.
I don't understand...the mag well and magazine release is part of the registered upper. What does another lower receiver do for you??;)

-hanko

SemiAutoSam
08-23-2006, 7:00 PM
As I have seen the DSA FAL receiver as well Ill try to explain how the locking device works.

Its a little block of metal that is welded to the ejector block and since the ejector block isnt welded but pinned to the receiver it does not hurt the receiver. The ejector block is inserted as the mag is and the ejector block is pinned into place and the pins are staked into place somewhat like the screws or small bolts that hold the GAS KEY onto the AR15 bolt carrier.

You would not have to purchase another upper or lower receiver as the lower only holds the fire control parts and butt stock you might find another ejector block as that is the part that will require modification.

thekwyjibo
08-23-2006, 7:01 PM
I don't understand...the mag well and magazine release is part of the registered upper. What does another lower receiver do for you??;)

-hanko

Wrong part, my bad. I believe that the section there can be removed though although it is a bit difficult to get it back together once done.

TonyNorCal
08-23-2006, 7:02 PM
I've talked to DSA and the salesman is wrong. DSA has said they will not alter a Cali-Fal. They've told me this twice...once a Cali-Fal, always a Cali-Fal. That's their policy. Even if you move they say they won't change it. Now, that doesn't mean you can't get it done, but you'd probably have to find a gunsmith or do it yourself.

I think though that if you're moving to the free part of America then you might as well just sell the Cali-FAL here locally and use the money on any of the staggering number of amazing choices citizens in freedom have:p .

-hanko
08-24-2006, 1:59 PM
Its a little block of metal that is welded to the ejector block and since the ejector block isnt welded but pinned to the receiver it does not hurt the receiver. The ejector block is inserted as the mag is and the ejector block is pinned into place and the pins are staked into place somewhat like the screws or small bolts that hold the GAS KEY onto the AR15 bolt carrier.

You would not have to purchase another upper or lower receiver as the lower only holds the fire control parts and butt stock you might find another ejector block as that is the part that will require modification.

It's not a trivial job to fit a new (different) ejector block. It's equally difficult to remove the one currently in the upper.

I don't see the allure of the dsa/prk setup...you can cut a mag release that purposely won't function from aluminum or steel, and install it yourself in a few minutes. Search this forum or the fal files.

-hanko

Q
08-24-2006, 3:01 PM
i remember entreprise selling complete fals with no grip. i think a monsterman grip would be cool also. i have wanted a fal for the longest time. i think i will save up for a dsa tactical model instead of a colt piston.

C.G.
08-24-2006, 4:52 PM
i remember entreprise selling complete fals with no grip. i think a monsterman grip would be cool also. i have wanted a fal for the longest time. i think i will save up for a dsa tactical model instead of a colt piston.

Don't be silly; get both!:D

RobT2K
08-24-2006, 8:36 PM
So is monsterman offering a FAL grip yet? I thought it would have been the next one made after the AR. There seem to be quite a few FALs around here.