PDA

View Full Version : Rashid/Rashid-no mention, but...

AntiBubba 2.1
08-23-2006, 3:08 PM
I haven't seen any mention of the Egyptian Rashid as Prohibited, but I thought I'd check here. I know others have gotten thumbs' up on the Ljungmann and Hakim, but I don't count rationality as a basis for the CA DOJ, so I thought I'd ask anyway.

anotherone
08-23-2006, 3:11 PM
Not only is Hakim's little brother Rashid lawful in California but you can also use detachable magazines with Rashid (although I wouldn't modify such a collector's piece myself).

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 3:19 PM
Not only is Hakim's little brother Rashid lawful in California but you can also use detachable magazines with Rashid (although I wouldn't modify such a collector's piece myself).

The Rashid was designed with detachable magazines, dude. No modification required.

And yes, I've had a letter exchange with the DOJ, even bringing up the fact that VISUALLY it resembles an SKS. They stated that the Rashid is not a problem, as parts do not interchange between it and the SKS.

SemiAutoSam
08-23-2006, 3:21 PM
Arent these items wanted by the Ministry of homeland security ? they sound like terrorists.

xenophobe
08-23-2006, 6:30 PM
The Rashid was designed with detachable magazines, dude. No modification required.

They were designed with detachable mags, but were intended to be loaded by stripper clips through the top of the action, not by replacement with a full magazine.

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 6:37 PM
They were designed with detachable mags, but were intended to be loaded by stripper clips through the top of the action, not by replacement with a full magazine.

Right, just like the Hakim. However, that doesn't mean that removing and re-inserting the magazine will require modification or stress out the rifle any.

The Hakim's mag release is spring based, just like any mag release ought to be.

I've messed with Rashids a little at gun shows, and nothing has stood out to me saying "this mag doesn't want to be detached"...

xenophobe
08-23-2006, 9:17 PM
Yes you are correct, but just as the MAS 49 and 49/56 they're easier to just load with a stripper clip.

The Soup Nazi
08-23-2006, 9:25 PM
Pretty much like SVT-40s then. Meant to be loaded with 7.62X54R with stripper clips rather than swapping out magazines. And you wonder why the aftermarket repros cost at least 50 dollars each, stripper clip did the same job for less amount of metal.

anotherone
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Most early semi-auto rifle designs were intended to be loaded via stripper clips. Although many feature detachable magazines the magazine was detachable for cleaning/maintenance purposes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read somewhere that even the M-14 was designed for stripper clip loading and US GIs carried stripper clip bandoliers for their M-14 rifles.

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes you are correct, but just as the MAS 49 and 49/56 they're easier to just load with a stripper clip.

Correct, and I don't disagree here. But, if you look above, you'll note that what I was responding to was that the original poster seemed to think that you had to MOD it for detachable magazine operation.