PDA

View Full Version : Effectivenss & Unity: Maintaining our focus

H Paul Payne
08-23-2006, 4:04 PM
To All:

I would like to thank all of you on Calguns.net who took time from your busy lives to help the NRA oppose the DOJ's Proposed Regulations
regarding so-called "assault weapons" during the last few weeks. Your assistance has been invaluable and I really appreciate the show of unity from the California gun owning community on this important matter. Your continued support of NRA's legislative positions are a fine testament of how we can focus our voices so they will be heard, even in the confusing halls of the State Capitol and the nearby hearing rooms.

The interaction between all of us, NRA members, volunteers, staff, non members, and others, has proven to be an effective and fruitful
relationship that I believe can continue to grow for a long time to come. And I feel that the foundation of this relationship must be built on trust and honesty, and be cemented by a close working relationship. Those who know me, know that I am not the type to soft-sell or gloss over facts.

My experience has taught me to choose my battles, and to recognize when a battle is won or lost. And most of all, it has taught me that I must keep the end goal in sight, so I don't get distracted and become less effective than I otherwise would have been.

It is not my job to set legislative policy, nor dictate to those who do. But I do work in concert with them in furtherance of NRA's objectives. Legislative and election policy comes from our NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA). It is my job to work with you, the gun owners of California, mostly via the NRA Members' Councils to assist NRA-ILA in these efforts. In this manner, we act as one coordinated unit - organized, educated, and most of all effective.

Many of you know, or have met our NRA-ILA CA State Liaison (lobbyist) Ed Worley. Ed and I work closely together in order to achieve NRA's goals. Fortunately for me, I get to spend time with people such as yourselves, while Ed is frequently working with our elected officials in the Capitol. Believe me, I have the better end of this arrangement. But Ed works closely with NRA-ILA leadership in NRA-HQ and he does have input into legislative policy. This close working relationship gives us, California's gun owners/NRA members, the benefit of well-planned strategies and tactics.

I will now come to the point of this message.

For some time now, many gun owners have become disappointed by the actions, inactions, positions, etc. of gun-rights groups including the NRA. I cannot, and will not, speak for or about groups other than the NRA. But I will continue to keep our goals in focus. Those goals include passing pro-gun legislation while defeating anti-gun legislation.

Lately, it seems that many of you have come to understand that the NRA is indeed actively engaged in the Second Amendment fight in California and we are as dedicated as ever to never quitting this effort. I sincerely appreciate your confidence in our efforts and your trust in the NRA. It is a tremendous honor that neither Ed, I, our Members' Council volunteers, or the leadership in NRA-HQ take for granted.

I give you my word that I will try my hardest to maintain the level of trust that we have established so far. Furthermore, I will do everything in my power to increase that level of trust even higher. And I will do it with deeds, not just words.

But sometimes, in our enthusiasm for victory, we can be distracted. If we are not careful, that distraction can move us off of our target and we will temporarily forget where our most serious opposition lies. At this time, that opposition is found in the form of bad legislation than can be voted on in Sacramento within the next week or so.

The purpose of this message is that I, as an NRA employee, am not condoning, nor condemning, the actions of other gun groups. Nor do I advocate that you waste precious time and effort doing so either. Rather, I am suggesting that we all focus on the most serious opposition to our freedom and concentrate our efforts on the legislation that the NRA is actively opposing in Sacramento. These bills are: AB352, AB2714, SB59, and SB1578.

Our sources have informed us that HCI (or whatever they call themselves today) has been gearing up their efforts and have tested all of the legislator's phone numbers. We must be prepared for the maximum effort during these last days of this session.

The legislative session will be over soon, and we will know how we stand soon after. Should any of those bills pass, we might even need to shift some of our focus to the Governor's Office. But one thing is for sure, your NRA will be here to let you know where we stand on these legislative efforts, and our focus will be outboard, not inboard.

Thank you for reading this, and thanks for your efforts and your trust.

Yours, for the Second Amendment and the NRA.

Semper Fi

Paul

>>>>>>>>>>

H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
3565 La Ciotat Way
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 683-4NRA Office
(951) 779-0740 Fax
nrausmc@earthlink.net Email

>>>>>>>>>>

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 4:13 PM
Question for you, Paul - I was thinking about this the other day.

I've noticed that the NRA has some lawsuits going against local ordinances citing state pre-emption as a basis for discarding the local firearms ordinances.

However, there are a lot of local ordinances which don't have current action listed against them. Is there some hidden cost in doing so? I'm wondering why the NRA doesn't go ahead and file against more of these local ordinances at a time. One or two ongoing suits, when it seems a couple of new cities add ordinances every year, doesn't seem to me to be gaining ground.

Are you guys trying to set predecent with test cases first, so that the other cases are more open-and-shut, or what?

6172crew
08-23-2006, 4:17 PM
Glad to see you here Paul. Welcome to Calguns Im sure we can help each other out this year and next.

Semper Fi;)

bwiese
08-23-2006, 4:35 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize how much the NRA was doing in the background - I knew somehthing, but didn't realize the depth and extent and aggressiveness.

I thought I was pretty much all alone in analyzing all those memos and trying to rebut them, and that NRA lawyers in background were just gathering some info for future fight - I didn't realize it was a continiuing, active, participatory one by NRA staff and Chuck's office.

Rather refreshing!

artherd
08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Paul- thanks again for all your efforts.
-Ben.

bwiese
08-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Paul- thanks again for all your efforts.
-Ben.

I second the motion.

1911_sfca
08-24-2006, 1:12 AM
Thanks for your efforts. I was sitting next to you at the hearing in Sacramento, when you asked for a written copy of my statement. Although we didn't get to talk much at the time, I like what you wrote here.

Comstock Lode
08-24-2006, 7:23 AM
After reading the NRA letter submitted to DOJ regarding their "clarification" I realized how simple minded my letters to them were in comparison. I was expressing comments and questions from a common sense perspective, without all the legal bases... Do these letters from "plain folk" make any difference, or does DOJ simply craft a canned response to each simple comment/question (e.g. what is "permanent", is the Sporting Conversions kit legal, is a permanent mod requiring a tool legal to remove mag legal, is permanent "fixed" configuration legal when mag is removed using tool and mag well is open, etc.), and then focus on a their rebuttal to the deeply researched legal arguments posed by NRA and other legal experts?

6172crew
08-24-2006, 8:03 AM
After reading the NRA letter submitted to DOJ regarding their "clarification" I realized how simple minded my letters to them were in comparison. I was expressing comments and questions from a common sense perspective, without all the legal bases... Do these letters from "plain folk" make any difference, or does DOJ simply craft a canned response to each simple comment/question (e.g. what is "permanent", is the Sporting Conversions kit legal, is a permanent mod requiring a tool legal to remove mag legal, is permanent "fixed" configuration legal when mag is removed using tool and mag well is open, etc.), and then focus on a their rebuttal to the deeply researched legal arguments posed by NRA and other legal experts?

IMHO- Yes, all of our homegrown letters will have an impact on the whole OLL thing. If the DOJ continues down the same path our letters will play a part in the lawsuit that is sure to come. What judge could ignore the fact that what we have said is true on all accounts.

"Clairification" and the DOJ are like oil and water, they dont mix. BTW thanks for sending in a letter on behalf of all gun owners in CA.;)

Ryoushi
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah my my email was not as focused or referenced as it should have been but it was polite. I figured it was good to let them know there was yet another person in California concerned about this bill. Sometimes I worry that because I send in so many emails on gun issues whenever my Assemblyman or Senator or the Safety Committe whoever sees one from me they say something like "oh it's just that gun freak in Clovis."

mikehaas
08-24-2006, 10:30 AM
After reading the NRA letter submitted to DOJ regarding their "clarification" I realized how simple minded my letters to them were in comparison... Do these letters from "plain folk" make any difference...?
No question, they do. For every gun-related issue, there is a legal side and a political side.

NRA's incredibly comprehensive letter (http://calgunlaws.com/article-465.html) is clearly important on both fronts, being a group that is very involved in the election process (with endorsements, ratings, financial and grassroots support for campaigns, etc) and is most capable of ultimately taking any issue to court.

While our letters tend not to be as technically developed, they contribute greatly to that political side - any group that receives a flood of input from COURTEOUS and CONCERNED individuals (the kind that DON'T show up wearing "camo" to make a point - I've seen it) ignores same at their own peril. We aren't the kind to just express our displeasure and fade away; we are professionals too in our own fields.

It would be a different situation if NRA were the only technically and socially proficient party at that hearing and the rest of us were raving maniacs that just angrily screamed about our Second Amendment rights. NRA would stand alone. No, they don't take us average citizens as seriously legally, but knowing we are there to back up NRA adds a whole new dimension to the political aspects.

Clearly, with DOJ's history of sluffing their responsibility off to the 58 California D.A.s across the state ("Sorry law-abiding citizens, our opinions mean little because any local D.A. can disagree with us and you are S.O.L.!") and the ambiguous BS DOJ is trying to pull now, DOJ is more concerned with politics than technical accuracy anyway. And that's where we help NRA immensely.

We are most useful when we "have NRA's back". (For the old fogies here like me that don't know all the mod lingo, that means "supporting them vigorously". My kids taught me what that means, BTW (youngest is 25 :-).

Mike

artherd
08-24-2006, 2:27 PM
Your letters do matter.

They may cover points that NRA & Consul have overlooked (hey, it's possible! :) and show numerical stregenth of certain viewpoints.

One voice yelling into the wind, however articulate, is easy to drown out.
One million voices are impossible to ignore.

mikehaas
08-25-2006, 1:32 PM
Your letters do matter.

They may cover points that NRA & Consul have overlooked (hey, it's possible! :).
Indeed it is.

And think of this: what if EVEN *HALF* OF THOSE WHO BOUGHT AN OLL had submitted a letter or email? (forget about content for a moment) This is the picture you want to have in your mind...

Submitted to the DOJ on Aug 16th...

A ream of paper, ------------------ and >15,000
(all 1 letter from NRA) ------------ citizen letters
over here ---------------------------- over here

We had the left side, but compared to the number of OLLs that were purchased, the number of letters actually submitted (100-200) were "noise". (A vigorous THANK YOU to all you patriots that actually took the time!) Virtually no participation by a group that is affected more than most. I don't know about you, but *I* see a place where a lot of education AND RECRUITMENT needs to take place.

BTW, we distributed the hearing CAL-ERT...
http://calnra.com/calerts/calert080406.shtml
...on Aug. 4th and I tell you, it was definitely circulated! Makes one wonder if a majority of online gun-owners think "I did my part" because they simply forwarded it to someone else? IMO, gun-owners are notorius for thinking someone else will protect their rights - one of the reasons we have these issues now! (They don't realize "someone else" moved to Arizona 2 years ago.)

Mike

chris
08-26-2006, 6:44 AM
dude mike you are right on the money. i sent an e-mail and asked a member here to send a hard copy letter. for goodness sakes people i'm in iraq and took a few minutes to type a letter out. we need to make our voices heard.

like mike said to many gun owners here think someone else will do it for them. the time of that attitude is over.we are one election away from losing it all. and you all know who is running against arnold.

hey mike i don't think people understand the gravity of this situation we are in.

mikehaas
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
dude mike you are right on the money. i sent an e-mail and asked a member here to send a hard copy letter. for goodness sakes people i'm in iraq and took a few minutes to type a letter out. we need to make our voices heard...
Chris is fighting for freedom over there and here at the same time. Chris, you and those like you make me proud to be an American all over again.

I hope you have nominated yourself (or someone who knows your APO/FPO has done it for you) at http://ProjectBoreSnake.org/ - every nominee receives 4 "snake kits", 3 for buddies. Each kit has 2 snakes, either 9mm/5.56mm combo or 7.62mm/12.7mm (for your sniper teams).

The kits aren't a lot for guys that put it all on the line every day, but your compadres seem to like them very much, even calling them "Life savers". We've raised over $50K and have sent over 7,000 bore snakes "over there".

For those that AREN'T in Iraq or Afghanistan, you can probably guess - we need donations (100% goes to bore snakes and shipping!) Right now, we have hundreds of soldiers/marines that are waiting for bore snakes.

Please take a look at http://ProjectBoreSnake.org/testimonials.html if you need nudged. NRA, Rotary Clubs and Soldier of Fortune Magazine have been most helpful. Every donation helps.

Mike

6172crew
08-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I took advantage of project boresnake and sent one to my brother inlaw with 1/7, he was pretty happy about it, he will coming home next month I will report back on what the other jarheads thought about them.:)

mikehaas
08-27-2006, 6:48 AM
I took advantage of project boresnake and sent one to my brother inlaw with 1/7, he was pretty happy about it, he will coming home next month I will report back on what the other jarheads thought about them.:)
Cool. That's what it's there for.

BTW, the feedback we get back is that 9mm cleaning tools are almost non-existant over there. So when they get one of our (standard infantry) 9mm/5.56mm kits, they are in seventh heaven. Apparently for their 9mm sidearms, it's not a case of giving them a better cleaning tool, it's giving them a cleaning tool period.

Mike

chris
08-27-2006, 8:00 AM
Cool. That's what it's there for.

BTW, the feedback we get back is that 9mm cleaning tools are almost non-existant over there. So when they get one of our (standard infantry) 9mm/5.56mm kits, they are in seventh heaven. Apparently for their 9mm sidearms, it's not a case of giving them a better cleaning tool, it's giving them a cleaning tool period.

Mike

i'm leaving the boresnake i brought here for the next crew. i'll get to nominating the new guy here when they arrive.