PDA

View Full Version : Optics for Bighorn / Elk

Hunt
01-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I'll be spending some time in a part of Arizona that has produced record trophy Bighorn Sheep as well as an area that has produced monster bull elk. I am wanting to spend some time doing prehunt private mapping and photography for the lucky hunters that drawed for these hunts. I have about $1700 to spend on binos, scope and tripod.I have Zen ED 10x43 now, I like them but my style is much more handholding than tripod for binos I am thinking of new Zen Ray ED2 7x36 then for a scope it must be digital SLR capable. I am thinking a Nikon, Minox or Pentax 65 mm objective (80mm?) ED glass and a 15x45 range zoom eyepiece. Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated.

252yft
01-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Hunt,

Try over at 24hourcampfire.com.

GL

dodgerfan175
01-27-2011, 8:34 AM
Can't go wrong with Zeiss best glass IMHO. I looked through a-lot glass at the Shot Show last week and Zeiss was the best, but that's just me.

Hunt
01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Can't go wrong with Zeiss best glass IMHO. I looked through a-lot glass at the Shot Show last week and Zeiss was the best, but that's just me.

was there that much difference

dodgerfan175
01-28-2011, 6:46 AM
Between Zeiss, Swaro and Leica not much difference but I still believe Zeiss has an edge as far as glass. The Swaro did fit my hands a little better and the Leica were a little lighter. The Nikon EDG series binocs were not even in the same class I was expecting a bit more for that price.