PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Lovers and Haters

Ferdmac
01-23-2011, 7:01 PM
I currently own a Glock 17. I am thinking about purchasing a Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II. Any inputs regarding this gun. All opinion is appreciated. I want to make my decision before I attend the upcoming gun show.

Thanks

FLAWLS1
01-23-2011, 7:06 PM
I just bought the TLE/RL II in stainless on the 21st. So I guess I can report back to this thread when I get a few good rounds through it.:)
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/dditzel72/Don/IMG_0922.jpg

roushstage3
01-23-2011, 7:45 PM
I love my Kimber Tactical Custom II have used it twice at Front Sight and have not had an issue with it at all. LIke the Kimbers so much just bought a stainless target II in 9mm.

ultra01
01-23-2011, 7:57 PM
I've own a Kimber TLE for approx 3 years... thousands of rounds down range! have never had any issues with it.

great 1911...

OutlawDon
01-23-2011, 8:03 PM
Here are mine...beauty and the beast :) Although I've though about selling the Kimber just because I don't shoot it as much as the Glock. I've been more practical/tactical with my weapon choices lately, and the Glock's what I'll be using in upcoming pistol classes.

http://healthbydon.com/kimberglock.jpg

http://healthbydon.com/kimberdiamond.jpg

para38super
01-23-2011, 8:10 PM
Here are mine...beauty and the beast :) Although I've though about selling the Kimber just because I don't shoot it as much as the Glock. I've been more practical/tactical with my weapon choices lately, and the Glock's what I'll be using in upcoming pistol classes.

You got some nice toys there man.

OutlawDon
01-23-2011, 8:13 PM
You got some nice toys there man.

Thanks man! Only nice toys are interesting. ;)

It's easier to afford when one is single and no kids too. haha

den888
01-23-2011, 8:23 PM
Welcome!

B Strong
01-24-2011, 6:38 AM
Welcome aboard.

Please don't forget to check out:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/

I own a TLE/RL II with over 5K rounds of ball down the pipe, and close onto 10K of .22 LR through the conversion kit w/o major problems.

ocspeedracer
01-24-2011, 6:49 AM
I'm a hater, what can i say.

Bought a TLE II new 2007 after about 900 rounds and numerous calls to Kimbers crap customer service, it would not run right. FTF's FTE's FTRB's basically every failure, got down to one failure every 30 or so rounds.

That plus Kimber's one-year good for nothing warranty. I say Les Baer if you can afford that or Springfield where you might get 1 piece of crap in more than 5000 guns but they really will fix it.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 7:01 AM
I just bought the TLE/RL II in stainless on the 21st. So I guess I can report back to this thread when I get a few good rounds through it.:)
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/dditzel72/Don/IMG_0922.jpg

That is a beauty! Thanks for the reply. Look forward to hearing back from you. Fire away! Safely ofcourse.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 7:03 AM
I love my Kimber Tactical Custom II have used it twice at Front Sight and have not had an issue with it at all. LIke the Kimbers so much just bought a stainless target II in 9mm.

Thanks! I can't wait to have mine. Too bad Kimber doesn't seem to have a conversion from a .45 to a 9mm.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 7:05 AM
I've own a Kimber TLE for approx 3 years... thousands of rounds down range! have never had any issues with it.

great 1911...

That is good to know. I have some sort of relief knowing that I will be purchasing a reliable piece of weaponry for the price they sell for. Thanks for the info.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 7:08 AM

That is an awesome pair. I can't wait to add the Kimber to my collection. Thanks for the Reply.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 7:13 AM
I'm a hater, what can i say.

Bought a TLE II new 2007 after about 900 rounds and numerous calls to Kimbers crap customer service, it would not run right. FTF's FTE's FTRB's basically every failure, got down to one failure every 30 or so rounds.

That plus Kimber's one-year good for nothing warranty. I say Les Baer if you can afford that or Springfield where you might get 1 piece of crap in more than 5000 guns but they really will fix it.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your honesty. Too bad you had a bad experience with the Kimber. It seems like there are more positve than negative feedback.

zrockstar
01-25-2011, 7:40 AM
I used to own a Glock 17, and currently own a Kimber Stainless II and an Ultra Carry. While the Glock was fun to go bust a few rounds off with, the Stainless II is by far my funnest gun to shoot either recreationally or seriously. I am 100% confident in the function of my Kimbers.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 8:04 AM
I used to own a Glock 17, and currently own a Kimber Stainless II and an Ultra Carry. While the Glock was fun to go bust a few rounds off with, the Stainless II is by far my funnest gun to shoot either recreationally or seriously. I am 100% confident in the function of my Kimbers.

Thanks! Im really excited to get one this weekend. Im just trying to look for the best price possible.

DougJ
01-25-2011, 8:30 AM
I own a couple and they have both been great. My Pro Carry has about 3000 rounds through it, well over half of that LSWC handloads. No issues.

Ferdmac
01-25-2011, 8:54 AM
I own a couple and they have both been great. My Pro Carry has about 3000 rounds through it, well over half of that LSWC handloads. No issues.

Thanks! Good to know. Another satisfied customer. I will definitlely post my Kimber on this thread as soon as I purchase it.

resident-shooter
01-25-2011, 9:29 AM
Ghet anuther Glawk :D

glockman19
01-25-2011, 9:54 AM
The reason I bought my first Kimber was because I shot one at my indoor range so well. I asked why they had Kimber and not Springfield, Colt or other 1911's and they said; "This gun has over 70,000 rounds and all we've done is change out springs and a barrel after 50,000.

That was enough for me. I bought a Kimber Custom II. Since I've added a Pro Carry II, and all three Raptor II's Full, Pro and Ultra.

IMHO, 1911 style pistols are best of breed in the .45ACP caliber. Glock makes the best 9mm pistol.

The Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II is a very nice pistol. Enjoy it.

tacticalcity
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Like you I am a Glock guy and like you I was recently bitten by the 1911 bug. I just picked up a gently used Kimber Custom II at an AMAZINGLY low price.

However, if I knew then what I know now I would have insisted on an aluminum frame model and paid extra for it - even if it meant holding off and saving up more money.

Since you are a Glock guy, you are used to a light weight gun. A steel frame 1911 is going to be shockingly heavy.

The only good thing about the weight is it helps with recoil absorbtion.

The list of negatives include increased fatique and very uncomfortable prolonged carry. Basically it pulls your pants down all day, especially if you have to run.

The decreased weight of the alumnimum frame models is a huge plus for a gun that you plan on wearing.

Don't get me wrong. I like my Kimber Custom II very much. It is just not 100% ideal for my needs due to its weight.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/pix575075312.jpg

Ferdmac
01-26-2011, 6:34 AM
The reason I bought my first Kimber was because I shot one at my indoor range so well. I asked why they had Kimber and not Springfield, Colt or other 1911's and they said; "This gun has over 70,000 rounds and all we've done is change out springs and a barrel after 50,000.

That was enough for me. I bought a Kimber Custom II. Since I've added a Pro Carry II, and all three Raptor II's Full, Pro and Ultra.

IMHO, 1911 style pistols are best of breed in the .45ACP caliber. Glock makes the best 9mm pistol.

The Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II is a very nice pistol. Enjoy it.

That's an impressive rigorous test fire. Im just SHOCK. One more reason for me to get mine this weekend. Thanks!

Ferdmac
01-26-2011, 6:41 AM
Like you I am a Glock guy and like you I was recently bitten by the 1911 bug. I just picked up a gently used Kimber Custom II at an AMAZINGLY low price.

However, if I knew then what I know now I would have insisted on an aluminum frame model and paid extra for it - even if it meant holding off and saving up more money.

Since you are a Glock guy, you are used to a light weight gun. A steel frame 1911 is going to be shockingly heavy.

The list of negatives include increased fatique and very uncomfortable prolonged carry. Basically it pulls your pants down all day, especially if you have to run.

The decreased weight of the alumnimum frame models is a huge plus for a gun that you plan on wearing.

Don't get me wrong. I like my Kimber Custom II very much. It is just not 100% ideal for my needs due to its weight.

Thanks Jedi. Great to know. That's very informative. But I hope I wont have to chase anyone down. I will look into some of the aluminum Kimbers.

para38super
01-26-2011, 6:44 AM

Having buying remorse already my friend. You just bought that kimber, and you seem so exited to buy it. I am a 1911 fan,but I agree with you on it being very heavy. A fully loaded 1911 is like 3 pounds. :43:

Ferdmac
02-05-2011, 6:10 AM
Finally went and bought my Kimber TLE RL II. I just have to wait for the mandatory 10 days waitiing period. I can't wait to start testing it out.:)

DougJ
02-05-2011, 8:20 AM
Finally went and bought my Kimber TLE RL II. I just have to wait for the mandatory 10 days waitiing period. I can't wait to start testing it out.:)

Congratulations! You're gonna love it. I recommend you field strip it, clean it and lube it generously before you shoot it. I also hand cycled the slide a few hundred times on each of mine, they are quite tight when new! Keep it pretty wet as it wears in for that first few hundred rounds.

You might also want to dry fire it (safely!) a bunch if you're not used to a good 1911 trigger. I was out shooting with a CHP friend of mine and he had some trouble getting used to the trigger, it was kinda funny actually. He's so used to his duty weapon that he kept trying to "pre-load" the trigger on the Kimber, and that wasn't working for him...:)

MTD
02-05-2011, 6:47 PM

I bought a Kimber Custom II. Since I've added a Pro Carry II[/SIZE], and all three Raptor II's Full, Pro and Ultra.

How's your Pro Carry II? Pro/con? I am so wanted one...

r0dent
02-05-2011, 8:01 PM

Are u a LEO? Cos 99.99% of us won't have that problem. They don't like to give out CCW here in our great state...

Laura
02-05-2011, 8:57 PM
I picked up a pro carry II in Sept., had a lot of malfunctions - both feed and ejection (plus I had to start wearing a hat at the range because I was getting nailed in the forehead with hot shells). Thought at first it was me (5'2" female with small hands shooting a 45) or that it just needed to be broken in,... 800 rounds later I couldn't get through one magazine without at LEAST one problem - ENOUGH!! So, I ordered up some Wolf springs, and the last time I took it out I only had 1 easy to fix stove pipe out of 100 rounds! Still getting hit in the head, but who cares, I LOVE my Kimber. I've had friends complain about the sights (or they feel, lack there of) but I shoot a tighter pattern with it than any other gun I've shot. Even when I had so many problems, I never considered getting rid of it. So, congrats on you purchase - ENJOY!!

MTD
02-05-2011, 9:13 PM
I picked up a pro carry II in Sept., had a lot of malfunctions - both feed and ejection (plus I had to start wearing a hat at the range because I was getting nailed in the forehead with hot shells). Thought at first it was me (5'2" female with small hands shooting a 45) or that it just needed to be broken in,... 800 rounds later I couldn't get through one magazine without at LEAST one problem - ENOUGH!! So, I ordered up some Wolf springs, and the last time I took it out I only had 1 easy to fix stove pipe out of 100 rounds! Still getting hit in the head, but who cares, I LOVE my Kimber. I've had friends complain about the sights (or they feel, lack there of) but I shoot a tighter pattern with it than any other gun I've shot. Even when I had so many problems, I never considered getting rid of it. So, congrats on you purchase - ENJOY!!

So you're saying Kimber Pro Carry II with quite a few problem out of the box; then 800 rounds later you placed a bandage on and the bleeding stop, also, you fell in love w/ her! Hence, a "yes" for K-PCII...

A dealer in Venture County has one for ~$850 (all black); she feel just right in my hand... I may have to cough up the $ and wait the 10 days for her...

Laura
02-06-2011, 6:42 AM
Yes, I'm saying that even with issues she's a gun to love. Beautiful and so very accurate.

MTD
02-06-2011, 8:28 PM
Yes, I'm saying that even with issues she's a gun to love. Beautiful and so very accurate.

:iagree:

Sold! She's mine... after 10 long long days... Thanks for the... push

Ferdmac
02-10-2011, 9:02 PM
Congratulations! You're gonna love it. I recommend you field strip it, clean it and lube it generously before you shoot it. I also hand cycled the slide a few hundred times on each of mine, they are quite tight when new! Keep it pretty wet as it wears in for that first few hundred rounds.

You might also want to dry fire it (safely!) a bunch if you're not used to a good 1911 trigger. I was out shooting with a CHP friend of mine and he had some trouble getting used to the trigger, it was kinda funny actually. He's so used to his duty weapon that he kept trying to "pre-load" the trigger on the Kimber, and that wasn't working for him...:)

Thanks for the advice DougJ. Four more days...:62::

Cali-Shooter
02-10-2011, 9:04 PM
I love my TLE/RL, but everyone loves to bash Kimbers about their "unreliability." I'll let you know if it starts to let me down, but so far, running good.

Ferdmac
02-10-2011, 9:07 PM

Thanks Laura! I'll keep track if I have any problems. But Bloggers seem to advice me to field strip it first before firing which I intend to do. Four more days :)

Ferdmac
02-10-2011, 9:11 PM
I love my TLE/RL, but everyone loves to bash Kimbers about their "unreliability." I'll let you know if it starts to let me down, but so far, running good.

Thanks for the info Cali! In my opinion Kimber has the best overall grade when it comes to accuracy, handling, durability, reliability and looks.

Cali-Shooter
02-10-2011, 9:23 PM
I currently own a Glock 17. I am thinking about purchasing a Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II. Any inputs regarding this gun. All opinion is appreciated. I want to make my decision before I attend the upcoming gun show.

Thanks

Just an FYI, a good price to buy a Kimber Custom II TLE/RL is around 950-1,000 dollars. I got mine for $949, which I'm still stoked about! I'm not sure if the Stainless versions are more expensive, but you should assume that they are equal in pricing. A price for these guns below $900 is a VERY good price. Don't be hasty in finding a gun to buy, look around and jump on a good/decent deal, like $950 or max $1,000.
Don't pay more than $1,000 for one of these, you can find it for less than that.

Fadedline
02-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Never had an issue with my custom tle II. Love that thing. Haters gonna hate:cool2:

glockman19
02-11-2011, 8:03 AM
How's your Pro Carry II? Pro/con? I am so wanted one...

The pro carry is the only pistol I've ever had any issues with. After 500 rounds was sent back to Kimber. Polished feed ramp, replaced all springs. It has shot flawlessly ever since...it resides in my nightstand.

Ferdmac
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Just an FYI, a good price to buy a Kimber Custom II TLE/RL is around 950-1,000 dollars. I got mine for $949, which I'm still stoked about! I'm not sure if the Stainless versions are more expensive, but you should assume that they are equal in pricing. A price for these guns below $900 is a VERY good price. Don't be hasty in finding a gun to buy, look around and jump on a good/decent deal, like $950 or max $1,000.
Don't pay more than $1,000 for one of these, you can find it for less than that.

Thanks again for the info. However I went ahead and bought it @ Turners. Stainless is worth more and with the California taxes plus the $30 DOJ checks you can imagine how much I paid. Although this is going to be my favorite pistol and is priceless in my opinion.

Ferdmac
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Never had an issue with my custom tle II. Love that thing. Haters gonna hate:cool2:

Thanks Faded. I agree with you.

Ferdmac
02-11-2011, 4:40 PM
The pro carry is the only pistol I've ever had any issues with. After 500 rounds was sent back to Kimber. Polished feed ramp, replaced all springs. It has shot flawlessly ever since...it resides in my nightstand.

Thanks! I'll monitor mine. Hope I won't have to run into that situation.

kermitz
02-11-2011, 5:32 PM
I love my UC II so much i've got a second Kimber on order.

Ferdmac
02-11-2011, 6:32 PM
[QUOTE=kermitz;5798331]I love my UC II so much i've got a second Kimber on order.[/QUO

What is your second Kimber?

Ferdmac
02-20-2011, 3:06 PM
I finally got my very 1st Kimber. Already shot 50 rounds through it and not a single issue. It perform perfectly. I clean it before and immediately after my test fire. Love it. Considering buying another Kimber but this one seems to be my favorite.

Minotaur
02-20-2011, 5:48 PM
Congrats on the great purchase. I carried a G22 during my career and when I was retired I bought another. Last year I bought a Custom II and then last week a Pro Carry HDII. They are heavier than a poly gun, but you will love it they are accurate as all get out and smooth. The target below was my first 7 rounds through my Custom II (Or any 1911 for that matter) and those two fliers were my fault.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/darincraft/IMG_0292.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/darincraft/IMAG0071.jpg

Ferdmac
02-20-2011, 6:10 PM
Great Shooting Minotaur. I can't wait to take mine in an outside shooting range. I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing is that, it takes a little bit longer to clean compared to my Glock 17.

Minotaur
02-20-2011, 6:25 PM
Definitely about three times longer and what appears to be a couple of hundred more parts:eek:. Thanks for the compliment. I shoot as much as possible.