PDA

View Full Version : shipping out of state for sporting use

atlas
08-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I ride motorcycle and was thinking of going on a trip to an unspecified state up north. I would like to take a rifle with me, but don't really have a good spot on the bike for it. I was looking at this page ATF faq and I wonder if there is a legal way for me to ship it there instead of carrying it the whole way. This portion of the faq seems to suggest its possible to ship via maybe fedex or something. Am I way off?

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

atlas
08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Also, does this apply to handguns? anyone ship a handgun to themselves and back to california? I have seen some other threads on shipping long guns, so I guess that is cool.

artherd
08-23-2006, 1:49 AM
Yes, you may ship to yourself any gun that is not an assault weapon, .50BMG rifle, etc. Handguns are OK (but those can also go on the bike, unloaded in a locked container of course).