PDA

View Full Version : CA police chief says they need greater control of guns

jpigeon
01-23-2011, 5:44 PM
This is kind of old. But what the police chief says in the vid shocks me. Why do we let our public servants speak like this?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec10/guns_09-02.html

timdps
01-23-2011, 5:57 PM
Its our friend Ken James from Emeryville:

KEN JAMES, Emeryville, California, Police Chief: Guns are always dangerous. And you never know when -- when that gun is -- when that's going to turn on you. If we have greater control on the guns, greater regulation on the guns and in the public realm, the -- the chances of us coming in contact with that gun become fewer.

Got to watch out for those durn guns turning on you. You'll shoot your eye out!

Sallie Nordyke and Don Kilmer also contribute.

Tim

pTa
01-23-2011, 5:59 PM
onc a police officer becomes a chief, they leave the real world behind and enter th world of politix

treat thim as you would any other politician/

Ding126
01-23-2011, 6:02 PM
Big Talk, little man...seriously, little man.. He has a future with the Brady's. He will be kicking and screeming in the future because of CGF. :)

dustoff31
01-23-2011, 6:11 PM
AZ/CA citizen says police chiefs need greater control of criminals.

Ding126
01-23-2011, 6:14 PM

I like that

jpigeon
01-23-2011, 6:30 PM
I guess we are all criminals in his eyes...

yellowfin
01-23-2011, 7:27 PM
AZ/CA citizen says police chiefs need greater control of criminals.They have it already in that they own the CA legislature. Hence our problem(s).

NightOwl
01-23-2011, 7:33 PM
Good ol' CA police chiefs. Wish they'd interview police chiefs from gun-friendly areas outside of this state as a counterpoint.

Edit: I've seen it already, but it was refreshing to hear what an idiot he is. He should stop talking and just let people wonder if he's dumb.

Window_Seat
01-23-2011, 7:34 PM
The discussion took place here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338494).

Erik.

augie1946
01-23-2011, 8:08 PM
This is kind of old. But what the police chief says in the vid shocks me. Why do we let our public servants speak like this?

Being retired LEO this surprises me BUT the fact that this "chief" is just outside of Berkley doesn't surprise me either. No offense to those of you from that area that actually have brains.

Seems to be a super lib city appointed chief that is bending over for his city council. Take his gun away after he retires or allow him to only carry on duty in a patrol car and he'd be the first one to cry about it.

uyoga
01-23-2011, 8:37 PM
It's all about control . . . . I can . . . . you can't . . . . and I will see to it.

wildhawker
01-23-2011, 8:46 PM
Seeya at the CGF booth during the California Police Chief's Association, Ken buddy.

Mendo223
01-23-2011, 9:12 PM
LOL emeryville even has a police force??? what a joke....emeryville is like oaklands baby sister, totally irrevelent, but cute and not much of a threat to anything.

Hunt
01-23-2011, 9:24 PM
I guess we are all criminals in his eyes...

we are--- the trick is to criminalize everything.

Kid Stanislaus
01-23-2011, 9:29 PM

BINGO!! We have a winner!:D

Tarn_Helm
01-23-2011, 9:48 PM

The topic of civil liberties probably is barely touched in most law enforcement curricula in any state.

I would like to see an amendment to the Constitution that changes that.

If I need legal permission to exercise my constitutional rights, then law enforcement should need legal education before getting in a position to take them away.
:rant:

Librarian
01-23-2011, 9:50 PM
Seeya at the CGF booth during the California Police Chief's Association, Ken buddy.

Drat. Meeting is in Anaheim. I was going to ask if I could come help with the booth.

Nor-Cal
01-23-2011, 9:57 PM
I wounder how all the police chiefs will like the CGF booth at the California police chief association?

wildhawker
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I wounder how all the police chiefs will like the CGF booth at the California police chief association?

Probably about as well as Brady Campaign - we're across the aisle and one spot over (catty-corner).

pTa
01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Probably about as well as Brady Campaign - we're across the aisle and one spot over (catty-corner).

oh thats gonna be fun

N6ATF
01-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Ken the oath-breaking traitor needs to take a permanent vacation to North Korea.

http://www.petitiononline.com/FIREpckj/petition.html

SJgunguy24
01-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Brandon, when is this, I must be there.

I talked to a newer SJPD officer. We were talking guns and I showed him a pic of a couple guns I built and he told me they are taught they (the police) to be in control, and guns are control. They should be the only armed people and they need to take as many guns off the street as possible.
I asked so if that means taking my only way to protect my family what would you do?
"Take it, that way it's not pointed at me"

But it's not pointed at you, didn't you swear to uphold the constitution?

"Yeah, but......"

But what, you will violate your oath? That tells me you have no credibility as a law enforcment officer.

"Well, your not a cop, you don't understand"

How do you know I'm not or don't understand? There are 40 states that have shall issue laws. In those states crime has plummeted and the armed citizens are an asset to Law Enforcment. We are not the enemies, you know who they are, and I ain't it.

"I see your point, looks like I should do some reading."

Cool bro, stay safe and remember, not everybody is a criminal.

resident-shooter
01-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Being retired LEO this surprises me BUT the fact that this "chief" is just outside of Berkley doesn't surprise me either. No offense to those of you from that area that actually have brains.

Seems to be a super lib city appointed chief that is bending over for his city council. Take his gun away after he retires or allow him to only carry on duty in a patrol car and he'd be the first one to cry about it.

I can only agree. The last time I went to Berkeley (Only went there twice), I was just shocked by the wicked crowd of hippies, emos, prostitutes, etc etc etc.

I would not even call him a public servant tho.

MontClaire
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
People of CA need more control of police chiefs.;)

wildhawker
01-23-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.cpcaconference.com/

Feb 23 - March 3, 2011 at Disneyland.

jtmkinsd
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM

How appropriate

N6ATF
01-24-2011, 1:16 AM
It is a fantastic victim disarmament zone, but unlikely to be the site of a massacre that week because
1) The attendees will likely be exempt as LEOs and be able to carry
2) Why would criminals kill their friends?

battleship
01-24-2011, 1:43 AM
So the path to a safe society is to go after law abiding citizens, clearly this police chief and any like him needs to go back to school for some one on one on just what a criminal is and what they should do about it.

How do poeple like this rise through the ranks.

Every time the issue of guns comes up they never target criminals instead they look for the most simple target you and i.

Because we are much easy to deal with and its seen to be doing somthing when actually it has nothing but a negative effect on the community.

Boy, crimnals must love this in-effective attitude, to me its just completely down to being Lazy.

pitchbaby
01-24-2011, 1:52 AM
Drat. Meeting is in Anaheim. I was going to ask if I could come help with the booth.

It's even on a couple of days I could take off in a town where I have family... but the drive.... UGH! I may just have to smile and wave from my house on this one. I'd fly... but biz hasn't exactly been the best lately and I would rather give extra funds to CGF rather than pay airfare... LOL!

stix213
01-24-2011, 9:28 AM
Stupid bill of rights always getting in the way of police work....

Dr Rockso
01-24-2011, 9:40 AM
The fact that Ken James works in a taxpayer-funded occupation, which he likes to use as a platform for his own personal views, makes me think that sooner or later he's going to get b-slapped for doing something unkosher with taxpayer money (if he hasn't already).

The Shadow
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Ken James sounds and looks like a little man with a Napoleon complex. I don't think he wants greater control, but I do think he wants absolute control.

Sutcliffe
01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Most police chiefs dream about shocking crime waves and like the public to be frightened. Fear tends to open up the purse strings.

Ding126
01-24-2011, 3:20 PM
Police Control not Gun Control

Wherryj
01-24-2011, 3:41 PM

Tim

Mr. James' statements seem to apply to ALL guns, even those possessed by the police. If the police have no guns, we as citizens stand a better chance of not running into them either?

Sutcliffe
01-24-2011, 4:37 PM
Actually every tool I own has a purpose. Can't really say the same about many of the tools out there pretending to protect us.

Brickman
01-24-2011, 4:50 PM

Tim

That is just hilarious!

Teacher Sp Ed
01-24-2011, 8:18 PM
For a very good article from the left as to why gun control does not work please read Dan Baum's article in the Jan 20th Huffington Post. Do not know how to cut and paste to this forum

The Shadow
01-24-2011, 8:28 PM

http://www.dizpins.com/archives/images/2005februarypics/wdw_cm_police_011005.jpg

Maybe if I wear one of these badges, I'll be able to crash the party.

scarville
01-24-2011, 8:37 PM
This is politics and you have to be seen as "doing something". The smart politician picks a course of action that lets him blame somone else for any failure. If he advocates for more victim disarmament and it fails he can blame the NRA.