PDA

View Full Version : Q re: RAW/AOW/Trust

RP1911
01-23-2011, 3:46 PM
Not that I am interested in doing this but in reading a website, is it possible for a CA RAW be LEGALLY manufactured to an AOW and then held by a trust?

freonr22
01-23-2011, 3:48 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

maybe some good reading for you

CSACANNONEER
01-23-2011, 3:51 PM
The quick answer is it's possible with SOME AWs but not all.

RP1911
01-23-2011, 3:54 PM
Thanks, I read that a while ago. May have to read it again in case I missed the response to my specific question. There is a reason why I asked but I won't divuldge it now until I get a definitive understanding.

RP1911
01-23-2011, 3:57 PM
The quick answer is it's possible with SOME AWs but not all.

How about named (Robert-Roos) AWs?

ke6guj
01-23-2011, 4:01 PM
well, the only RAW you'd be able to convert into an AOW would be a RAW pistol, so remember that first.

And secondly, if you wanted to do it on a trust, you'd have to transfer ownership of the RAW to the trust, and that would probably run afoul of the RAW registration. So, you'd probably have to do the Form 1 in your name, and you'd need CLEO sign-off for that. so, unless you think you can get sign-off from the Sheriff, Chief of Police, DA, a judge, or someone else acceptable to ATF, you wouldn't be able to do it.

RP1911
01-23-2011, 4:12 PM
Thanks Jack:

The first sentence resolved part of my question. I have a rifle so the question I raised won't apply to my thought.

Here's what I was thinking. Since a RAW is not transferrable to an heir unless a trust was established before registration, I was wondering if an AOW from a RAW held by a trust would bypass the inability to transfer RAW to heirs.

Is a CLEO signoff needed for a trust? I thought it was for form 1 and having a trust did not require cleo signoff for form 1? Like I said I need to re-read the thread.

ke6guj
01-23-2011, 4:46 PM
Thanks Jack:

The first sentence resolved part of my question. I have a rifle so the question I raised won't apply to my thought.

Here's what I was thinking. Since a RAW is not transferrable to an heir unless a trust was established before registration, I was wondering if an AOW from a RAW held by a trust would bypass the inability to transfer RAW to heirs.only if you converted it from an RAW (removed evil features, went fixed-mag, etc. And no named models), notified CADOJ that it was no longer a RAW, and then converted into an AOW, then it would be able to added to a trust.

Is a CLEO signoff needed for a trust? I thought it was for form 1 and having a trust did not require cleo signoff for form 1? Like I said I need to re-read the thread.no, a trust is a legal-entitiy, not a physical person, and as such there is no need for CLEO sign-off, fingerpirnts, or photos. That woudl be for a Form 1 or a Form 4.

RP1911
01-23-2011, 4:56 PM
Thanks. Back to the drawing board.

bwiese
01-23-2011, 6:18 PM
RP1911...

Unsure of your phrasing, but if you were thinking of using a trust to get an RAW - no, that won't work.

And RAWs can indeed be transferred to heirs, just not in California ;-)
The heir can indeed be a CA resident, but the RAW would have to be stored in a free state. The gun would not have to be run thru an FFL given that Fed law allows inherited/bequeathed guns to transfer directly without use of an FFL - so California dad could leave RAW to California Junior in Reno. (The executor would have 90 days to move the gun outside CA.)

RP1911
01-23-2011, 6:43 PM
Bill:

No, I already have a RAW (rifle - AR). The thought, if it could be done legally, was to convert to AOW with a trust. Then the AOW can be transferred to an heir. Otherwise RAW gets shipped out of state upon my death unless the entire family has moved out of state.