PDA

View Full Version : I love my M1 garand

bballwizard05
01-23-2011, 2:11 PM
I thought my first rifle I ever bought would hold a place in my heart (saiga .223) i liked it but didnt love it.

My first handgun (ruger p-95) i really like and wont ever sell, but i dont love it.

Even my 10/22 that i co-own with my pops I will obviously never sell, and i like it but i dont love it.

But i've had my M1 for about 2 months... i've shot it minimally (can't afford to shoot much at all right now) but I have to say I truly love it. There are many factors:

-the reciever is from 1942 meaning it saw action in WWII. I have had a long time passion for the study of WWII and an even deeper respect and admiration for any combat vets and in a way I see my rifle as a "combat vet". Although it is a pieced together rifle, and the reciever I'm sure has been refinished at some point in its life... at its core it was there somewhere defending this country and I think that is why I love it so much. Also the raw badassery of shooting 30-06 in a semi-auto platform with its buttery smooth action just made me smile uncontrolably. I'm poor and need money and STILL can't get myself to sell it. Ive strip cleaned it once, and field stripped it multiple times plus oiled and fixed up the stock. It's a beautiful piece of American History and I just dont think i can ever get rid of it.

Anyone else have such an affection for their M1 or any other gun?

Disclaimer: I also love my dads single shot rem .22 bolt action that he got when he was 12, but its not mine (yet, and hopefully not for a long time if you get my drift) but I'll love that one too

dunndeal
01-23-2011, 2:22 PM
I carried one during basic training at Fort Ord, Yeah, I know I'm dating myself but it truly is a remarkable weapon. I lusted after one at a recent visit to Cabelas in Boomtown.

CSDGuy
01-23-2011, 2:39 PM
I also have a Garand. It's clearly my favorite big bore rifle. Mine's a very-much post Korea, a late 6 mil that was built into a match rifle. I'm still working up a good load that is matched to my rifle specifically... I'm still learning how to shoot my rifle, and it's still more accurate than I am. I have a sneaking suspicion that my rifle can SHOOT much better than the average. Of course, I didn't buy it to admire it. I bought it to shoot it.

I do have a great affectation for my Garand... but I think I have room in my heart for more than one favorite. ;)

Vanguard
01-23-2011, 2:41 PM
My Garand is my favorite rifle too. Accurate as hell with irons.

The Garand wouldn't be my go-to rifle in a pinch but it's a hell of gun.

Full Clip
01-23-2011, 2:43 PM
My Garand is a Korea-era rifle, but I still love it.
I'm well stocked up on 30-06 but need the time to get to the range!

RudyN
01-23-2011, 2:44 PM
I think my M1 Garand it great! I really enjoy shooting it. Mine was made in February of 1943 and stil has some of the earlier parts on it.

Reductio
01-23-2011, 2:58 PM
Heck yes, I can only afford a few enblocs when I get to the range, but there's nothing quite like it. I've got a very late HRA service grade, with the original walnut stock, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, it's not a warbird, but there's something about shooting it....

Besides, it attracts more attention than the AR does at the range from the old guys. :)

bballwizard05
01-23-2011, 3:12 PM
Heck yes, I can only afford a few enblocs when I get to the range, but there's nothing quite like it. I've got a very late HRA service grade, with the original walnut stock, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, it's not a warbird, but there's something about shooting it....

Besides, it attracts more attention than the AR does at the range from the old guys. :)

It would MAKE MY DAY if a war vet or servicemen who use or trained on one wanted to come up and shoot mine. To let someone re-connect with their carried weapon would make my week.

cannon
01-23-2011, 3:53 PM
I love my DCM H&R Garand. It's my favorite rifle. It's just pure pleasure to shoot.

It came from the DCM with a NM barrel and when I opened the compartment in the stock. An oiler and a tool fell out.

magsnubby
01-23-2011, 3:54 PM
I've never been much of a rifle guy but i love my Garand (Springfield). I bought it from CMP several years ago after shooting a friends Garand. It's dated late 1942. I've always wondered if it saw any action.

I also have several of my dad's guns. A S&W M&P .38 special he bought used in 1941 and a J.C. Higgins model 88 he bought new back in the 50's are two that i will never sell. I hope to pass them down to my grand son one day.

Jonathan Doe
01-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Anyone else have such an affection for their M1 or any other gun?

I was trained with M-1 Garands in high school. I learned close quarter combat with bayonet attached, and learned assembly and disassembly, and so on. But, I love my M-1A's.

xr650r
01-23-2011, 6:25 PM
I recently purchased a Winfield (Winchester with basically all Springfield parts).

I can see why you guys love these guns. There's quite a bit of history behind them and they're solid as an anvil!

I'm saving some coins for a more parts accurate garand. I think I have the bug!

GWbiker
01-23-2011, 7:31 PM
Two weeks out of high school graduation and I'm on a troop train to Ft Knox Ky for basic training. A couple of weeks later I was handed an M1 Garand and a dozen cases of 30.06 ball ammo and was told - "have fun kid". We qualified at up to and including 500 yards with peep sights.

An amazing battle rifle. 10.5 lbs heavy. Only an 8 round clip. A ***** to clean. But a great weapon to reach out and touch someone.

ALEX310
01-23-2011, 7:37 PM
I love my Winchester M1 Garand. Been owning one for the past 3 years and let me tell u. It's pricy to shoot but accurate and always reliable. I've taken mines a few times hunting *** well fo th past season and was success full in buck at 150-200 yards just with sights alone. I have all original sling,G.I cleaning kit. I love it.

Wnick308
01-23-2011, 8:19 PM
My Winchester M1 is a great rifle. Very accurate, tuff and, one of the greatest rifles in my opinion. The 30-06 is a great round with good history behind it and is fun to shoot and show off.

Dr. Pepper
01-23-2011, 9:09 PM
I have 1944 Garand, and I am pretty sure that it saw some service. It shoots great; it groups well, and I make hits at 300 yards consistently. It's a battle-hardened beauty; easily my favorite rifle.

rojocorsa
01-23-2011, 9:16 PM
So I shot one once, (it was actually Dr. Pepper's)

And that's all it took for me to say, damn, fine rifle. Fine rifle indeed.

Dr. Pepper
01-24-2011, 4:46 PM
you forgot about Adam's garand.....that one came first.

SanPedroShooter
01-24-2011, 5:36 PM
I just got my H&R post Korea Garand from the CMP and yes, it is way more accurate than I am with irons. An incredible rifle, a real rifleman's rifle. After shooting wasr's, sks's and mosins, I am very impressed. This is no CAI import junker. Although i like those guns too and they have their place.
In boot we used de-milled Garands for manual of arms/close order drill, which i now do in the living room with my wife calling commands... well, maybe not...
I also learned (or am learning) to reload 30-06.
Springfield Armory page at nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/spar/historyculture/john-garand.htm

Do You Have Your CMP M1?

Nodda Duma
01-24-2011, 5:47 PM
The problem is that I have to save up to buy three more so that I can give one each to my kids when they are old enough. ... and still have one for myself to shoot. Of all the firearms in my collection, that is the only one I'll do that for.

It is a damned fine rifle.

-Jason

cheekybstrd
01-24-2011, 7:00 PM
So i have a quetion and i think im in the right spot as far as the type of gun goes but i couldnt find any threads specifically about reloading for the my m1. i've owned my garand for about 4 months now and have done a lot of researching on way types of powders, bullets and primers to use, but i was curious... if i were to buy new brass instead of recycled brass how big of an effect if any it would have on the rifle.

as_rocketman
01-24-2011, 7:06 PM
1954 HRA from the CMP. It's the only rifle I own that has a name. Don't ask me why, that's just how it worked out.

The one thing that I can put my fingers on is that it has the BEST stock irons I've ever used. My eyesight is just not good enough anymore to see a 4 MOA square while focused on the front sight -- except with the Garand. For whatever reason, it just works.

G38xOC
01-24-2011, 7:20 PM
went to rifle range for the 1st time , this guy had one next to us . damm that thing was loud .

Dr. Pepper
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I mostly shoot milsurps, so I don't notice how loud they are anymore.....:cool:

Nodda Duma
01-25-2011, 2:21 PM
So i have a quetion and i think im in the right spot as far as the type of gun goes but i couldnt find any threads specifically about reloading for the my m1. i've owned my garand for about 4 months now and have done a lot of researching on way types of powders, bullets and primers to use, but i was curious... if i were to buy new brass instead of recycled brass how big of an effect if any it would have on the rifle.

You'd get, on average, one extra shot out of each case. Costs are roughly the same for that first shot as it is for buying ammo.

That's why you buy a spam can of Greek M2 Ball from the CMP and reuse that brass after you shoot it up. Saves you the labor of loading the first set yourself.

-Jason

SanPedroShooter
01-25-2011, 5:00 PM
and apparently its Garand, rhymes with "errand"..... I always laughed at the europeans I heard pronouncing it that way, but i guess they were right.

yelohamr
01-25-2011, 5:47 PM
May be more available. I hope. http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20110119/SPORTS/101190358/Dave+Henderson+outdoors++U.S.+may+reconsider+ban+o n+importing+WW+II+rifles

mur
01-25-2011, 5:53 PM
But i've had my M1 for about 2 months... i've shot it minimally (can't afford to shoot much at all right now) but I have to say I truly love it.

Welcome to the disease:D

rob1105
01-25-2011, 6:40 PM
Yes I too love my M1. Got mine last year from the CMP A 58xxxxxx Service Grade Springfield wich looks unissued

Trench Broom
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Definetly my favorite rifle. I've got a mixmaster, but boy, can that thing mow the lawn! :D

NRAhighpowershooter
01-26-2011, 9:56 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/highpowershooter/Miscalanious%20Stuff/GarandSticker.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/highpowershooter/Garands/poster97189916.jpg

yup.. don't like 'em one bit.... :p:D;)

tazmanian devil dog
01-26-2011, 5:22 PM
I am in lust with my HRA M1!!!

Dr. Pepper
01-26-2011, 7:56 PM
I feel the need to pull mine out every time i look at this thread.:D By the way, where do i get one of those stickers?......

SickofSoCal
01-26-2011, 8:30 PM
I'll take what you wrote a step farther:

I just love old (btw, "old" = 1960 or earlier) American-made guns.

No rubber, no plastic, no polymer, no cheesy scopes, no cheap metal parts.

Solid. Heavy. Tough. Iron sights. Lot's of powder behind the ball. Dependable. Personality. Character. Value.

These are what real guns are all about. Think of these old guns that are 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 , 100 + years old, and how reliable many of them still are. What about the guns of today? Will they be around in good functional condition in 60 or 80 years? Well, will they?

My brother owns a Colt 1903 hammerless from 1917. It is the oldest, most reliable, and funnest gun to shoot in his collection. I love it.

1941 Winchester Model 94:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/WIn1.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/Win2.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/Win3.jpg

1944 M1 Carbine:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/m1.jpg

All too often I feel that the younger generation's (my generation) tastes leave much to be desired. There is a whole out there that you are missing friends.

Pred@tor
01-27-2011, 3:00 AM
I'll take what you wrote a step farther:

I just love old (btw, "old" = 1960 or earlier) American-made guns.

No rubber, no plastic, no polymer, no cheesy scopes, no cheap metal parts.

Solid. Heavy. Tough. Iron sights. Lot's of powder behind the ball. Dependable. Personality. Character. Value.

These are what real guns are all about. Think of these old guns that are 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 , 100 + years old, and how reliable many of them still are. What about the guns of today? Will they be around in good functional condition in 60 or 80 years? Well, will they?

My brother owns a Colt 1903 hammerless from 1917. It is the oldest, most reliable, and funnest gun to shoot in his collection. I love it.

1941 Winchester Model 94:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/WIn1.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/Win2.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/Win3.jpg

1944 M1 Carbine:
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l624/TheRealDeJureTour/m1.jpg

All too often I feel that the younger generation's (my generation) tastes leave much to be desired. There is a whole out there that you are missing friends.

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/predatory2k/colt%20pocket%20pistol/

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/predatory2k/colt%20pocket%20pistol/1908002.jpg

Heres mine made in 1921-22 its a 1908 colt pocket pistol in .380 I haven't shot it yet but it has to be my favorite handgun I own. The old guns were made well for sure my old man has a pre 64 Winchester and I foget the model but its nice. I also have a HMC Quality M1 carbine. My Old Man's garand is fun to shoot! Gotta love the classics for sure and the quality is second to none!

SickofSoCal
01-27-2011, 3:24 PM
http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/predatory2k/colt%20pocket%20pistol/

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/predatory2k/colt%20pocket%20pistol/1908002.jpg

Heres mine made in 1921-22 its a 1908 colt pocket pistol in .380 I haven't shot it yet but it has to be my favorite handgun I own. The old guns were made well for sure my old man has a pre 64 Winchester and I foget the model but its nice. I also have a HMC Quality M1 carbine. My Old Man's garand is fun to shoot! Gotta love the classics for sure and the quality is second to none!

Yes! That is a beautiful piece of machinery right there, wish I had one. :-)

Pred@tor
01-27-2011, 4:09 PM
Yes! That is a beautiful piece of machinery right there, wish I had one. :-)

You can get 1903s and 1908s off gunbroker... 300 to a 1k is the price range these days. I see 1908s in ugly condition and these jokers want 600+ for them... lol Mine is in way better shape than theirs.

SickofSoCal
01-27-2011, 8:09 PM
You can get 1903s and 1908s off gunbroker... 300 to a 1k is the price range these days. I see 1908s in ugly condition and these jokers want 600+ for them... lol Mine is in way better shape than theirs.

I know exactly what you mean, I was checking out prices last year. If it is in good condition, $800+ is reasonable, if not, take a hike!

The internet is a curse in this regard.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-27-2011, 8:47 PM
where do i get one of those stickers?......

The stickers were made by Rick Boreckey from the CSP site about 6-7 yrs ago. I haven't seen him offer them in that long either...:(

Dr. Pepper
01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
The stickers were made by Rick Boreckey from the CSP site about 6-7 yrs ago. I haven't seen him offer them in that long either...:(

D**n, I would have liked one of those.....

oddjob
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I love my two Garands (so do my kids). What I find interesting is that my Garands are more reliable than the black rifles I have. Must be in the design/tolerances. My Garands are in 30-06 and 7.62. The 06 is my favorite of the two. I would not have a problem of my .06 Garand being my "go to" rifle. I am also a "metal and wood" type weapons guy.

ArtsyFartsy
01-29-2011, 5:35 PM
I've always wanted an M1 Garand. If it was the only rifle I'd ever own, I'd be completely content with that. So when my uncle called me and said he was selling some, I jumped at the opportunity and he sold me his rifle and some ammo. He showed me how to clean it, take it apart, and clean the wood. It's a 1945 Springfield, and had a paper with writing left in the front stock in Greek explaining how to use the rear iron sights to compensate for wind. I love this rifle, and I wouldn't mind owning another.

EDIT: I just found out that it's Danish, not Greek! Interesting. And it actually shows how to adjust the sights for shooting at 300 yards. Neat!