PDA

View Full Version : Where's your safe?

Blue
08-22-2006, 5:52 PM
I'm looking into buying a bigger safe, but can't find a good place to put it! It wont fit in the closet, or down in the basement.The only two places I can think of is to put it in the living room or kitchen :confused: I'd like to put it in the kitchen because I clean all my guns on the dinner table so I wouldn't have to walk too far :D Living in a cracker box sucks. I'd rather put it in the kitchen because in the living room it'd be the first thing people that I don't know see when I answer the door. Is there anything wrong with putting it in the kitchen? There's a little breakfast nook type thing where this safe I'm looking at buying would fit perfectly and not interfere with everyday life. And how do I convince my wife to let me put it there? :o

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 5:54 PM
Bedroom. :)

SemiAutoSam
08-22-2006, 5:56 PM
Main safe in sub basement out of main traffic area, others in various walls and hidden rooms.

Blue
08-22-2006, 6:02 PM
I wish I could get this safe in the bedroom...too much furniture and a huge new bed....hmm.....

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:07 PM
I wish I could get this safe in the bedroom...too much furniture and a huge new bed....hmm.....

Tell her you have to use the safe to correct a slant in the floor.

xrMike
08-22-2006, 6:51 PM
Main safe in sub basement out of main traffic area, others in various walls and hidden rooms.Heheheh... :D

The SoCal Gunner
08-22-2006, 7:15 PM
I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya...

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 7:19 PM
Main safe in sub basement out of main traffic area, others in various walls and hidden rooms.
The more I hear about your "fortress" (thats what I'll call it) the more curious I become... :cool:

SemiAutoSam
08-22-2006, 7:56 PM
Un huh Its partially underground mostly built with ocean shipping containers.

And large wood beams serve as reinforcement and support beams.

Key thinking = what isn't visible to the eye will not be investigated or sought out.

Vigilante
08-22-2006, 9:06 PM
Is there anything wrong with putting it in the kitchen?
Yes. If there isn't proper ventilation in the kitchen water vapor from your sink and or dishwasher can cause your guns to rust. Trust me, mine's right next to a poorly ventilated bathroom.

chris
08-22-2006, 10:48 PM
i have mine in the garage bolted to the floor. but i will need a bigger one soon the one i bought is allready full. dam addictions will get you everytime. you'll never get to either i have an attak labrador who will lick the hell out of you and demand the you play ball with her.

metalhead357
08-23-2006, 12:35 AM
I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya...

Amen!

I get the point to the thread but me-thinks it woulda been better put (by you) "Where would you put MY safe":p

Mount the safe flat on the ground under the big bed in the bedroom~ and a spring under the bed to raise the bed up....that'd shut up just about all of the noisy SO's out there!!!!;) ((Dont tell I said Thhhhhaaaat part!))

Ok, on a serious note now, Put it somewhere YOU feel it is best suited to the compromise between access and security, a nusaunce and forgotton......... and then you'll be most happy....

Pokey
08-23-2006, 2:52 PM
Nothing wrong with the kitchen (barring the moisture thing brought up before), but I would recommend getting one of the 'fancier' looking ones. With the right color and finish most people assume its an antique and nothing more. Amazing the size of things you can hide in plain sight.

brassburns
08-23-2006, 4:20 PM
Bolted to the floor of the bedroom closet. Nothng fancy, but it works for me.

If and when I get around to remodeling the kitchen and dining room, I was thinking about about making an alcove for hiding a safe in a false pantry. Not sure exactly how to go about doing it, but I'm sure it could be done.

Randy

Liberty Rules
08-23-2006, 9:50 PM
Stuck mine in the bedroom walk in closet. The width was too large for the doorway but that was remedied by sliding it sideways and then turning it once it was in the closet. (Door jam=29"; Safe width=30"; Safe Depth=24") I also had to move Tom Cruise first (a little South Park humor).

If you are putting it indoors and footprint space is a limitation, you should get a 72" tall model. Go vertical. That's what I did. Most safes are only 60 inches tall but lots of the safe companies have tall models or will make you one if you ask.

chiefcrash
08-24-2006, 6:55 AM
eh, i was too lazy to move it, so my safe is in the driveway. it seems to work well...

Apeman88
08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
And how do I convince my wife to let me put it there? :o

Good luck convincing your wife... I tried for 2 months and lost. Originally wanted my safe in the living room and was going to have a custom cabinet guy come out and make a fake cabinet to cover up the safe. Wife said NO... family room?? NO!! Kitchen?? NO!!

So I ended up buying 2 safes... a smaller one in our walk in closet for her stuff... and a larger on in the guest room closet for my toys.

My Canon C23 would not fit right in the guest room closet... I had to get out the recipropcating saw to cut part of the closet frame and remove the drywall in the back just to get 3/4" more clearance. Safe still sticks out a little... now gonna build a new frame around the old closet frame.

My wife rather see all these being done than a "big old metal box" (as she puts in) in plain sight. Go figure.

Ken

ivanimal
08-26-2006, 11:50 PM
I love my Garage, I love my Garage, I love my Garage.

8 years ago when we moved from the penninsula we went out looking for houses, my only request was a 3 car garage. We found a crapload of nice houses with 2 car garages but I stood firm. Since I practically live there I am so glad I did. My wife would sooner cut me in half than allow a safe in the Kitchen. Good luck to you, my wife never even noticed the newest safe in the garage.:D

guns_and_labs
08-27-2006, 8:02 PM
The big one in a "gun room" off the garage, medium sized (disguised) one in the furnace room, two small ones in the bedrooms, and one -- well, let's not mention where that one is.

The SoCal Gunner
08-28-2006, 1:26 PM
Honestly, I do not have one yet but it is next on my list. Don't really know where to put it because I don't have my own home yet. I don't mind having it at my parent's home because I may move back in after school, or will not own my own home for quite a long time, but I won't always be there and I like to have my weapons close by.

Charliegone
08-28-2006, 3:50 PM
Hmm now I know why most of our clients (I work in Architecture) want their own separate WIC (Walk In Closets for those that don't know.:D ) Mines in my closet ....and in the hall somewhere.:D

TonyM
08-28-2006, 5:06 PM
I recently bought a bigger safe to replace the one that was in my office. All the guns are in the safe in the office. My older one has been moved out to the garage and is full of ammo.

The wife would never let me put one in the Kitchen, but she almost allowed it in the bedroom because they were nice looking, as long as I didn't get the one with the Elk or Deer on the front (Browning). No problem for me, I got both with just the Scroll, then removed it promptly after delivery.

Satex
08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I would not put a safe in the living room, kitchen, or garage. Safes should be in a place out of sight. The least people know about them, the less someone will think there is something worth while to break in for. Bedroom closet is probably the best place for it.

50 Freak
08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I put mine in the maid's quarters. That way if the wifee is wondering why I spend so much time in the maid's room late at night, I just say "I was buffying my rifle".

Works every time.:D :D

zatoh
08-30-2006, 6:58 AM
Un huh Its partially underground mostly built with ocean shipping containers.

And large wood beams serve as reinforcement and support beams.

Key thinking = what isn't visible to the eye will not be investigated or sought out.
I like it! I'd love to do the same thing with those conex containers.

.... and as far as my safes are concerned they are in our cluttered bonus room. One is covered with a curtain and is suprisingly unnoticable. I would love a basement but here in SoCal they are few and far between.

Bobshouse
09-02-2006, 9:49 AM
I put mine in the maid's quarters. That way if the wifee is wondering why I spend so much time in the maid's room late at night, I just say "I was buffying my rifle".

You actually let the help live in the main house? EEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!! How unrefined! You must be new money.

Bob

SemiAutoSam
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Just so you dont confuse which is your rifle and which is your gun.

And where you put you gun!!

easy
09-03-2006, 4:07 PM
Friend of mine put his in the garage, then cinder blocked, rebared and filled with cement all around it. You'd need a cat to yank it out. He also put the torch head in it when he leaves the house. No sense leaving the access tools out for the bad guys.

Nefarious
09-04-2006, 5:03 AM
At one of my properties I keep the safe in a spare room - its my gun, computer, escape the woman room :D - that room is normally locked, and I dont usually have people in and out of there. I use it more as my personal space.

Im thining in buying another safe for where I am at now - except am having difficutly in deciding where I would like it placed. The rooms are gong to be off limits, my bedroom does not have a door that closes off the bathroom (fills the room with alot of moisture when taking a shower), living room is not going to happen either. The only real place would be the garage - which faces west .. so man it gets nasty hot in there. I dont think its too humid, but Im still a little uncomfortable with storing them in there

xrMike
09-05-2006, 8:50 AM
I would not put a safe in the living room, kitchen, or garage. Safes should be in a place out of sight. The least people know about them, the less someone will think there is something worth while to break in for. Bedroom closet is probably the best place for it.I came to the same conclusion, and therefore did the same thing with mine.

radioactivelego
09-05-2006, 9:49 PM
I would not put a safe in the living room, kitchen, or garage. Safes should be in a place out of sight. The least people know about them, the less someone will think there is something worth while to break in for. Bedroom closet is probably the best place for it.There are two places you look for valuables when you are finally in a house: the living room and the bedroom.

metalhead357
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
There are two places you look for valuables when you are finally in a house: the living room and the bedroom.

Soooo true! But not everybody has the room for a full size dummy safe filled with bricks to keep in the bedroom:p But yep, put it in someplace least likely to be looked past....... like a hidden panel behind the misses' "aunt Flow" favorite resting place:eek: Aint EVER heard of a crook looking behind the girlie-girl stuffs......but hey. just a warning, your stocks might start smelling april fresh:cool: