PDA

View Full Version : True or False... please help!

omtay606
08-22-2006, 6:51 PM
I have a POST '94 AR rifle. I registered it in '00. It is registered with the CA DOJ as an "assault weapon" and I have the confirmation letter.

I spoke w/ a local gun store and they told me that so long as it is registered, I am able to put all the pre '94 stuff (collapsable stock, flash hider...) on it now since the '94 ban is no longer in effect?

What do you guys think? Is this true or false?

Thanks

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:53 PM
This is correct. The FEDERAL AWB no longer applies to your rifle.

Because it's registered in CA as an AW, you aren't constrained in feature changes on it, provided you don't go putting a less-than-16" barrel on it, or making its overall length less than 30". Federally speaking, you still can't make it full auto or attach a suppressor without paperwork, and CA won't let you do that period.

But - yep, have fun with the features you can use on your rifle now!

Ubergeek
08-22-2006, 6:55 PM
I have a POST '94 AR rifle. I registered it in '00. It is registered with the CA DOJ as an "assault weapon" and I have the confirmation letter.

I spoke w/ a local gun store and they told me that so long as it is registered, I am able to put all the pre '94 stuff (collapsable stock, flash hider...) on it now since the '94 ban is no longer in effect?

What do you guys think? Is this true or false?

Thanks

Knock yourself out - it's registered. The federal ban prohibited post '94 rifles from having anything more than 1 bad feature, however in the eyes of CA DOJ - an 'assault weapon' is anything that has 1 or more bad features.

hitnrun
08-22-2006, 6:56 PM
Uhh....TRUE!!!:D

bu-bye
08-22-2006, 8:09 PM
FALSE!!!!!!
JK:D its all legal, knock yourself out;)

Pthfndr
08-22-2006, 8:23 PM
I spoke w/ a local gun store.....

Dang! A gun store that gave out correct information about AWs. :eek:

What's the world coming to?

DRH
08-22-2006, 8:25 PM
Because it's registered in CA as an AW, you aren't constrained in feature changes on it, provided you don't go putting a less-than-16" barrel on it, or making its overall length less than 30". Federally speaking, you still can't make it full auto or attach a suppressor without paperwork, and CA won't let you do that period.

The Federal length limit is a 26" minimum. The 30" length limit is for Californian non assault weapons. As everyone has said deck it out with evil features.:D

omtay606
08-22-2006, 9:04 PM
WOW, this is too good to be true...!!! I really don't know what to do with myself now...too many options.

Boomer1961
08-22-2006, 9:09 PM
The Federal length limit is a 26" minimum. The 30" length limit is for Californian non assault weapons. As everyone has said deck it out with evil features.:D

Wow I was going to do this correction but you beat me to it.

If true then I would have like 4 or 5 illegal but properly registered contraptions (I refuse to call them assault weapons as that is Orwellian double speak from the gun grabbers who do not know what an assualt weapon is nor can read my mind if I intend to do any assaulting with my firearm!).

Lets just say they are firearms that have been smeared by the gun grabbers with a label that sounds threatening and evil to justify using the US Constitution to wipe their behinds with.

GOOD LUCK!

grammaton76
08-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Heh, strangely enough I just caught that myself this evening while researching a gunwiki article. I was going to fix it, but you guys beat me to it. Good catch.

Side note, it seems that 26" is also the minimum legal length for an bolt-action underfolding AK, and/or a rimfire rifle... ;)