PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Compensator/Brake

FUSE
08-22-2006, 6:34 PM
Hey guys I picked up a Muzzle brake at the gun show, and it came with the crush washer. I have a kel-tec su-16ca and am wondering which way the crush washer should face and how many pounds of torque I should apply? I called 2 diff gunsmithing shops in Ca to see if a pro could do it for me and no one seems to even want to touch a kel-tec why is that? Any way it seems pretty straight forward to do myself but it would be nice to hear some input before I start, any help is appreciated thanks!

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:47 PM
Hey guys I picked up a Muzzle brake at the gun show, and it came with the crush washer. I have a kel-tec su-16ca and am wondering which way the crush washer should face and how many pounds of torque I should apply? I called 2 diff gunsmithing shops in Ca to see if a pro could do it for me and no one seems to even want to touch a kel-tec why is that? Any way it seems pretty straight forward to do myself but it would be nice to hear some input before I start, any help is appreciated thanks!

No idea how much force should be applied. I know it took a fair amount on my SU-16CA, but I have no idea what it would be in pounds.

Myself, I put the bottom of the crush washer's "V" pointing towards the barrel. The brake is going to be larger than your barrel, and going the opposite way I would imagine may not cooperate with the barrel.

But that does bring up that I'm not 100% sure myself which way it should face - just, this is the way I put it on.

donger
08-22-2006, 7:28 PM
I believe it does not matter which direction the crush washer is installed.

I also hand tightened the brakes I have installed. Too much torque will mess up the barrel. That said I tightened the brakes with a lot of force to make sure it wouldn't loosen. Also, a bit of blue loctite will lock it into place.

FUSE
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Cool thank you guys for your input! I'll snap some pics as soon as I get a new sight!