PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes

DirtyDan
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello Calgunners! I just purchased a springfield XD and a remington 870 from a friend of mine. We will be doing the transfer in about a week. However, I would like to purchase a small safe for these two only so I can have quick access to them in the house if needed. Does it need to be CaDoj approved, do I have to show proof at the time of transfer or does this only concern gun locks. Does anyone know the link to the list of approved safes by the Doj. Thanks for your help in advance!

Boomer...
01-23-2011, 1:53 PM
Perhaps read #4, 5 & 6 below:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab106faqs.php

You'll likely be asked by the FFL, the make and capacity of your storage device. I've been able to simply state (truthfully) of ownership of suitable storage device(s) at time of signing affidavit. I've never been asked to show a receipt, but have shown a camera photo of my cabinet inside a closet. http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/dsearch2.asp

Baconator
01-23-2011, 1:54 PM
I had to know the model number of my safe when they asked at Ammo Bros.

Cokebottle
01-23-2011, 2:18 PM
Perhaps read #4, 5 & 6 below:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab106faqs.php

You'll likely be asked by the FFL, the make and capacity of your storage device. I've been able to simply state (truthfully) of ownership of suitable storage device(s) at time of signing affidavit. I've never been asked to show a receipt, but have shown a camera photo of my cabinet inside a closet. http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/dsearch2.asp
Handgun doesn't matter.
BATFE does not accept the California Safe Affidavit. He must have a locking device when he picks it up.

On the safe affidavit, there are two boxes that may be checked.
One box is for a CA Approved safe. That would be listed by make and model.
The 2nd box is "by feature". If you have a safe that meets all of the listed requirements, you can use that section whether your safe is listed with the DOJ or not.
Many FFLs won't want to deal with the "by feature" option.

sherm2954
01-23-2011, 6:29 PM
All good advice...except the glaringly obvious...you state:
I would like to purchase a small safe for these two only

don't fool yourself...I bought a 24 gun safe that was "way bigger than I'll ever need"...now I need another safe! Go Big!!! You'll have every valuable document, hard drive, jewelry, etc in that thing before you know it....

tozan
01-23-2011, 7:38 PM
So are you guys saying if you own a gun you have to own a safe?

DirtyDan
01-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I plan on getting a large safe for the garage because my house does not have a lot of room for a large safe. But a small safe I can fit in my closet will suit my needs fine. Mostly likely it will be a 14 gun safe size from the ones I've seen. If any of you have any suggestions of a quality one I'd like to hear it. Also, is it me or is Liberty not on the CaDoj list? Thanks again for the help.

Cokebottle
01-23-2011, 7:58 PM
So are you guys saying if you own a gun you have to own a safe?
It's a great idea, but it's not a legal requirement.

How much do you trust your kids/family/friends?

All it takes is one person to make a comment to the wrong person about your collection and you become a target.

Cokebottle
01-23-2011, 8:03 PM
Thanks for the info! I plan on getting a large safe for the garage because my house does not have a lot of room for a large safe. But a small safe I can fit in my closet will suit my needs fine. Mostly likely it will be a 14 gun safe size from the ones I've seen. If any of you have any suggestions of a quality one I'd like to hear it. Also, is it me or is Liberty not on the CaDoj list? Thanks again for the help.
Garage is not a good place for a safe.
It is open to view to anyone walking or driving by every time the door is opened, it is very easy to break into, and it is very easy to steal the entire safe.

I've heard stories about golf balls and even ice being used to "roll" safes out of garages and into trailers backed into the driveway.

If the garage is your only option, please consider building it into a cabinet/shelving system so when someone looks into your garage from the street, all they see is a couple of tall wooden cabinets.
One is a real cabinet, the other contains the safe (maybe with shelves for ammo above it).
Never open the safe cabinet with the garage door open.