PDA

View Full Version : question regarding 10 rounds in a magazine

maschronic
08-22-2006, 4:59 PM
i was thinking of purchasing a Para Warthog 45ACP. the magazines are 10+1. I will be applying for a CCW in Orange County in couple of months and i want to get my handgun before i apply.

Now, when it states 10+1....legally, can i put 10 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamer and still be legal? or do i have to put 9 rounds in the magazine and 1 round in the chamber? I do understand that the magazine has to hold a max of 10 rounds. do they count a round in the chamber as a round in the mag??

i hope you understand the questions. thanks.

Mudvayne540ld
08-22-2006, 5:01 PM
IIRC it is legal
The magazine still only holds 10 rounds, so it is not a Hi-Cap.

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 5:08 PM
Previous poster is correct. I personally don't feel safe with a round in the chamber (I don't like to rely on safeties), but your mileage may vary. Nothing illegal about one round in chamber, though.

blkA4alb
08-22-2006, 5:15 PM
As previously said, yes its legal. A round in the chamber isn't a round in the mag is it? :D

maschronic
08-22-2006, 5:27 PM
kewl. thanks.

i do understand that about your feels in putting a round in the chamber. i feel the same too. it was a question i had. Thanks guys for answering them.

ohsmily
08-22-2006, 6:18 PM
I personally don't feel safe with a round in the chamber (I don't like to rely on safeties), but your mileage may vary. Nothing illegal about one round in chamber, though.

Gram, that is the way the 1911 is designed and supposed to be carried. Condition 1 (chambered, hammer back [cocked], safety on [locked]). Thats how peace officers and others carry.

Though, the Israeli military trains its guys to carry unchambered, on any handgun, including double actions....go figure

Fjold
08-22-2006, 6:31 PM
Gram, that is the way the 1911 is designed and supposed to be carried. Condition 1 (chambered, hammer back [cocked], safety on [locked]). Thats how peace officers and others carry.

Though, the Israeli military trains its guys to carry unchambered, on any handgun, including double actions....go figure

In the military the handgun is a back up weapon, used to fight your way to your rifle and therefore doesn't have to be ready to go at all times.

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:39 PM

That is correct. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't carry in that condition, because I don't trust safeties. I'm aware that it presents serious issues in reaction times. And if I were an LEO or whatnot, I would probably view things differently. I'd trust the secondary safety on the 1911's grip far more than I'd trust most safeties, but it's still a mechanical safety that could be defeated by snagging on clothing or whatnot.

As a civilian, the best I could ever hope for would be CCW, and that's not likely to happen as long as I live in San Diego. Whenever Kolender finally leaves, most likely some equally anti-CCW chief will be voted in. But anyway, were I to have a CCW, I wouldn't carry cocked and locked. For one thing, were someone to manage to grab your gun and get your safety off, they're still not likely to think about racking the slide before you can get it back from them. But primarily, the slight added chance of a negligent discharge is enough to make me avoid it. If you have have ONE ND, chances are that you're going to end losing your CCW at the very least.

The Israelis, from what I've read, do the chamber-empty thing for consistency across all the handguns they MAY issue to folks. If the weapon is always stored in that condition, then you never have problems of someone failing to rack the slide because they counted on it being cocked+locked. I don't view that as grounds for me to recommend it, though.

donger
08-22-2006, 6:57 PM
Sorry Gram, but IMHO I think that a handgun should be carried with a round in the chamber. AND, if the pistol is a DA/SA, the gun should be carried chambered in DA with the safety off.

Of course I also believe that a DAO pistol should be carried chambered.

A 1911 should be carried chambered, cocked, and locked.

Any other method and you're seriously putting yourself at risk of losing.

artherd
08-22-2006, 7:00 PM
I like glocks, insufficent energy to discharge a cartrdige even when 'cocked'. (half-cock really.) Pull the trigger though, and it goes bang, nothing to fuss with when fractions of a second might count.

Also, the 9 or 10 round question has been answered before. DOJ (correctly I might add) does not consider the firing chamber of a gun to be part of the magazine. Therefore, 10+1 rounds is a legal configuration.

That said, many weapons with 10 round mags are so tight that when actually loaded 10+1, they MAY NOT FUNCTION/CYCLE PROPERLY... So download to 9+1.