PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Yotes in high winds.

winxp_man
01-23-2011, 9:23 AM
What's everyones experience hunting Yotes in high winds ? I personally haven't had much luck at all. Went out on 1-22-11 and winds got up to 25 mph with average of 15 mph and only seen one yote that came out after it got dark that was it.

I know that higher winds will cammo a hunter smell, the possibility of scaring a yote because of noise and even vision. But the stands are gonna be close quarter combat style because the sound can not travel as far so I guess that unless the yote is near you don't stand much of a chance to call him him from a little further away.

Any input is welcomed!!!

TrailerparkTrash
01-23-2011, 9:55 AM
Pretty much calling/hunting predators in high winds will result with poor results. If the winds are over 10 knots, you can pretty much assume that 9 times outa 10, the hunting will totally suck. Make it a range day instead! :D:D

Im basing my opinion on windy day predator hunting experience when home made mouth callers were the norm, Johnny Stewart was still alive & kickn, and Dennis Kirk was still in junior high. :p:p:p

winxp_man
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Well yesterday was my first time out calling with winds that high and well from the experience ya it sucked really bad :D :D

Big Jake
01-23-2011, 5:30 PM
It sucks hunting anything in the high winds. Many animals stay undercover when it is that windy as they don't like it either!

toby
01-23-2011, 5:57 PM
It can be done, seems to work better at night? I stay in low areas or canyons and call up to the hills, not real productive but it beats siting home......

GlockBlocker
01-23-2011, 6:41 PM
I was out calling this morning. The wind was blowing so hard at times, I could hardly hear my e-caller out at about 40 yards. I'm a noob though so anything I do doesn't feel quite right yet.

winxp_man
01-23-2011, 9:37 PM
Yes it can be done but takes pacients and the will to sit out in the cold. When I went out yesterday we got to the place at about 12 noon. My buddy and I stayed until about 9 pm an called it a day. One way that you will be successful is if you get setup close by a place where the yote is close by. Wind effects how a yote smells hears and sees. Thus making it a easier hunt if one is close by. But I would rather hunt on a nice day and just be extra sneaky.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-24-2011, 2:40 PM
It is a waste of time.

toby
01-24-2011, 3:27 PM
It is a waste of time.

I thought you were a PROFESSIONAL? it's not a waste of time if you choose your area wisely and have patience. The only time it does not work is when the yotes or cat's go up wind or circle you. I have called in quite a few in the wind and the snow, and I suck at this.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-24-2011, 3:31 PM
I did not say I never called a bunch of them in when it was windy but it is far more of a challenge. My first time I ever shot 5 in a day was a 40+mph wind day but they seemed to still come in. For noobs with no stand experience or calling experience I would tell them to just stay home.

tony270
01-24-2011, 3:34 PM
I’d say positive results of calling a coyote in during windy conditions dramatically tail off, not entirely a waste of time if all you have is time.
And as far as bobcats and scent go, even though most of them approach from downwind they depend on sight/movement and sound, if they scent you they don’t spook like coyotes.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-24-2011, 3:38 PM
Coyotes can not scent you very well in high winds. That is why they are less productive during high winds. It is a danger for them to hunt in the winds so most of the time they will stay bedded down.

tony270
01-24-2011, 3:58 PM
In my opinion coyotes find it difficult to directly pinpoint a source in gale force winds, they can find you in 35 MPH winds and have no issue doing so, they can even find you in higher winds if the wind is blowing in one direction. As a matter of fact they can scent you much farther during windy conditions. The coyote is rarely seen during high wind events. That's because he can scent you much farther out and never come in close enough for you to spot him.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-24-2011, 4:12 PM
In higher winds your scent dissipates and becomes scarce at further distances making it nearly impossible to know where the noise you are making is coming from. They will normally just not come in at all in high winds. We have tested this theory by placing cameras far from our calling spot in all directions and have seen very few coyotes even approach our call. Most that do respond come in hard and leave just as fast as soon as they see what is in store for them.

toby
01-24-2011, 5:43 PM
Hey PCH...just raggin on your name...;)

taperxz
01-24-2011, 5:46 PM
It sucks hunting anything in the high winds. Many animals stay undercover when it is that windy as they don't like it either!

I don't think waterfowlers would agree with you very much;)

taperxz
01-24-2011, 5:55 PM
In my opinion coyotes find it difficult to directly pinpoint a source in gale force winds, they can find you in 35 MPH winds and have no issue doing so, they can even find you in higher winds if the wind is blowing in one direction. As a matter of fact they can scent you much farther during windy conditions. The coyote is rarely seen during high wind events. That's because he can scent you much farther out and never come in close enough for you to spot him.

This is not true. If your hunt direction is down wind your fine. Hunters that know go to great lengths to make sure if they are stalking to stay down wind from deer and any other game/nongame is no different. Wind is your friend if you know how to use it. What PCH said is more like it. Animals like humans like to stay out of the wind and venture out.

Sky_DiveR
01-24-2011, 5:56 PM
Hey, at least ya got out. A lousy day of huntin' and fishin' is way better than the best day at work. Good to hear ya got out. What did ya take out ,btw?

winxp_man
01-24-2011, 7:27 PM
I had my S&W model 422 .22, My 6.8 SPC, and my Remington 700 SPS Tac :D
This was out around Indian Valley Reservoir. One thing about this place is when its Close Quarter Combat style and all of a sudden you have to snipe a yote at 4-500 yards out. So I took out all the weapons for what ever the opportunity brings in :D

here are some pics.

This is me with my 6.8 SPC
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/IMG_0495.jpg

This is me with my Remmy 700
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/IMG_0500.jpg

And here I'm checking out the valley down below.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/IMG_0509.jpg

Now here I gave my buddy a rifle so we can both check for any little yote movement we might spot

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/IMG_0515.jpg

winxp_man
01-24-2011, 7:38 PM
Hey, at least ya got out. A lousy day of huntin' and fishin' is way better than the best day at work. Good to hear ya got out. What did ya take out ,btw?

Aint this the truth. A day hunting or fishing is much better than a day at the office even if you have no success :D

Hey Sky_DiveR posted pics :D

Sky_DiveR
01-25-2011, 3:22 PM
Suuuweeeeeet! Was that pics of the same day? I see what ya mean. That's alotta brush to deal with. That valley sure looks sweet tho. Did ya set up a caller or just use hand calls?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-25-2011, 3:33 PM
Nice photos winxp but where are the dogs?

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-25-2011, 3:51 PM
Now here I gave my buddy a rifle so we can both check for any little yote movement we might spot

I hate to bust your balls.............. but
please, please buy some binos. Using your firearm for glassing is one of the most unsafe things you can do in the field. I don't care to hear that it was unloaded, safety, trigger discipline(non-existent in those pics), none of it matters, safety first, and glassing with a rifle scope is unsafe.

I know I'll be flamed for talking crap, but no one, including myself, wants to be "scoped", specially with a finger on the trigger.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-25-2011, 3:59 PM
You have a great point. I just did not want to be that guy.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-25-2011, 4:12 PM
You have a great point. I just did not want to be that guy.

don't worry PCH, you're "that guy" for many other reasons :laugh:

And sorry, the whole glassing with a rifle scope is just too dangerous to leave alone.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-25-2011, 4:14 PM
I agree especially since there is a house down range.

winxp_man
01-25-2011, 4:20 PM
Sky_DiveR yes this was the same day. As for caller I used a electric caller setup.

PCH......... you mean yotes or dog dogs ?

Rusty_Buckhorn there was no one I there to not be safe its the bottom of a partial dried up lake. I know what you mean though and I'm not going to say Oh but the rifle was unloaded, or that I had my finger was off the trigger. Thats my next thing to buy is some binos. One thing I will do my best is to be safe and the guy with the finger on the trigger is my buddy. I still once in a while have to tell him some things here and there. I would ask this about trigger discipline if you dont have it and instead of a deer a person pops out of a bush while hunting a hunter populated area what then what???????? This has happened to me and it didnt even cross my mind to even put my finger near the trigger until I clearly saw whats behind the bush, and go beyond that knowing whats past that bush to. I appreciate your tips though and no pun intended in any kind of way :D

PCH I would say this when it comes so safety you have to be that guy. Nothing worse than hunting accidents............. I have had a pistol and rifle in my hands since I was 12 now I'm 26 and had no accidents and plan to keep it that way, and I greatly appreciate any safety tip that is given.

winxp_man
01-25-2011, 4:22 PM
I agree especially since there is a house down range.

There are no homes down there just a couple of old shacks. Shoot in a few areas there are even some camping trailers that have been left there as trash.

BC9696
01-25-2011, 4:24 PM
I agree but glassing for yotes w/ binos is the best way to get busted I know of.

winxp_man
01-25-2011, 4:26 PM
I agree but glassing for yotes w/ binos is the best way to get busted I know of.

Im not understanding what you mean by this ???

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-25-2011, 4:29 PM
thats great winxp, safety first.

Good glasses with coating don't get you busted. Plus, I'd rather scare off 20 yotes than take the risk of someone hunkered down in the brush taking a 140 grain pill from my 7.

winxp_man
01-25-2011, 4:32 PM
You can always do the honey comb idea on the binos I would guess.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-25-2011, 4:41 PM
Sky_DiveR yes this was the same day. As for caller I used a electric caller setup.

PCH......... you mean yotes or dog dogs ?

Rusty_Buckhorn there was no one I there to not be safe its the bottom of a partial dried up lake. I know what you mean though and I'm not going to say Oh but the rifle was unloaded, or that I had my finger was off the trigger. Thats my next thing to buy is some binos. One thing I will do my best is to be safe and the guy with the finger on the trigger is my buddy. I still once in a while have to tell him some things here and there. I would ask this about trigger discipline if you dont have it and instead of a deer a person pops out of a bush while hunting a hunter populated area what then what???????? This has happened to me and it didnt even cross my mind to even put my finger near the trigger until I clearly saw whats behind the bush, and go beyond that knowing whats past that bush to. I appreciate your tips though and no pun intended in any kind of way :D

PCH I would say this when it comes so safety you have to be that guy. Nothing worse than hunting accidents............. I have had a pistol and rifle in my hands since I was 12 now I'm 26 and had no accidents and plan to keep it that way, and I greatly appreciate any safety tip that is given.

Trust me in the field I would be the first one to put the smack down! I dont play games when it comes to anyones safety.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-25-2011, 4:43 PM

Not true. Just move slow and stay in the shadows. You have just as much chance of getting busted with your scope on your rifle as you do with binos.

Sky_DiveR
01-25-2011, 7:21 PM
You can always do the honey comb idea on the binos I would guess.

You could use some camo netting over the glass, or... steal some of your YL's dark nylon stockings. If you're too chicken for that, then just go to a shoe store and get acouple of the nylon socks they let ya use to try on shoes.:D

Hunt
01-25-2011, 8:54 PM
I hate to bust your balls.............. but
please, please buy some binos. Using your firearm for glassing is one of the most unsafe things you can do in the field. I don't care to hear that it was unloaded, safety, trigger discipline(non-existent in those pics), none of it matters, safety first, and glassing with a rifle scope is unsafe.

I know I'll be flamed for talking crap, but no one, including myself, wants to be "scoped", specially with a finger on the trigger.

buy some binos please could be unpleasant to see some guy a 1/2 mile away doin the same thing to you!

winxp_man
01-25-2011, 9:22 PM
Read some posts thats my next plan!

bpnclark
01-26-2011, 7:39 AM
Iíve been reading here for a couple months and I just have to respond to this one Ė

People like winxp are the reason I stopped going to Indian Valley, Cache Creek and Knoxville. Thereís absolutely no excuse for even going hunting without binos. If you can afford to go out with 3 firearms, you can afford a set of binos.

tony270
01-26-2011, 7:53 AM
Modern binocular manufacturing companies coat their lenses with phosphorus so that they resist reflecting light, these lenses are red, I’m not sure what causes the green lenses to be green, but some reflection resistant lenses are green too. Remember, you’re not still hunting. Anyway, if you hunt alone you’ll rarely see a coyote approaching with binoculars. And when you do, they’ll spot your movement ľ mile away, choose a different stand if you need binoculars to when calling coyotes, if you hunt in a team that’s different. Binoculars are good to see humans or vehicles approaching.

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
bpnclark if you would of had a safety tip for it would of been worth reading ur crying. But seeing how "oh people like winxp is the reason I don't go to Indian valley" tell me how long have you hunted in that area ? If you have some info to add to the thread or a good safety tip please do if not then don't write at all!!!!!

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Also have you read any of the posts above ? That I posted, if not please do before responding again.

bpnclark
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
bpnclark if you would of had a safety tip for it would of been worth reading ur crying. But seeing how "oh people like winxp is the reason I don't go to Indian valley" tell me how long have you hunted in that area ? If you have some info to add to the thread or a good safety tip please do if not then don't write at all!!!!!

I started hunting that area 15-17 years ago. You should have seen it back then. Now itís a Fín zoo. There use to be hogs, deer and bear in the area. Now all you have is people walking around shooting everything that moves and doesnít move. Plus you have people all over the area using their rifle scopes as binos.

If you want a safety tip, donít use your scope to glass.....Ever.....Period. If you want a hunting tip, donít skyline yourself. You just told every animal within 5 miles that you're there.

There are some places at Cache Creek that are better for hunting coyotes. But you'll have to walk to them....

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I started hunting that area 15-17 years ago. You should have seen it back then. Now it’s a F’n zoo. There use to be hogs, deer and bear in the area. Now all you have is people walking around shooting everything that moves and doesn’t move. Plus you have people all over the area using their rifle scopes as binos.

If you want a safety tip, don’t use your scope to glass.....Ever.....Period. If you want a hunting tip, don’t skyline yourself. You just told every animal within 5 miles that you're there.

There are some places at Cache Creek that are better for hunting coyotes. But you'll have to walk to them....

One other thing about the using a scope while hunting to spot stuff out there. I have never in 14 years of hunting had a person in my scope intentionally. And I plan on keeping in like that with skills I have acquired over the years from other hunters. The only time this ever happened to me was when I saw the some movement at about 75-100 yards out and in the end it ended being a person coming through. I would ask this if it was a deer would you have had the time to drop your binos and grab the rifle and pull a round off to get the deer. I say when it comes to hunting you need to put some thought into safety from all angle. From not looking through the scope when you don't have to, to having the safety on, and trigger finger to be off the trigger at all times until you are 100% sure you know what if in front of you and everything else beyond your aim point.

Like I said I have never had a hunting accident in 14 years (thank God), and plan to keep it that way. So I take it I'm doing the right thing!

Thanks for the Cache Creek tip!

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I have never in 14 years of hunting had a person in my scope intentionally.......I would ask this if it was a deer would you have had the time to drop your binos and grab the rifle and pull a round off to get the deer.

I know you said you are getting glasses, but I have to address these 2 points. Intentional or not, accidents happen. You don't intentionally kill someone while driving drunk either, but it happens.
Taking a deer should never make you abandon the safety of others. There are more deer in the woods, no need to throw it all out the window just to hang a tag on a deer/pig/bear/coyote. As an archery hunter that hunkers into tight spots, that little bit of movement you are "scoping"... just might be me.

bpnclark
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
The only time this ever happened to me was when I saw the some movement at about 75-100 yards out and in the end it ended being a person coming through. I would ask this if it was a deer would you have had the time to drop your binos and grab the rifle and pull a round off to get the deer.

If youíre within 75-100 yards, you really donít need to look at through binos or your scope. Donít point your gun at it, just get ready. And if its farther out, yes youíll have time.

Winxp Ė Iím sure youíre a nice guy and you should just take this as a learning experience. There are just written and unwritten rules that hunters live by. Using a riflescope to glass is one of them.

And if you go out to Cache Creek, dawn is better than dusk. If get out there and set up before the sun comes up, you'll have a better shot at one.

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I know you said you are getting glasses, but I have to address these 2 points. Intentional or not, accidents happen. You don't intentionally kill someone while driving drunk either, but it happens.
Taking a deer should never make you abandon the safety of others. There are more deer in the woods, no need to throw it all out the window just to hang a tag on a deer/pig/bear/coyote. As an archery hunter that hunkers into tight spots, that little bit of movement you are "scoping"... just might be me.

I would say accidents happen when you don't take every precaution that you should while hunting. Just not looking through a scope will not get you there. Like I said I never had a accident and plan on keeping that way.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2011, 12:57 PM
You cant take every precaution to prevent an accident. that is why they call it an accident.

taperxz
01-26-2011, 1:33 PM
If youíre within 75-100 yards, you really donít need to look at through binos or your scope. Donít point your gun at it, just get ready. And if its farther out, yes youíll have time.

Winxp Ė Iím sure youíre a nice guy and you should just take this as a learning experience. There are just written and unwritten rules that hunters live by. Using a riflescope to glass is one of them.

And if you go out to Cache Creek, dawn is better than dusk. If get out there and set up before the sun comes up, you'll have a better shot at one.

He's not at cache creek, he is over looking a dry Indian valley reservoir. I shoot coyotes all the time on the other side of that lake. Most kills are between 7am and noon. There are no occupied dwellings in that area and it appears they are pointing there rifles at the dry lake bed where no human can walk because they would sink. I'm not justifying not using binos but they are pointing in a safe direction in this particular situation.

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 1:35 PM

This is why I posted that I will have to get me a pair of binos asap. I just started this thread for hunting yotes in high winds not a thread to argue a point of using a scope to look through or a pair of binos. Now when the issue was brought up I said I agree and have to get a pair of binos. What got to me is the posts afterward from everyone Oh your not being safe! ummmmm i just happened to have agreed to the first post. If I want to agrue safety issues I would start a thread just for that. I'm done with this now!

Thanks for all the input guys.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-26-2011, 3:11 PM
If I want to agrue safety issues I would start a thread just for that. I'm done with this now!

Thanks for all the input guys.

no winxp.... you're going to continue to get beat up over this issue till we see a pic of you looking through binos and holding a big sign saying "I'm sorry" :43:

winxp_man
01-26-2011, 3:19 PM
no winxp.... you're going to continue to get beat up over this issue till we see a pic of you looking through binos and holding a big sign saying "I'm sorry" :43:

:eek: :90:

:rofl2:

To funny hehehehe