PDA

View Full Version : SB 59 has passed the Assembly

mikehaas
08-22-2006, 4:51 PM
8/22/2006 - SB 59 has passed the Assembly. As the bill was amended, it must return to the Senate for a concurrence vote. Please contact the Senate and urge opposition to SB 59.

Contact Tools are available at:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=sb59

Mike

GW
08-22-2006, 5:30 PM
Done and thanks for the heads up!

6172crew
08-22-2006, 5:43 PM
Done, thanks for the heads up!

bluebaron
08-22-2006, 5:50 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to why we should be objecting to this ?

Mudvayne540ld
08-22-2006, 5:51 PM
letter of opposition sent!
My reasons: A. This will cause more problems for the general public, as you will need to report your handgun stolen within 5 days. Most people report their guns stolen anyway. B. There is no effective way to enforce this law. Why pass laws you cant enforce? All that will happen is, if the handgun is recovered, the person gets an infraction, because someone else stole his/her firearm.

TKo_Productions
08-22-2006, 6:15 PM

If you just had a firearm stolen, you're the victim of burglary/theft. Now the legislature wants to make you a criminal for not reporting it. As the NRA put it, why continue to victimize the victim.

It's rediculous. I just had a firearm stolen, and now I'm the friggen criminal for not reporting it within 5 days. How unbelievably assinine.

Gun grabbers want to make gun ownership so conveluted and risky, in hope that one day no one will want the hassle of dealing with all the requirements, laws, and liability. They're taking away our freedom and rights one chip at a time.

TKo_Productions
08-22-2006, 6:26 PM
I ask this: will trial lawyers now go aftervictims of theft if their gun is used ina crime? if this group gets immunity, does that not imply that its ok to sue victims of theft?

Of course they will, they're lawyers afterall.

The only purpose this bill serves is to kick a guy while he's down.

grammaton76
08-22-2006, 6:29 PM
I will also point out that, in the eyes of the libs, even if you're storing your guns in a DOJ-approved safe and they haul it off, you can be argued to have been negligent in your storage. Did you buy an alarm system for your house? Did you bolt it into your floor securely enough? Did you buy the really big, really secure version or just cheap out with the 300lb safe?

In the eyes of the Bradies, all of us are negligent in our storage - we shouldn't have them at all.

That 'carrot' there at the end, is poisoned.

Dont Tread on Me
08-22-2006, 6:47 PM
Why not increase the penalty for stealing guns...

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I'll write today.

Matt C
08-22-2006, 7:52 PM

I think my worst fear on this is:

SHTF, and they come around to collect all the guns. The "I dropped it off the pier", or "they were all stolen last month out of my car" is now Probable cause for an arrest and a search of your home. :eek:

Bad news. Is this the ultimate aim of the bill or just an unintended result? Who knows, but its BAD.:mad:

bluebaron
08-22-2006, 8:27 PM
Thanks for the replies....I get it now. Although, I must admit if we had a robbery my gun collection would be high up on my list of things to check.

Vigilante
08-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Although, I must admit if we had a robbery my gun collection would be high up on my list of things to check.
What if you didn't know that you had been robbed? A person could easilly break into my house without me knowing about it. And even worse is that if someone does steal your guns it is more than likely someone you know. I know a handfull of people who have stollen firearms and they were all from people that they knew or friends and family of people that they knew. For instance, a man that I worked with had his 1911 stollen from his house by his landlords tweaker daughter (to sell to buy drugs of course). He didn't know it was gone for a week and a half. Does this make him a criminal? It was found a month or two later on some vato down in Santa Maria and was returned to him. So obviously he got lucky. My point is that he did absolutely nothing wrong, but if SB 59 is made law then innocent people like him will be criminals. Its disgusting.

brassburns
08-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the update on SB59. This is one I hadn't heard of.

Randy

Can'thavenuthingood
08-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Sent a one click as well as a short letter opposing SB59 to my Senator.

treelogger
The black market in handguns is not going to dry up by making you, an honest man, a criminal. I think any honest person is going to report a missing weapon to the police within a few hours of discovering it missing. A criminal mind or attitude won't.

This bill is about control.
The laws in place do not stifle criminal activity as the consequences are minimal if they are caught.
They cannot control the criminal so they control you.

Its much safer to go after you, the honest family man.

You have proven, as has your wife, one of the primary arguments of imposed gun lockup. How long does it take to access a weapon in a case of you needing it right now?

Once you accessed the gun the snake was then quickly dispatched.

Self reliance is good, as is social responsibility and legislation isn't the way to achieve either one.

Vick

Dont Tread on Me
08-23-2006, 5:38 AM
My point is that he did absolutely nothing wrong

Its worse. He would be a criminal for not noticing that he was the victim of a crime. This was the basis of my one-click e-mail to the senate.

mikehaas
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Updated just because of your question...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=sb59

Also, suggest you click on the "More Detail" button there.

I am particularly disturnbed by the attack on state preemption - The bill would also provide that local governments are not prohibited from enacting ordinances imposing reporting requirements that are more strict than those specified in the bill.

Also, this text is interesting...

...[sb 59 will] make it an infraction for any person whose handgun is stolen or irretrievably lost to fail, within 5 working days after his or her discovery or knowledge of, OR within 5 working days after the date he or she should reasonably have known of, the theft of or loss, to report the theft or loss...

Gee, how "reasonable", huh? Within 5 days of when you learned of it, OR within 5 days of when they THINK you should have learned of it. Logically, the first part of that statement is unnecessary, section 2 always takes precedent because it is the most limiting.

So you can be prosecuted...

1). even when you never learned your gun was stolen

2). you learned about it, even reported it within 5 days, but you didn't learn about it soon enough.

Mike

ibbryn
08-23-2006, 2:56 PM
I think my worst fear on this is:

SHTF, and they come around to collect all the guns. The "I dropped it off the pier", or "they were all stolen last month out of my car" is now Probable cause for an arrest and a search of your home. :eek:
:

I think this is the whole purpose of the bill.

50 Freak
08-23-2006, 4:52 PM
This bill is toothless.

It says you have to report a gun stolen within 5 days from when you discover it to be missing. So even if your house is broken into and stuff stolen, you may not realize that some of your firearms may be stolen till months later.

I know for a fact if one of my handguns were stolen. I wouldn't know (unless it's my CCW peice) as my HG's often don't see the outside of the safe for months/years at a time. Nor do some of my rifles.

6172crew
08-23-2006, 4:53 PM
Id hate to be a Adam Young in the eyes of a Cop, even if Im not a gangbanger sounds like they could haul me in if they needed a body to charge and didnt liek the fact that I told flatfoot on the beat to eat my corn.

........Naw, the law still sucks and if they want to bust Adam they have plenty of other tools to get him on.