PDA

View Full Version : norcal pig hunting

brantly04
01-23-2011, 7:29 AM
I live in chico and have lived in the surrounding area my whole life. Anyone know of a good spit close to here freeroam for pigs?

duckman1
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Did you mean Chico?

If so you have great access in your own back yard.

brantly04
01-23-2011, 5:20 PM
Ya chico sorry my phone spelled it. Where do ppl go for hogs outta willows? I know ppl that pay around here but where is it free to go

MrClamperSir
01-23-2011, 5:33 PM
I'm in the same area and wondering the same thing. I've been looking to go on a pig hunt for a while and nobody aroud here seems to know.

brantly04
01-23-2011, 6:06 PM
I'm in the same area and wondering the same thing. I've been looking to go on a pig hunt for a while and nobody aroud here seems to know.

I have heard of people going on the W side of williows in the hills and sometimes in stonyford..... but I do not know the free roam areas. Would you be willing to go on a hunt together if we can swing it? I work in the buttes and know some landowners but you almost have to be royalty to hunt the hogs there...

bombadillo
01-23-2011, 6:24 PM
They have a hunt on private land in red bluff. A group of hunters have gotten together for thousands of acres there and put together a conglomerate hunting area but the kicker is; you don't get to keep the meat. It goes towards families struggling to make groceries happen so they get the game meat. I believe you can pay to go on the land and hunt as well. I'll see if I can find out the name of the group later on in the thread.

shtr45acp
01-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Stonyford, Walker Ridge, Cow Mountain....use an atv...youll need it. There's some talk about Mendo forest, but ck first. Let us know how you do. Red Bluff areas are good too, I hear, but most successfull hunting is on private land. Mike at Pig Point Ranch will get you hooked up for $600+, and if ya dont get one, I think he has a few pen'd up out back of his place you can shoot...at least youll not go home without any meat. Broke? yup.

bigfrank
01-23-2011, 6:35 PM
Private land up here is abundant. Having hogs on that private land is very rare. most private land in up higher, which isn't prime hog habitat. Not saying they don't pass through, but they have no reason to be hanging around up that high when there is more to offer in the lower lying lands, which are mostly private.

Not saying there isn't any places that are public and have hogs, just saying I have done lots of research on it and haven't found any where hogs will stay. Having said that, I have not visited all of the places that I have done history on, but I have talked to people that have been there and they have backed up what I have researched.

brantly04
01-23-2011, 6:39 PM
I hunt ducks/geese avidly since I was able to and do the usual squirrel/rabbit/coyote screw around hunts. My dad's buddy has a ranch up in sites by maxwell but says the pigs are nasty. I just want to go out and scout..see some hogs and possibly let one have it. Duck season wasn't the greatest this year so I am looking to hit something in the off time. Anyone have any hunts coming up?

winxp_man
01-23-2011, 8:48 PM
I have hunted the clear lake, Indian valley reservoir area, Stoneyford area and even went up into the Mendocino forest area and been able to look at the pig or the place where we could hunt seen nothing. ATV is a must for anything in these areas. I have seen some really heavy tracks in some areas but not a single pig. At about mid November a gourp of us went out shooting and while coming back out off of walker ridge area we almost slammed into a hog. We had no chance to take a crack at it because it took off before we can load up.

brantly04
01-23-2011, 9:15 PM
Ya I want to try it out

MrClamperSir
01-23-2011, 9:17 PM
I have heard of people going on the W side of williows in the hills and sometimes in stonyford..... but I do not know the free roam areas. Would you be willing to go on a hunt together if we can swing it? I work in the buttes and know some landowners but you almost have to be royalty to hunt the hogs there...

Yeah I would be down. I've been asking for a while but unless you have a good chunk of change it seems like you need to know the right person.

brantly04
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know of a spot close to chico that is free roam? I can't find any maps?? Anyone been hunting by the indian valley reservoir? the Sacramento river bend area near redding?

85yota
01-27-2011, 9:44 PM
I use to go to black butte lake in orland, saw a couple about 150yds out crossing the dry creek, they only allow shotgun or bow, it was too far

chicoredneck
01-28-2011, 5:04 AM
I too am from Chico and always looking for a place to hunt hogs. The Sacramento river has pigs right outside of chico in the wilson landing area, butthey are hard to find.

chicoredneck
01-28-2011, 5:59 AM
The whole area west of Orland and willows is full of pigs, but it is all private ground. It sounds like there is a fair number of us who are all interested in the same thing. If we pool our money we could probably lease a pice of ground for us to hunt at a very affordable cost to the individual.

rexbo47
01-28-2011, 6:15 AM
The whole area west of Orland and willows is full of pigs, but it is all private ground. It sounds like there is a fair number of us who are all interested in the same thing. If we pool our money we could probably lease a pice of ground for us to hunt at a very affordable cost to the individual.

I'm on the Peninsula but I'd be interested as well.

chicoredneck
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Well if there is enough people interested I am willing to make the phone calls and put together a lease. If you are PM me with your name and phone number and the amount you would be willing to commit to a lease for pig hunting and probably coyote hunting. We used to lease a pice of property out of elk creek for deer, but the pig hunting was much better. It's a lot of acrage with tons of hogs.

brantly04
01-28-2011, 7:17 PM
I will shoot coyotes and pig all day.