PDA

View Full Version : Saner Gun Laws

ipser
01-23-2011, 6:38 AM
It begins with a proposed ban on the big volume ammunition magazines that added to the carnage not just in Arizona but also a long line of other mass shootings, including at Columbine High School and Virginia Tech. Even former Vice President Dick Cheney, a staunch gun rights advocate, said last week that it might be time to reinstate the magazine-size rule, which was part of the discarded assault weapons ban. That would save lives without interfering with hunters or violating any constitutional right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/opinion/23sun1.html

PhantomII
01-23-2011, 6:48 AM
I challenge anybody to pick any shooting incident, and then propose a law that would have positively prevented it from occurring.

Legasat
01-23-2011, 6:53 AM
Here they come....

RRangel
01-23-2011, 7:07 AM
Apparently the usual suspects are encouraging "common ground" now that they know their bidding will not be rammed down America's throat. How convenient. Suddenly what Dick Cheney says has merit. Sanity would be for biased opinion makers to stop advocating abrogation of the Second Amendment.

12voltguy
01-23-2011, 7:14 AM
It begins with a proposed ban on the big volume ammunition magazines that added to the carnage not just in Arizona but also a long line of other mass shootings, including at Columbine High School and Virginia Tech. Even former Vice President Dick Cheney, a staunch gun rights advocate, said last week that it might be time to reinstate the magazine-size rule, which was part of the discarded assault weapons ban. That would save lives without interfering with hunters or violating any constitutional right.

WHAT ABOUT MY RIGHTS?
i DO NOT HUNT
i JUST LIKE SHOOTING HARMLESS PAPER, i DON'T KILL ANYTHING.......so if I were to hunt & kill I would be ok to them:rolleyes:

SanPedroShooter
01-23-2011, 7:21 AM
I know, what a joke. After their attempts to force gun control get slapped down, now they want to compromise. Well its to late for that in my opinion. We have momentum, lets drive the grabbers to the wall. We should show them as much quarter as they would show us if the shoe was on the other foot.
Brady et al. had their chance in the nineties. Their proposals didnt do one single thing to stop or prevent crime. The fed AW ban was a complete failure, do we need a repeat? Its always just one more. We meet them halfway, and then halfway again next year.
Professional victims like mcarthy need to get a grip, I am sorry for her loss but her personal misfortunes dont trump my God given right to arms.
If my relatives, God forbid, were murdered by a jared laughner, would i blame glock? Hardly, how about his parents, or a system that let the community down. Or how about we stop trying to blame everything and everyone under the sun for the actions of insane individuals.

ScottB
01-23-2011, 7:34 AM

As long as the military and LEO have high capacity magazines, I don't think you can make a valid argument that limiting everyone else does not constitute an infringement. Question is, is it a permissible infringement?

That said, I never saw the attraction of a 30+ round magazine hanging way out the butt of a pistol. Clumsey, awkward, unbalanced. What's the point? Loughner liked 'em, but he's nuts. I'll defend your right to have stupid accessories though.

(and no, there is no comparison with howitzers or a-bombs. That's just moronic. - if we ever get in a general rebellion/civil war, the Russians, Chinese and breakaway US military units will make sure we get all of that stuff we need :))

Don29palms
01-23-2011, 7:47 AM
Permissible infringement? There is no such thing. Shall not be infringed.

tcd511
01-23-2011, 7:55 AM
Didn't Dick Cheney shoot his friend hunting?

Don29palms
01-23-2011, 7:57 AM
Didn't Dick Cheney shoot his friend hunting?

Right in the face!

tcd511
01-23-2011, 7:59 AM
oops sorry....it was a campaign contributor. He must not have been wanting to play ball with the v/p on some issue.

VegasND
01-23-2011, 8:11 AM
I have a revolutionary new idea that can put this all to rest:
Saner Constitutional Gun Laws
FIFY

r3dn3ck
01-23-2011, 8:20 AM
shakes head and leaves. "not be infringed.", the sentence ended there.

ScottB
01-23-2011, 8:48 AM
Permissible infringement? There is no such thing. Shall not be infringed.

The Supreme Court held the 2nd is not absolute (nor is the 1st or the 4th or any other amendment according to SCOTUS). It is not a given that they would find such a ban unconstitutional.

N6ATF
01-23-2011, 3:25 PM
Cheney is a disgrace. Take away his oil.

Drivedabizness
01-23-2011, 4:11 PM

This may sound harsh...if so, sorry in advance.

Let's do "critical thinking 101" and apply it to your post.

You're first sentence purports to be fact, but contains lots of unsubstantiated assumption.
Your appeal to "authority" (Cheney) is irrelevant in the context of a free people exercising a fundamental right that existed prior to, and was not granted by, rather simply enumerated, by the 2A. You can always find someone willing to throw everyone else under the bus. Also, the AW magazine rule did not ban possession - no way to know it would have had any impact at all - especially since if the guy really wanted them he could have found them illegally.

Your last sentence is pure supposition - certainly not the unequivocal statement of fact you seem to be offering.

Based on the above, I say "no thanks".

Here's a thought when it comes to establishing a workable standard for what the People can keep and Bear. (I acknowledge that, according to Heller, the right is not unlimited) Do the LE folks I hire at the local level carry an arm/ accessory in the course of maintaining our "well ordered mechanism of liberty"? If they have it, criminals will also have it, therefore I should be able to get it. My right to bear arms and defend myself doesn't mean much if I can be legislated/regulated into a disadvantage. The Federalist Papers go into detail on this concept - they conclude that the People will never be more than marginally less well armed than the Army, let alone law enforcement.

Don't get me wrong...I never really considered a 30+ round mag for my Glock. But I see no need for us to pee all over ourselves finding something we can offer back to the other side so we can demonstrate how "reasonable" we are. We should not and cannot accept the premise that the "People" (meaning anyone but felons and mentally ill - those that cannot legally own/bear arms) are really not to be trusted with the right and therefore we can take turns putting on our favorite limitations.

This guy was known to be a head case. You want to do something that would really help? Work on a mechanism that makes sure unstable people get a review - and, if warranted, lose access to (at least legally) acquired arms. Make sure that happens even if their Mom works for the County/local law enforcement.

Rant off

Casey
01-23-2011, 4:13 PM
Why is it if a gun owner suggests these stupid restrictions that it carries more weight with the media? Even one gun owner the media hates and vilifies every opportunity they get.

To me gun owners that promote more stupid restrictions are far more dangerous then plain old gun hating goofs. They are somehow more "expert" then non gun owners so they must of course be more credible.

motorhead
01-23-2011, 5:32 PM
according to the conspiracy theorists, dick cheney was the evil mastermind behind 911.

uyoga
01-23-2011, 6:06 PM
Do you realize that automatic weapons (machine guns) have been illegal since 1934; and that bad guys can get automatic weapons anytine they want?

Do you realize that during "prohibition" more alcohol was consumed in the United States than ever before, perhaps since (per capita)?

Do you realize that marihuana has been illegal for over 50 years, and yet people readily purchase and possess it?

Do you realize that the argument of "banning" or "restricting" does not make sense, because it does not work?

Do you realize?

jshoebot
01-23-2011, 7:36 PM
Anybody who's a "staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment," doesn't advocate for more restrictions.

Mendo223
01-23-2011, 8:20 PM
HAHAHAHHA.

the gun control lobby and its left wing element has been bashing dick cheney for ages. and now they act like he is suddenly the all important republican master who will sway his masses.

HAHA wow they are getting desperate.

nicki
01-23-2011, 8:23 PM
I have no problems with "sensible gun laws", but I do have problems with "disarming potential victims".

How appropriate that Cheney's first name is "Dick" because up to now the only redeeming quality he had was that he was "Pro Gun".

Nicki

TempleKnight
01-23-2011, 8:30 PM
[QUOTE=ScottB;5673857]That said, I never saw the attraction of a 30+ round magazine hanging way out the butt of a pistol. Clumsey, awkward, unbalanced. What's the point? Loughner liked 'em, but he's nuts. I'll defend your right to have stupid accessories though.

QUOTE]

It's not a stupid accessory, it's part of a legitimate sport. You need to shoot more action pistol matches to understand the attraction.

pitchbaby
01-23-2011, 8:59 PM
I think I said it in one of Nicki's posts... if it weren't for the extended mag... the lady who grabbed it in Tucson would not have had the leverage to fight it away from the shooter. I say the bigger the better!