PDA

View Full Version : What so special about TRP operator ???

richardk1911
01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Hello fellow calgunners

Lately, I have been looking for SA TRP operator

I have had chance to try few shot. heavy but it was ok

Well...... I googled it most of the prices are around

NIB !380 to 1550 in between ( funny no one with stock though)

But on this CALGUN, a lot of people going crazy asking 1800 used ???????

Well It's not like high end custom 1911

Why is it so over priced on CALGUNS?

Is the full rail so hard to get ?

I missed a full rail from Budsgunshop 1599 few month ago

but it was actually sold for 1500 I heard.

If it's CA off list may be understandable but

2 to 3 month waiting period really makes that much profit?

I just don't get it

I have shot few times it wasn't like high end 1911's

similar but not the same.

I own sevral high end 1911's Wilson combats , Night hawk , Les baer

But the smooth action is not quite the same.

May be, I'm wrong or the one I shot hasn't been broken in yet.

But I'm sure it's not something you should go nuts about it

WELL...... IT A GREAT POSER I CAN SEE THAT.:p

Mr.Caketown
01-22-2011, 11:57 PM
the TRP is a masterpiece , it shoots well and not too many 1911s are railed and if you find a full rail TRP its even "more baller" .

chim-chim7
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Ok, so why do you want one then?

1911Operator
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM

:rofl2:

id like one too. guess my LW operator will have to do for now :punk:

Blackhawk556
01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
That 1911 looks freaking awesome

ChrisTKHarris
01-23-2011, 12:25 AM
It's because it's an amazing semi-custom.

1911Operator
01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
That 1911 looks freaking awesome

yes it does:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/Uploaded_633885670988243750_Filejpg.png

Striker
01-23-2011, 8:36 AM
The TRP is worth the $1500.00 it sold for at Buds. I don't know where you saw it for $1800.00, but that's high. For another $200.00, you can get a Custom Carry, so unless you have to have a rail, that's the better gun. Heavy? It doesn't seem heavy to me, but I know the rail adds a couple of ounces on the front end, which I think helps control recoil. Overall,it's an accurate nice handling gun.

Also, you're comparing a production gun to a semi custom. If you want a Springfield that compares to the a Nighthawk GRP Recon or a Wilson CQB, than you should be comparing it to the Springfield Professional model. That's a better comparison and it's in the same price range as the other two guns.

If you want one, $1500.00 is about right, but remember it's a production gun, not a semi custom. If you want it to run like a semi custom, be prepared to drop some money into it or you can just enjoy a really nice weapon as is.

Blackhawk556
01-23-2011, 8:46 AM
@1911operator...awesome, I saved that pictured :-)

ChrisTKHarris
01-23-2011, 9:15 AM
I picked up SS TRP without rail for $1250. It only had 16 rounds through it. :)

gwl
01-23-2011, 9:19 AM

:eek: Oh my . . .

X-NewYawker
01-23-2011, 9:28 AM
Full length dust cover makes it look like it means business. But I've had two and sold both... damn -- now I want to get another...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/IMG_1925.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/SATRPandGLOCK21.jpg

viet4lifeOC
01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I've been on the hunt for an SA TRP full rail. For the asking price on calguns... I could have one COOL looking gun, but be a FOOL holding it. The asking price for the production TRP is greater than buying a better quality semi-custom Les Baer.

I'm about giving up my TRP hunt and just get another Les Baer.

X-NewYawker
01-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I'd take the TRP over the Baer -- Les ran the custom shop at Springfield.

battleship
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Just look at it, im not really a 1911 fan but i own a mint full rail operator picked it up used for $1500 your seeing them for $1800 on calguns because someone will pay that, it may take time to move but considering you can no longer get them new it will sell.

Close to $1800 was what i was quoted at a gunstore when they were still available.

Steve1968LS2
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I bought a TRP with half rail for $1300...

I think it's one of the nicer 1911s you can get before getting into "custom" territory.

Steve1968LS2
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd take the TRP over the Baer -- Les ran the custom shop at Springfield.

Really?.. my SRP is much nicer than my TRP in regards to fit, accuracy (although both are still better than I am) and the trigger on the LB feels much better.

Then again, that's just my opinion..

Oh, and the Custom Shop has nothing to do with the TRP.. and Les has even less to do with the TRP or even the Custom Shop..

1911whore
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Had one, Sold it, it was nice but......I paid 1350 for mine new sold it for about that. It left a lot to be desired and for the "ultimate tactical pistol" it wasnt a gun that did well when it at all got dirty. 200 rds ina session and it became really sluggish, the gun worked really hard and around 250 it would begin to have failures.

Q619
01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I've had both a TRP and a Baer. I still have the Baer. TRP is a great gun but IMO they're priced a little too high since you can get a "next step up" gun for slightly more. The fr version is pretty cool though. In that case your next step up is a $2700 Wilson or NH. If I had a fr trp I'd definitely hang on to it. The one in the sale section is priced a TAD on the high side IMO. I'd certainly pay $1500 for one if I were into railed 1911's.

Q619
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Really?.. my SRP is much nicer than my TRP in regards to fit, accuracy (although both are still better than I am) and the trigger on the LB feels much better.

Oh, and the Custom Shop has nothing to do with the TRP.. and Les has even less to do with the TRP or even the Custom Shop..

You're comparing a TRP to a gun that costs around 1k more....OF COURSE it's the better gun :p comparing apples to apples would be the TRP to the CC.....in which case the CC will win out every time :D

Love Springers, love Baers....Baers will win out every time when it comes to the TRP. You can get a hell of a gun by upgrading one of the entry level SA's though....I'm working on that right now.

In regards to SA....I'd take a Custom Carry over the TRP...should look into that in that price range.

Steve1968LS2
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
You're comparing a TRP to a gun that costs around 1k more....OF COURSE it's the better gun :p comparing apples to apples would be the TRP to the CC.....in which case the CC will win out every time :D

Love Springers, love Baers....Baers will win out every time when it comes to the TRP. You can get a hell of a gun by upgrading one of the entry level SA's though....I'm working on that right now.

In regards to SA....I'd take a Custom Carry over the TRP...should look into that in that price range.

I was adressing what I quoted... and the fact that Les worked at the Springer Custom Shop "once upon a time" has almost nothing to do with the TRP..

The TRP is a great "non custom" 1911.. I would even say it'a a better value over a LB in some cases.

I buy used so the difference in $$ between the LB SRP and the TRP was about $600..

Q619
01-23-2011, 3:16 PM
I was adressing what I quoted... and the fact that Les worked at the Springer Custom Shop "once upon a time" has almost nothing to do with the TRP..

The TRP is a great "non custom" 1911.. I would even say it'a a better value over a LB in some cases.

I buy used so the difference in $$ between the LB SRP and the TRP was about $600..

I never said Les working for SA had any relevance....where do you get that?

The TRP is a solid value...especially if you can find one used.

The actual dollar difference between your pistols is irrelevant. That's what YOU paid for used pistols with whatever amount of wear on them. If you discuss the merits of all pistols based on what "some guy" bought them used for you've got too many variables to make an equitable assesment.

When it comes down to it, comparing an entirely hand fitted gun to a gun that's essentially a production piece is silly. There's no comparison. You Usually get what you pay for. In this case you pay for higher quality components that are fitted by a gunsmith. You could have paid $500 for your SRP and $1k for your TRP and it would STILL be an apples to oranges comparison as SOMEONE paid around $2500 for that SRP at some point while someone paid around $1300-$1400 (in CA at least) for that TRP at some point and they're both in completely different tiers.

In all fairness however, you're paying about $250 for the box I believe and about $350 for the finish with the SRP but it's still got more attention paid in the fitting/finishing of the gun than the other Baers so it's really more like a $1900 pistol.

Jerry X
01-23-2011, 3:23 PM
The TRP is one of the best production 1911s out there. It doesn't compare to the Baers because you're comparing production to custom. I've heard nothing but good things about the Les Baers but I just can't stand the way they look. :(

My old TRP
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2046/best2small.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1504/best23.jpg

Q619
01-23-2011, 3:42 PM
The TRP is one of the best production 1911s out there. I've heard nothing but good things about the Les Baers but I just can't stand the way they look. :(

Haha, yeah. I know what you mean. Thats the same reason why I could never pick up a Kimber....even at a bargain price. You can't buy a gun if you don't like the way it looks.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the only thing that rubs me wrong on the TRP is the "Tactical" marking....apart from the slide being busy with markings as well. The things that I didn't like was the inside of my TRP hadn't been properly debarred and the rails were scarred/mangled. There was a section on the inside of the slide where the rail was interrupted by a void/chip that went halfway through the slide. The frame around the beavertail was unevenly spaced/fitted and rough with too much clearance and there were voids/chunks missing around the edges on the back of the slide. Things perfectly acceptable on a Mil Spec but not so on a TRP. I eventually sold if for what I had into it so it was really money well spent as it PERFORMED wonderfully despite it's aesthetic flaws.

Steve1968LS2
01-23-2011, 3:56 PM
The TRP is one of the best production 1911s out there. It doesn't compare to the Baers because you're comparing production to custom. I've heard nothing but good things about the Les Baers but I just can't stand the way they look. :(

My old TRP...

How does your TRP look any different than a LB except your's has the fancy silver coating the the LB is just has a functional black coating?

My SRP
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vj7gw0.jpg

My TRP
http://i56.tinypic.com/2gsk1gj.jpg

Failing to see how the LB is less attractive.. or even looks all the different except for the half rail.

Q619
01-23-2011, 4:11 PM
How does your TRP look any different than a LB except your's has the fancy silver coating the the LB is just has a functional black coating?

My SRP
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vj7gw0.jpg

My TRP
http://i56.tinypic.com/2gsk1gj.jpg

Failing to see how the LB is less attractive.. or even looks all the different except for the half rail.

Both nice guns but damn, that SRP is KILLIN me! Love that gun! You don't see too many of them.

Steve1968LS2
01-23-2011, 4:25 PM
Both nice guns but damn, that SRP is KILLIN me! Love that gun! You don't see too many of them.

I just don't get the "can't stand how they look" when they look just like any other similarly coated 1911.. lol

Both shoot great, the LB is just another notch up. Both are better than I am. :)

I think if you find a TRP at a good deal then it's the way to go. But I would rather buy a used LB (or Ed Brown, etc) for $2000 than a TRP for $1800.

Better resale to boot.

kahai808
01-23-2011, 4:49 PM
There's a full rail TRP at Iron Sights the other day! i think for 1650.

Q619
01-23-2011, 5:09 PM
I just don't get the "can't stand how they look" when they look just like any other similarly coated 1911.. lol

Both shoot great, the LB is just another notch up. Both are better than I am. :)

I think if you find a TRP at a good deal then it's the way to go. But I would rather buy a used LB (or Ed Brown, etc) for $2000 than a TRP for $1800.

Better resale to boot.

I feel the same away...in regards to the fella not liking the looks of Baers...while I don't see why, I understand (if that nonsensical statement makes any sense :p). Used LB is where it's at. That's the route I went as well but with a Thunder Ranch Special. I absolutely love that gun. Just found out I'm getting a new job so I'm celebrating by getting a Brown SF. I'll see how it compares to the Baer. Should be functionally equal to each other but damn if those Browns aren't the most nicely finished 1911's For between $2-3k!

these are the things you pay for with wilsons and hawks. theyre usually blem free for the most part. machining tolerances are of a much higher level.

Bingo, you seem to pay for better fitting and better customer service. Quality and function wise though I'd put Baer, Brown, Wilson and NH in the same ballpark. Big difference are the levels of finishing and different bells and whistles. The quality is THERE on then all from what I've seen.

Q619
01-23-2011, 5:40 PM
i mentioned that in an earlier thread yesterday or something, they had two, wen i asked her about it. i doubt theyre still there after that post tho

I was there Saturday morning and didn't see any while browsing. I wouldn't expect them to have lasted long!

1911Operator
01-23-2011, 6:08 PM
so, I always wondered why some TRP's have bull barrels and some have the standard barrels with the barrel bushings? I think id perfer the standard barrels with bushings, would there be something better about the bull barrel versions? i like how much easier the spring is to take off on the standard barrels too.

1911Operator
01-23-2011, 6:31 PM
i think theyd be a little heavier, but at the same time, yea, id prefer standard barrels too. youd be able to fit any barrel at will.

it seems like the profile of the bull barrel would make it so it doesnt need a bushing and whatever. but i like my bushings

yeah i kno, the bull barrel does not need the bushings! they just ride inside the slide. with the standard barrels, you could get a match fit bushing witch I hear really makes a big difference with accuracy.

Swoop
01-23-2011, 6:35 PM
Great gun, I like my MC just as much. Paid 1500 for trp and 1200 for mc

Q619
01-23-2011, 6:46 PM
i was there friday, she said they got them in the day before... so it wouldve been thursday, with that being said, they mustve gone thursday late, and friday... that place gets alot, of steady customers flowing in , the place was never empty in the four hours that i was there..

I was there at opening...was a madhouse even then. Was just there for a PPT....took an hour and a half! Great staff though!

do the brown sf's still come here in caspian railed frame configuration?

That's a good question...I don't know for certain. I'd check the DOJ list but something tells me they are not. I THINK you can only get a KC in stainless or a SF carbon with the gen 3 coating. The only high end railed guns I've personally seen on shelves were the NH GRP I believe (might be a different model as I'm not familiar with their lineup) and the Wilson CQB. Both looked exceptional but I'd probably go with the Wilson. I've always wanted a Wilson CQB. Just not as much as that SF though :D can't wait for that one! My first NEW semi custom gun!

Q619
01-23-2011, 6:52 PM
i think theyd be a little heavier, but at the same time, yea, id prefer standard barrels too. youd be able to fit any barrel at will.

it seems like the profile of the bull barrel would make it so it doesnt need a bushing and whatever. but i like my bushings

I like to shoot. A LOT. So the first thing I think when I look at a bull barrel is how you remedy a loose fit as the slide wears from contact with the barrel. Do you just have to replace the slide at that point? Put in an oversized barrel and fit it to spec? Weld in new material and re-machine the slide?

Gives me a headache. Bushings work great for me so I'm sticking with them. Easy to replace when accuracy degrades. Not that I've got to that point...

JMB1911
01-23-2011, 7:00 PM
I have the full rail version. That along with the bull barrel eats up recoil like no other 1911. The gun is super accurate and follow up shots are quick.

stormvet
01-23-2011, 8:39 PM
The TRP is a very nice production 1911, but there is no way in hell I would spent over $1400 on a brand new one let alone a used gun. As nice as they are they are over rated. For $1800 I would find a good used Wilson, Bear, Brown or NH and be very happy.

Jonathan Doe
01-23-2011, 8:57 PM
I think the 1911s that I built for myself will shoot as good or better than TRP's. And, I didn't spent even close the price of the TRP. :rolleyes:

Q619
01-23-2011, 9:40 PM
post pix!

+1

Love to see other peoples one offs!

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Ok I got it it's a great gun.....................:whistling:

kahai808
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Lets see Topgun7 built 1911!!!!

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm totally with you

That what I was thinking I've been on the hunt for an SA TRP full rail. For the asking price on calguns... I could have one COOL looking gun, but be a FOOL holding it. The asking price for the production TRP is greater than buying a better quality semi-custom Les Baer.

I'm about giving up my TRP hunt and just get another Les Baer.

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
This is work of TOPGUN 7 plus I added a little cosmetic enhencement

The Kimber Expendables~~~!!!!

This shoots 2 " group in 50 yard a great target pistol indeed.

Try that with a TRP operator

You better be a damn good shooter.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/viviho3/IMG_8519.jpgLets see Topgun7 built 1911!!!!

dennab
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Love my TRP - have a rail-less model. Picked it up at Impact Guns - slightly used for $1,000 - no shipping or tax and our transfer fees here in AZ reasonable ($20 bucks) unlike some CA FFL's. So, for $1020 I have a custom-like 1911. Fit/finish is amazing and accuracy is superb.

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 10:39 PM
$1500 is about right price I think considering rare value not the actual quality of the gun. If you are a serious shooter you will see that If you are a poser may not .:rolleyes:
Just look at it, im not really a 1911 fan but i own a mint full rail operator picked it up used for $1500 your seeing them for $1800 on calguns because someone will pay that, it may take time to move but considering you can no longer get them new it will sell.

Close to $1800 was what i was quoted at a gunstore when they were still available.

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Why ? Simple

TRP operator seem nice secondary for my SA M1A SOCOM 16 .

But $1800 I'm passed .:rolleyes:

richardk1911
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
TRP over SRP? It tells a lot about the shooter I think.

I mean there is nothing wrong trying to be cool or being a poser

But that doesn't sounds right.

LB 1911 are not very pretty but they are great tools for a good shooter.

BTW I thought that Les was with Wilson combat before wasn't he?

Fishslayer
01-24-2011, 7:47 AM
It has "Operator" stamped on the slide so everyone will know you're tacticool...:rolleyes:

B Strong
01-24-2011, 8:28 AM
Hello fellow calgunners

I just don't get it

If you own the high-end pieces and don't "get" the TRP, the only thing I can surmise is that you don't pay attention.

I'm not a TRP fanboy, don't own one, but I have fired one to the extent that I'd trust my life to one - but I do have a bunch of high-end pieces as well, most of which cost at least 30% over what the MSRP is for the TRP, some 100% higher.

The TRP performs at the same level, doing the same tasks, for a price an individual officer or user can justify to the wife.

richardk1911
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
The bottom line is USED TRP operator is not worth $1800 " . "

It's a production 1911 NOT a custom 1911.

In terms of the quality.

But, it look very cool indeed.:batman:

viet4lifeOC
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I really, really wanted a TRP with full rails because of the cool buffed out look of the gun.
I read up a lot on various forums looking for an excuse to justify buying it.
But for the asking prices on calguns...I simply couldn't justify buying a used production gun with MIM parts when I could easily buy a new, semi-custom Les Baer TRS.

Again...It would look cool at the range, but I would look foolish had I told any knowledgeable gun hobbist what I paid for it.

Again...The TRP is a great gun..production or not...FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

richardk1911
01-24-2011, 2:50 PM
Yes indeed for the right price.

I really, really wanted a TRP with full rails because of the cool buffed out look of the gun.
I read up a lot on various forums looking for an excuse to justify buying it.
But for the asking prices on calguns...I simply couldn't justify buying a used production gun with MIM parts when I could easily buy a new, semi-custom Les Baer TRS.

Again...It would look cool at the range, but I would look foolish had I told any knowledgeable gun hobbist what I paid for it.

Again...The TRP is a great gun..production or not...FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

Jonathan Doe
01-25-2011, 7:29 PM
post pix!

+1

Love to see other peoples one offs!

Here it is:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/For%20Sale/DSC_0006.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/For%20Sale/DSC_0004.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/For%20Sale/DSC_0003.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/For%20Sale/DSC_0001.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/For%20Sale/DSC_0003Large-3.jpg

1911Operator
01-25-2011, 7:52 PM
The bottom line is USED TRP operator is not worth $1800 " . "

It's a production 1911 NOT a custom 1911.

In terms of the quality.

But, it look very cool indeed.:batman:

ok? no one is forcing you to pay $1800 on it, it retails in the range of $1500 and sometimes less. if you dont want one, dont get it. Is it worth it? well, thats your own opinion. I know it is to me, especially if I find one used for $1300 used or in that range outside of this crooked state. Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it, every gun is different, your opinion on it is really YOUR opinion. BTW, now your starting to sound like a troll.

dan12580
01-25-2011, 8:01 PM
Here it is:

How much and what's your mailing address?

Cyc Wid It
01-25-2011, 8:08 PM
A heavy gun that nobody makes a holster for? For $1800 I can get upgraded Les Baers, used Wilsons/nighthawks/sa pro.

I can also obtain a Harrison design carry package for ~$1100.

richardk1911
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
The fitting of the slide and the receiver might be second matter

The tightness of the bushing and the slide is also need to be considered.

The bushing on my COLT series 70 MC 1911 bullseye .45 ACP is a screw fixed by

the sight rail screw. It would be needless to mention the barrel / bushing fitting and the

slide and barrel locking. That's what makes the production 1911's and over size parts

hand fitted custom 1911's are different.

Springfield 1911's?

I doubt it. They are more likely drop in barrels

Unless SA custom shop professional series.

richardk1911
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Troll? Am I really?

In first place, I started this thread because, I wanted one and surprised
what peoples are asking for. I didn't say I don't like it or I don't want it
I strongly felt a lot of peoples are manipulated by the SA marketing strategy

Make it cool, Make few, drive people crazy, make more profit.

But the actual quality of the gun? I was surprised a lot of people knew very
little about it. And some people didn't even care.
As a 1911 shooter I couldn't stand it. I didn't mean to offend TRP operator owners.
I just wanted to know the true quality of it so I could make better decision.
It would be the same to everyone else who is reading this thread.

Who would say no to cool looking 1911 ok? no one is forcing you to pay $1800 on it, it retails in the range of $1500 and sometimes less. if you dont want one, dont get it. Is it worth it? well, thats your own opinion. I know it is to me, especially if I find one used for $1300 used or in that range outside of this crooked state. Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it, every gun is different, your opinion on it is really YOUR opinion. BTW, now your starting to sound like a troll.

richardk1911
01-25-2011, 11:34 PM
That is a great shooter. I bet this will out shoot TRP operator
The slide, bushing and the barrel ... all the parts are hand fitted.

Here it is:

Q619
01-26-2011, 2:00 AM
Here it is:

Very nice! Thank you for sharing! I've got a Mil-Spec I picked up for the express purpose of building my dream gun. Instead of having my smith build me a custom off it I'm actually sending it in to Springfield for the work:

-upgrade to custom carry package
-french border top of slide
-nub slide stop
-ball cuts on slide
-radical carry bevel
-undercut trigger guard
-hand checker front strap (25lpi)
-gold bead front sight
-10-8 u notch rear sight (.140'')
-serrate rear of slide to match rear sight
-EGW melt bushing/plug
-S&A magwell matched to frame bevel
-matte black coating (Black T)

Only 4 months!!!! :p this is going to be a rough wait!

B Strong
01-26-2011, 7:38 AM
do you feel the trp is built the same, as a wilson? hawk?

No, but the TRP or any other better quality 1911 pistol will perform the same tasks - the TRP, Kimber TLE/RL etc doesn't have the bling factor, but I know of many top quality pistols that don't make it to the range but once a year, but come out of the safe for bragging rights at every opportunity.

I shoot my guns - a lot. Up until my health issues and the turn my life took last year, i was at Jackson Arms every week, to the tune of approximately 1200 rounds a month - that schedule for several years, and not including classes and re-quals.

Here are some of the 1911 platform pistols in my home safe at this time - a LB TRS, Two F. Bob Chow pistols, the GM with stags (BBQ gun) and the two-tone Combat Commander, a Kimber TLE/RL II with over 5K rounds of ball, 10K of .22 LR, a very early Detonics and a Novak BHP specops in the lower right hand corner

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4650/mvc856s.jpg

I have no problem spending money on pistols for using purposes, but don't and won't own a safe queen for bragging rights. The Novak has had 15K + rounds down the pipe, and I've owned the piece for so long that the nites finally dimmed out.

B Strong
01-26-2011, 8:10 AM
I like to shoot. A LOT. So the first thing I think when I look at a bull barrel is how you remedy a loose fit as the slide wears from contact with the barrel. Do you just have to replace the slide at that point? Put in an oversized barrel and fit it to spec? Weld in new material and re-machine the slide?

Gives me a headache. Bushings work great for me so I'm sticking with them. Easy to replace when accuracy degrades. Not that I've got to that point...

Good question, but I know that the bushing is "softer" than both the slide, and barrel.

I strongly suspect that barrel/slide wear isn't an issue.

12voltguy
01-26-2011, 8:24 AM
Hello fellow calgunners

I just don't get it

$1500 is about right price I think considering rare value not the actual quality of the gun. If you are a serious shooter you will see that If you are a poser may not .:rolleyes:

TRP over SRP? It tells a lot about the shooter I think.

I mean there is nothing wrong trying to be cool or being a poser
But that doesn't sounds right.

LB 1911 are not very pretty but they are great tools for a good shooter.

BTW I thought that Les was with Wilson combat before wasn't he?

ok? no one is forcing you to pay $1800 on it, it retails in the range of $1500 and sometimes less. if you dont want one, dont get it. Is it worth it? well, thats your own opinion. I know it is to me, especially if I find one used for $1300 used or in that range outside of this crooked state. Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it, every gun is different, your opinion on it is really YOUR opinion. BTW, now your starting to sound like a troll.

Troll? Am I really?

In first place, I started this thread because, I wanted one and surprised
what peoples are asking for. I didn't say I don't like it or I don't want it
I strongly felt a lot of peoples are manipulated by the SA marketing strategy

Make it cool, Make few, drive people crazy, make more profit.

But the actual quality of the gun? I was surprised a lot of people knew very
little about it. And some people didn't even care.
As a 1911 shooter I couldn't stand it. I didn't mean to offend TRP operator owners.
I just wanted to know the true quality of it so I could make better decision.
It would be the same to everyone else who is reading this thread.

Who would say no to cool looking 1911

no idea why people might think you are a troll.....:D

Malmon
01-26-2011, 8:59 AM

Good question, but I know that the bushing is "softer" than both the slide, and barrel.

I strongly suspect that barrel/slide wear isn't an issue.

There was a torture test done on a bushingless bull barrelled 1911 with 31 k rounds thru it, stopping only after every couple of thousand to wipe it with paper towel and put two drops of oil, one on each rail. It was done on a Detonics 1911, not a TRP, but the bushingless bull design is similar. The results show no significant wear and was supposedly measured with a laser-equipped measuring device.

This torture test was done may years ago, but I am sure google will be more than happy to help.:)

richardk1911
01-26-2011, 9:38 AM
I believe, there should be not much of difference.
Removing a gap factor ( bushing) mean just a one less thing to worry about for the accuracy and the thick bull barrel might heat up a little slower.
Less muzzle up would be a advantage for faster secound shot too.
Lately, some 1911 manufacturers are switching to bull barrels.
Kimber Custom shop Gold combat use to be barrel /bushing, now they build as bull barreled 1911. So as TRP operator. STI duty one 1911 is also tactical bull barreled 1911 ( Too bad we can't buy here in CA).
So there must be some advantage and more demand for bull barreled tactical 1911 this days.

There was a torture test done on a bushingless bull barrelled 1911 with 31 k rounds thru it, stopping only after every couple of thousand to wipe it with paper towel and put two drops of oil, one on each rail. It was done on a Detonics 1911, not a TRP, but the bushingless bull design is similar. The results show no significant wear and was supposedly measured with a laser-equipped measuring device.

This torture test was done may years ago, but I am sure google will be more than happy to help.:)

sfguyhere
01-26-2011, 9:48 AM
Maybe I missed it, but please post a pic of your wilson, night hawk, and bear together. . . All in the same pic. . .

Hmmm....

gorenut
01-26-2011, 9:59 AM
As much as I like em and actually like the way they look... you never fully realize how ugly a Glock is until its laid next to a 1911.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/SATRPandGLOCK21.jpg

jessegpresley
01-26-2011, 5:14 PM
I like my TRP. Rafter S made a sharkskin holster for me. Here it is chillin' with it's snootier friends.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/saintelvis/TRPVZ4.jpg

Jonathan Doe
01-26-2011, 7:34 PM
Here is another one I put together. This is the better shooter than the other one I posted. This one is in-thewhite Forster steel frame with accurized Colt slide/barrel unit. I can put the guns together, but have no means to refinish it. I will have to send it out.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Guns/DSC_0001Large-1.jpg

Target shot at 15 yards off hands, 20 rounds of Remington match ammo:
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Targets/DSC_0001Medium-1.jpg

247Nino
01-27-2011, 9:11 AM
http://www.themarksman.net/items/271/Springfield+TRP+with+Adjustable+Sights+and+Rail.ht ml

Yes it is a production 1911 but it's build is tight. First thing I do when I pick up a 1911 is shake it to listen for rattle or loose fittings, and then I look at all the seams; slide to frame, back strap to frame; etc...

Brand new $1600 the TRP Operator is a great value, it has everything I was looking for when I sold my Kimber CDP.
Bull Barrel
Adjustable Night Sights
Rail
Magwell
G10 Grips
Skin hating 20LPI front strap

all for $1600 after transfer fees brand new.

I wish I could find a holster for it but I think I'll go with a kydex holster, a gun like this needs something like a custom holster.

GunPhonatic
01-27-2011, 1:29 PM
Its not for everyone. Some people like Half rail or no rail at all. Some dont like the bull barrel. Its one of the most accurate pistols I own( I dont own a hawk or WC or Les baer yet, but will in the near future)

Buyers are going to pay what they want to pay and sellers will sell them at the price they want to sell them for. In the end to me its just a toy.

A heavy gun that nobody makes a holster for? For $1800 I can get upgraded Les Baers, used Wilsons/nighthawks/sa pro.

I can also obtain a Harrison design retro package for ~$1100.
Can you point me in the direction where you can get any of these for 1800, im in the market soon.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa63/jphong1981/DSC_9971.jpg

X-NewYawker
01-27-2011, 1:44 PM
Safariland has a holster for it. As I said, I love the look of this gun. I just couldn't keep one in my house for some reason...